• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    I thought I would share an event that happened yesterday as well as my reflections on it. Here is the event:
    At about 6pm I stopped at Pilot at the 465/37 exit to fill up. Immediately after I pull up to the pump a guy pulls up in a rush to the other side of the pump. He hops out and comes right over to my side of the pump and asks me for some help with gas money. He explains that he is a trucker who got laid off after making the first leg of a trip (apparently his boss just shut down the business while he was on his trip), has borrowed a friend's vehicle, and is trying to get home to Illinois. Since he got laid off away from the home office he wasn't able to collect his pay. In an effort to prove that he wasn't a "bum" who wanted drug money, he insisted that he didn't want cash but would only accept a card payment.

Here is what I did:
    Without really thinking about it, I immediately took the gas nozzle out of the pump and created a physical barrier between me and him when he first came over to my side. I also took a step back and turned my right side slightly away from him and put my right hand loosely in my right pants pocket, such that it was directly over my wallet and my concealed Glock 21. I assessed his body position, especially his hands, which were out of his pockets. I assessed both his clothing (which was normal/average, not really shabby, thuggy, etc.) and his truck (a newer Ranger, with luggage in the bed). I was paying attention to my surroundings, looking for any other person who might be an accomplice to him. I started pumping my gas, and decided that I would buy him 5 gallons of gas. Throughout the remainder of the event, I kept my guard on high and right hand near my right side.

After reflection, here is what I learned:
    1. All of my reactions were pretty much automatic. While I wasn't on 'autopilot', I certainly wasn't reacting slowly and mentally fumbling around trying to figure out what to do.
    2. I was fairly calm and had no hesitation in my actions.
    3. I had a clearly formed plan of what I would do if he 'made a move'. I was completely ready to shout 'stop, back away from me' and move my hand in position to draw if he escalated the situation.
    4. My mental preparation of thinking through various scenarios paid off. I have no formal training whatsoever. I don't go to the range as much as I should, but enough to feel confident in my ability to shoot defensively. My only real 'training' consists of mental scenarios and reading INGO. I am convinced that both are what made me react so confidently.
    5. Situations can occur to anyone, at any time. Always be prepared.
    6. After I left the station, I felt conflicted. Did I just get scammed, or did I really help someone out who needed it? I don't know. But, I feel good that the worst case scenario is that I got scammed for $15, while on the other hand I may have just really helped a guy out for only $15.
    7. While we should remain weary and aware, sometimes people may really need help and we shouldn't pass an opportunity to help someone.

Thoughts?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You did better than I do. I usually hold my hand up and say NO,NO,NO untill they go away.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    It was a very kind thing to do, I am glad to see he got his gas and moved along. As you said if you had the spare cash and didn't mind, WTH ya know he may have really needed it and may appreciate it more than you know. If it was a scam, atleast it was small time and did no real damage.
    I personaly would have said, I wish and started blabbing about my own sob story.:D
    Like I said it was a nice thing to do, but I would have been to cautious about spending the time pumping gas in his truck. I would be thinking, ya here I am pumping gas in this guys truck, now he will probably thump me in the head while I am not looking, fill his truck up and rob me.:rolleyes:
    +1 on the kindness. Be as careful as you can though, there are some real oddballs out there.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    1) You did good.

2) You also got lucky, in that the guy wasn't looking for anything except maybe some free gas.

3) Get some professional training.

