Gay Marriage Debate from a Christian perspective - What Say You?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    No news story behind this thread, just me looking for some insight. Not really looking to validate my stance, but looking to see what arguments are out there from a Christian point of view.

Bit of background. I was raised Roman Catholic, now attending a more universal Christian church and because of this, am having a bit of a mini-spiritual awakening. Listening to a lot of views out there and am having trouble reconciling my views with some others out there. So I'm hoping that those willing to talk about their faith-based stances on this issue can share.

Let me start out by saying that I am 100% against gay marriages, as I view marriage a sacrament. A sacrament being recognized by pretty much every Christian church based on the Bible in which homosexuality is not condoned, and quite obviously considered a sin.

While at the same time I hold the above views, I also believe the homosexuality is not a 'choice' as some would argue, some inherent or genetic. Some may wonder how I reconcile that with a Biblical view that each person is created in the vision of God, and for that I don't have a good answer.

This brings me to the point of civil unions, which I am 100% for. If the government wants to give tax incentives to cohabitating couples, who is the government to decide what the couple consists of, so long as both are humans and of age of consent. If I could draw up a law, every state, county, and city would be giving out 'civil union' licenses and not marriage licenses. End of story.

Now when reading and listening to Christian speakers on this issue, I always hear simply that civil unions are a back-door into gay marriage being recognized. This is the argument that seems to be over-simplified and a bit of a cop-out answer, with little details to backup a simple one-liner of an answer.

So what say you? I would like to hear the reasons that some here may or may-not be for/against civil unions.

This is solely out of curiosity and looking to broaden my views, specifically from those who may be completely against any civil unions. While at the same time, I have a feeling that some true libertarians on this forum may be pretty inline with my methodology.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    5) Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com.
    All Indiana Gun Owners should feel comfortable on this forum no matter their race, religion or color. Everyone is welcome here on INGO and should feel comfortable being associated with this site.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom