• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    So the general consensus is charcoal is better, but gas for convenience.

At lowes, the 2 popular brands are Weber and Charbroil. Is Weber really that much better?

If I went the Weber charcoal route, which model is the better one to get?
    Does the brand of charcoal matter?
    And what is this chimney thing?

Keep in mind that those two brands are big box, kinda low end products. You will pay much more for a grill from a specialty store. Will it cook better? Maybe. Is there a point of diminishing return? Absolutely. I used to think Weber was so great. But upon close inspection of models from various manufacturers I am seeing that there is not much difference between similarly priced grills. I have had two Weber's and one Kenmore, and my son has a newer Char-Broil. If I was in the market for a moderately priced grill, I'd look really hard at the Char-broil that my son has.

As far as using charcoal, ask the ones touting how great it is how often they use it. Ask them if they cook with it when it's sub-freezing outdoors. Then ask yourself what kind of griller are you going to be. Are you looking to cook up some really tasty meals on the weekends and other occasions? If so, I would go charcoal.

But if you are going to use it 5-6X per week year round then go gas. Yes, it won't taste as good. Yes, it is basically baking outdoors. But if you like the food you cook in your over but would rather take it outside for whatever reason, you won't be disappointed with gas.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Those Traeger's certainly have a following. I had some customers out in the northwest and they raved about them. I never did get a chance to try out some food cooked on it.

Good to hear it's holding up well. Looking at them in the store, they don't appear to be very robust in construction.
    I use my RecTec at least three times a week. I have a gas and a charcoal Weber - just taking up space now.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a 3 in 1 by Smoke Hollow, gas, charcoal, and offset smoker. I've used the gas side maybe 2 or 3 times for convenience, mostly use the charcoal side and smoke box.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I bought a small Solaire infrared grill some years back.
    It cooks steaks and hamburgers as good as ANY steakhouse.
    Infrared is hard to beat.

I still have an old Weber Genesis that I bought many many years ago that still works well but I rarely use it unless I need to grill for a lot of people.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    now, I'll also throw in a pellet grill/smoker. Convenience of gas, because you can plug it in, turn a dial, and basically walk away until it comes up to temp, but it has the taste of charcoal.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never been afraid of using charcoal year round and it isn't uncommon for me to cook outside 3 days a week or more all year.

IMG_1875.jpg

E967F1C2-EE20-45F9-AE70-F82237BA46AE_zpskdq9ee97.jpg

Post roast in a blizzard anyone?

IMG_1864.jpg

Nice pot of fall chili

IMG_1798.jpg

700*F pizza oven? Yeah, got that too.

IMG_1678.jpg

You aren't going to beat the versatility of a ceramic unit and short of knocking it over you won't beat the longevity either. Weather quite literally has zero effect on my cooks. I don't use more charcoal, don't have to check it more frequently and don't have any issue whatsoever holding temps for 18 hours without touching it.

Gas flat sucks. It won't get as hot and doesn't have the flavor of coal. No burners to replace, tanks to fill or rust to worry about. Not sure what is to be touted about it unless mediocre food is your goal.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I can't afford a BGE. My money is still going towards the adoption.

So I'm looking for something a bit more cheaper :)

You can do a lot with a simple and cheap Weber kettle. Hell, if you want one I'll give you mine. You may have to fab up a stand, I can't remember how I modified it to fit into my table but there's nothing wrong with it. I swore I'd never give up my Weber but I haven't used it for anything but storage in years, the BGE does everything I need it to. I'm pretty sure I just removed the wheels and the legs are still functional. I think I have a chimney starter as well. You've got plenty to spend on more important things.

ETA: I just went outside and checked and it's all intact, wheels and everything. It's the model with the removable ash catcher down below and the chimney starter is right there with it. I'm pretty sure I have an unused cooking grate for it as well. Yours for the taking, I live on the NE side of Indy and you're welcome to stop by and pick it up.

It's this model but mine is green: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Orig...pper-Porcelain-Enamel-Charcoal-Grill/50330259

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You can do a lot with a simple and cheap Weber kettle. Hell, if you want one I'll give you mine. You may have to fab up a stand, I can't remember how I modified it to fit into my table but there's nothing wrong with it. I swore I'd never give up my Weber but I haven't used it for anything but storage in years, the BGE does everything I need it to. I'm pretty sure I just removed the wheels and the legs are still functional. I think I have a chimney starter as well. You've got plenty to spend on more important things.

ETA: I just went outside and checked and it's all intact, wheels and everything. It's the model with the removable ash catcher down below and the chimney starter is right there with it. I'm pretty sure I have an unused cooking grate for it as well. Yours for the taking, I live on the NE side of Indy and you're welcome to stop by and pick it up.