i agree with the above. if you or any other citizen is going to carry a hand gun then i believe you have a responsiblitiy to completely be trained on how to use, properly fire, and retain it. and also how to stay out of hazardous situations. at night in that situation i would have told him to get lost. its not a matter of being rude its a safety issue. he pulled up and approached in what i would call a agressive manner, that is a major red flag to me. and actualy in my opinion by pulling the gas pump out and starting to pump your gas i think you gave him a weapon. because for one he could have sprayed gas all over you and if you would have fired you would have been engulfed in flames, or he could have just hit you with the nozzle, or he could have just shot you and not even cared about the hose.
    there are a million different scinarios that we could all think up, but i think just walk away with the knowledge that at anytime and when its least expected you might have to deffend your life against someone who wishes to take it. go get training. there are plenty of classes offered on here. its not just to look cool, they are to save your life. also if you dont know how to retain your weapon then it can easily be taken away from you even by an unexperienced attacker. but im happy you are alive, and thanks for sharing, and good job on staying calm.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Glad that turned out ok. It can be hard to figure out who's "worth" helping and who's just trying to scam you, but being accosted by strangers is always a bit awkward for me. +1 to the get some training idea. For a long time I thought I couldn't afford it because I only knew about the famous places from out of state, but since joining INGO I have learned that top notch training is available right here in Indiana for not too much money. I am signed up for a couple of classes through one of our site sponsors, and I suggest anyone else with no formal training do the same. We owe it to ourselves as gun owners to build upon our skills at every opportunity.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You did well, like Shooter521 has said get some training, and I happen to think that things like that are scams, we all know a family member or friend that could get us home if something like that happened and would be glad to do it rather than have us go around begging and asking random strangers for help. Just my two cents worth, but you did well and you gave it with your heart in the right place, so it is on him if it was a scam. Good for you.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    My cousins car is out of gas down the street, can I get a couple of bucks to fill it up?
    :baby:

Same story different day. Yes you got scammed. Oh well. Live and learn.

I have the same b.s. all the time, people walking down the street will come in, mind you the same people I see all the time walking down the street that live in the area.
    "Hey man, my car is out of gas and I need to be back home to indy or wherever."
    Me - "Yeah, try across the street or the mission - srry"

Now sometimes when you tell them NO you get followed to the next exit
    and they will pull up next to your truck while you are on vacation with your
    family and when they see you are not very friendly when confronted they
    will leave. ;) :D (references old thread printcraft posted way back in 08')

Remember to yell: "DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE, DISENGAGE"

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gas stations seem to be a popular place to scam people.

I've only noticed it in the past couple of years, but it has probably been going on longer than that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Nice of you to help out a stranger that way. Should gain you a few karma points.

You would have looked more intimidating though if you had had kept the nozzle in one hand and whipped out the zippo in the other ;)

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    I had something similar happen to me in Nashville. I was pumping my gas and fella walked up and asked if he could have a few bucks for gas so he could get home. I sad "Sorry friend I dont carry cash just these." and held up a spare mag. You woulda thought I tazed him the was he unassed the AO. He left by way of the side walk, no car. The path to violence usually starts with an "interview" process, its best to stop the cycle early. I don't usually advertise the fact that I'm armed but I had just been released from Walter Reed and was using a cane. I felt it was in my best interest at the time to avoid any kind of conflict.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I had something similar happen to me in Nashville. I was pumping my gas and fella walked up and asked if he could have a few bucks for gas so he could get home. I sad "Sorry friend I dont carry cash just these." and held up a spare mag. You woulda thought I tazed him the was he unassed the AO. He left by way of the side walk, no car. The path to violence usually starts with an "interview" process, its best to stop the cycle early. I don't usually advertise the fact that I'm armed but I had just been released from Walter Reed and was using a cane. I felt it was in my best interest at the time to avoid any kind of conflict.

LMFAO....that was awesome. yeah never a good idea to let them see cash because then they know there is more usually

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The one I've heard a couple of times: "I've already filled up my tank and just now realize I don't have my purse/wallet!"

Funny thing that, I have to prepay about every place I fill up nowadays.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Sound response, but I would have liked something more substantial than a gas nozzle as a barrier. BUT, not Monday morning QB'ing you, I wasn't there and you were so I really don't know what your options were at the time. All that aside, sounds like you're a great guy and hopefully you payed it foward in case someone you love needs some help. That's how I view those incidents.

ABCIndy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I've been approached a few times at that same intersection (465 & 37 south side). I live a mile south, so I stop of Flying J a lot. I've probably been approached like that 4 or 5 times. Helped out someone once or twice with $5 tops, just to make me feel better I guess.

There was one time I was there on my motorcycle. A chilly Satruday morning last spring I think. As I'm getting off the bike I notice a guy walking towards me from the parking area, and I'm the only one at the pumps, so put me on guard (not carrying either). It was enough that I was paying attention to him instead of my normal fuel up routine. He ask for a couple bucks for some coffee, and I told him I didn't have any cash. He contunied to linger around the pumps while I filled up. I finish, and go to start the bike, it's dead. Old battery, and since I was distracted, hadn't truned off the key or unplugged. Headlight is on, driving light is on, gps is on, heated grips are on; still plugged in, so headed jacket and heated pants are on. Yeah, it ain't gonna start. The guys is close enough to realize what's going on when I flip up my helmet in frustration and look around, he asks, "can we push start it?" Worth a try, and luckily enough juice in the battery for the fuel injection to work, and it started. I gave him all the change I had on me, because I wasn't lying, I didn't have any cash.

Okay, that story wasn't needed, but in a sharing mood I guess.

Good job to the OP.

ABC

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    Might of been a scam or might be someone in trouble. Had a friend that that happened too. He was left on his own in Texas to get back to Indiana. Company shut down and left him stranded.

Most times they have friends that will send them money to get home. I did my friend, he dropped the load and only drove back with the truck. Lots cheaper without the load.

You might have been scrammed or helped someone, ten bucks is not that much to use your common sense. You felt you helped, then you did good.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Sounds like you were pretty confident. I just want to say thank you for helping out someone in need.

Most people wouldn't think twice to say no, go away. I've been broken down on the side of I74 twice. Once before the Lebanon Rest Stop and I stood out in the sunset for an hour with no cell phone before some guy who worked for the hiway department stopped to give me a jump. When we realized my motor threw a rod he took me to the rest stop. I didn't have a gun then but was way more than grateful. I tried to give him money but he refused. After that experience I started going out of my way to help others in need. Now that I carry everyday I have no problems stopping to ask if someone needs help. Most people refuse, but seem grateful someone stopped.

:+1: for you helping out a person in need.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Thanks all for the constructive replies...that's why I posted. One clarification: it was still daylight and there were another couple cars a few pumps down. Has this occurred at night it would have been totally different. Some responses to some of the comments thus far: in an ideal world yes I would have already some formal training in self-defense with a handgun. The world, however, is not ideal; when I can afford such a class I will be taking one. I do the best I can regarding training: I get out and shoot at least once a month during which I practice some basic firing drills. I practice dry-firing and drawing at home. Regarding whether I got scammed or not, well who cares? If I was able to really help him, then great, but if he scammed me too bad I guess. Please keep constructive thoughts coming- I really believe these dialogues helped me in this situation.

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer
    ...He explains that he is a trucker who got laid off after making the first leg of a trip (apparently his boss just shut down the business while he was on his trip), has borrowed a friend's vehicle, and is trying to get home to Illinois. Since he got laid off away from the home office he wasn't able to collect his pay.

Same story different day. Yes you got scammed. Oh well. Live and learn.

Possible, but the guy's story is one that's played out almost weekly anymore. I recall over the winter, 3 days before Christmas, Arrow Trucking went bankrupt. The office staff was dismissed all at once and shippers were unable to locate their goods for a few days. The company chose to notify the drivers of their 1400 big rigs of the closure not by phone, or Qualcomm, or web, but by shutting off the fuel cards. Over 1000 drivers were stranded, some days away from home, in a vehicle that gets 5mpg without a way to buy fuel. Several drivers chose to steal fuel. Several more parked where they could and hitchhiked. IIRC it wasn't until after Christmas that the finance company behind all those trucks started offering a bounty on their equipment, offering drivers a cash reward or a bus ticket in exchange for bringing the trucks to a participating dealer. Arrow was one of the biggest to go out like that, but the small haulers are folding all the time.

So you see, this could have easily been a scam. Then again, this could just as likely been a guy working to feed his family that actually had gotten the shaft from a boss that was too unscrupulous or too broke to bring the driver home.

Top Bottom