• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scott26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Columbus
    How much fuel do you store for generators, etc?? This year although modest I have increased my storage to 40-50 gallons at all times. Rotating every six months. I just added labels to all my cans to write the purchase date on. Thanks in advance for your responses

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Every person's situation is different. It depends on your location, what you plan to use it for, what you are prepping for... way too many variables. My storage is about the same as yours. My plan is temporary power outage or localized gas shortage for some unknown reason. I have enough to power my house semi-comfortably for at least a week. If the situation is localized enough that I will still be driving 40 miles round-trip to/from work while the generator is burning fuel at home, I may not even make it a week. I wish I had the ability to store more gas, but I don't.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    However much you have, make sure you are rotating it so it stays fresh! 500 gallons of gasoline that doesn't ignite isn't worth very much.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    800-1000 gallons. Stored in sealed 55 gallon drums in open sided sheds in deep shade. Average age of rotation right now is about 21 months. Oldest sealed drum I've opened was 27 months. Looks, smells, and burns just as well as the day it went in. I've been doing it in this fashion for over two decades now.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    800-1000 gallons. Stored in sealed 55 gallon drums in open sided sheds in deep shade. Average age of rotation right now is about 21 months. Oldest sealed drum I've opened was 27 months. Looks, smells, and burns just as well as the day it went in. I've been doing it in this fashion for over two decades now.

Curious. Do you use fuel stabilizer in your drums? I asked because I'm not sure how long gasoline will last if stabilizer isn't used. I know from experience that untreated gasoline will still be good after eight months or so, but I'm not sure how long untreated gasoline will stay useable.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Curious. Do you use fuel stabilizer in your drums? I asked because I'm not sure how long gasoline will last if stabilizer isn't used. I know from experience that untreated gasoline will still be good after eight months or so, but I'm not sure how long untreated gasoline will stay useable.

Sealed tight is the key. Keep the atmosphere out of the container and it will last at least 27 months without stabilizer

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sealed tight is the key. Keep the atmosphere out of the container and it will last at least 27 months without stabilizer

*lolz*

I should also note that I don't completely empty the drums, the intake for my pump sits a couple inches off the bottom so there's 5 gallons or so left in the drum. When I am tight on cash a drum may sit sealed like that for 2-3 months until I can afford to fill it.

Scott26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Columbus
    I am trying to plan for fuel for a month for generator relying on Honda 2000 to keep basics going. I have truck that is not daily driver that is normally fueled as a backup as well. During warm months I can bike to work if needed. Hoping to keep the larger generator to run neighbors well as we have city water. Debating about the natural gas option for one generator but they are expensive. As you can see the planning is not complete

Falkin88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Right now personally I took the buy a 5 gallon gas can per month and fill it and add stabil to it. I did this for 12 months and then started rotating it. Not the largest supply in the world but easily portable and to find places to store it so that I don't have all my fuel in one place.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Where do you put it?

We have multiple areas in conditioned and non-conditioned spaces. Utilize the plastic 5 gal. jugs used commonly by racers. They seal up nicely if you have positive lock vents on them. Easy to move around and rotate. We do not have the area for the 50 gallon drums.
    Yes, we sta-bil our stored fuel.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Personally, I try to follow the rule of "enough gas to completely fill your vehicle once" as a minimum amount of gas to have on hand. I don't do a good job of staying on top of that. For me it's easy to rotate gas with the garden tractor and the amount of land we mow.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Personally, I try to follow the rule of "enough gas to completely fill your vehicle once" as a minimum amount of gas to have on hand. I don't do a good job of staying on top of that. For me it's easy to rotate gas with the garden tractor and the amount of land we mow.

I keep the rigs full when I can and have enough to fill all 3 on hand with more for the gennys. We have a set of electric fuel pumps from an old drag car. 12V mounted on a 2 wheel cart with a good battery to run them. We used them to fill the race cars when we competed. They will suck a gas tank dry pretty quickly.

Scott26

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Columbus
    I recently spray painted a small area white on my cans where I use a sharpy pen to write the purchase date to help with rotation

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    I had a gasoline generator at the old house, switched to propane at the new one.:)

I'm early in the the prepping game when it come to back-up power (read -"I haven't done jack), but this is the route I plan to go. If you own your own tank you can shop around for the best propane price, and it is cheaper and MUCH more stable than gasoline. Only downside is you can't use it to fuel your vehicle unless you have a propane engine (I know Ford makes some vans with them).

Cuttingedge

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jun 10, 2014
    South
    I am not a prepper by any means but I store about 15-20 gallons at all times. Up words or 30 when it's cheap. That's 85% ATV's, lawn mowers and generator though.

Top Bottom