It's this model but mine is green: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Weber-Orig...pper-Porcelain-Enamel-Charcoal-Grill/50330259

That's a hell of an offer, good on you. I have a Weber kettle, a UDS smoker, a char griller offset smoker, and a Charbroiler stainless gas grill that I have converted into a dedicated griddle for souls vide searing. They all serve their purpose but the Weber kettle is by far the most versatile.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've two Brinkmann offsets, two Traegers, and a Large BGE. Gas is for heating your home, or turkey frying! Wood, lump charcoal, and pellets are the only fuels for cooking outdoors. The pellet grills have the same convenience as gas grills do, but better flavor, BGE, well, there's pretty much nothing you can't cook with it, and the offsets just make good Q.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have a fancy stainless steel Holland grill. Al I have used the last two years is the old Weber charcoal grille.

rransford

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2016
    Elwood
    I finally put my new CharBroil charcoal grill together last week and used it last night. The major down fall to the charcoal is that you have to wait some time for it to warm up and get all the coals where you want it. I've used gas before. It is nice and all, but I feel it is lacking a certain taste about it. For a charcoal, if you get different briquettes, hickory and such, you can have yourself a very flavorful steak, burger, whatever you are grilling up. The wait for it to warm up is by far worth the wait. But these are also like guns and vehicles, everyone has their personal preference.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So the general consensus is charcoal is better, but gas for convenience.

At lowes, the 2 popular brands are Weber and Charbroil. Is Weber really that much better?

If I went the Weber charcoal route, which model is the better one to get?

Does the brand of charcoal matter?

And what is this chimney thing?

Brand does make a difference but even more importantly, stay away from anything that is "self lighting" and never use lighter fluid. Here's a link for a great website that tests and ranks various charcoals: The Lump Charcoal Database Rankings-- Naked Whiz Charcoal Ceramic Cooking .

Don't let the page name throw you, it's legit. There is a TON of information on that site to help make decisions such as the one you are mulling over.

Chimneys are a quick way to get your charcoal lit: How To Use A Chimney Starter | Weber.com ,

[video=youtube;BlN9jCNdvLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlN9jCNdvLY[/video]

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I've never been afraid of using charcoal year round and it isn't uncommon for me to cook outside 3 days a week or more all year.

IMG_1875.jpg

E967F1C2-EE20-45F9-AE70-F82237BA46AE_zpskdq9ee97.jpg

Post roast in a blizzard anyone?

IMG_1864.jpg

Nice pot of fall chili

IMG_1798.jpg

700*F pizza oven? Yeah, got that too.

IMG_1678.jpg

You aren't going to beat the versatility of a ceramic unit and short of knocking it over you won't beat the longevity either. Weather quite literally has zero effect on my cooks. I don't use more charcoal, don't have to check it more frequently and don't have any issue whatsoever holding temps for 18 hours without touching it.

Gas flat sucks. It won't get as hot and doesn't have the flavor of coal. No burners to replace, tanks to fill or rust to worry about. Not sure what is to be touted about it unless mediocre food is your goal.

I will attest to the fact that phylo does indeed cook out quite often because the sum***** is always putting photos like these here on the forum making the rest of us regret the sad decision to once again opt for the drive thru!:laugh:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I will attest to the fact that phylo does indeed cook out quite often because the sum***** is always putting photos like these here on the forum making the rest of us regret the sad decision to once again opt for the drive thru!:laugh:
    And by drive thru, he means gas grills! Look, not to knock gas grills, after all, ladies need to learn/start somewhere!:dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    She's humming right along after 15 hours. My gasket is shot and when I opened the lid to put the meat probe in this morning the temp spiked and is slowly coming back down.

637BC24A-2F84-4906-9E3A-8C2C445B96F1_zpsieeupoys.jpg

71C4804F-C660-4746-BCE8-869AC4AF8A6A_zpscvjjs4je.jpg

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    She's humming right along after 15 hours. My gasket is shot and when I opened the lid to put the meat probe in this morning the temp spiked and is slowly coming back down.

637BC24A-2F84-4906-9E3A-8C2C445B96F1_zpsieeupoys.jpg

71C4804F-C660-4746-BCE8-869AC4AF8A6A_zpscvjjs4je.jpg

Why is your temp set so low? Bump that up to 230°-240° and that butt would be ready in less time than you've spent getting to to 160°. It's taken all the smoke it will in the first 4hrs anyway, after that, you're just cooking.

Top Bottom