• ...and so much more!
  • OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Ok all you mall ninja's!!!

My question is this, for tactical gear do you stay with one manufacturer if they have a good quality even if the price might be a bit higher? If it's a sole US company? Does it's own manufacturing in house? Do you go with whatever is cheaper?

Basicaly what do you look for in your gear and why?

For me I like the smaller guys in the US that make top notch gear with good CS if I can find them and I'll use the all the time. For example my Jones Tactical Belt, I am in need of one that's a bit larger, has velcro on the inside for my ATS war belt, so I'll pony up the extra dollars for one from him because I like the belt I have now. His quality is top notch, all US products, and he hand makes them. Another gear company that I really like is HSGI. I would even go so far as to say if I could find a local Indiana manufacture that had the same stuff I'd buy from them. My only weapons purches have come from Indy Tactical Supply (before he got his store front and was working out of his garage and fire house) and Bradis.

So how about you all?:popcorn:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Almost always it comes down to price for me. I decide what I want out of the gear I am looking for, and get it for the best price I can find it.
    *NOTE* usually "what I want out of the gear I am looking for," includes things like durability which usually keeps me from buying from the bottom of the box companies like Fobus and UTG.
    I do agree that once I find a piece of gear I like (Raven Holsters) I never go back to anything less than that. As far as guns go though, I figure out who has the best price (including online price with transfer fee) and usually go with that. Small parts almost always get purchased online for me, because I decide EXACTLY what brand and part I want and usually no local store carries it so I get it faster and cheaper online.
    :twocents:

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Don't be married to any manufacturer. If the performance of brand X and brand Y are similar find the best price you can for either. Look for clearance items. If chest rig A will work but chest rig B does the same thing and is cheaper, why pay more for similar performance? Be smart and patient.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I am and have always been willing to pay for quality. I'll readily admit to being a gear snob but I rarely have to purchase something twice. 99% of the time you get what you pay for and if someone is selling something similar cheaper there is likely a reason for it. If I'm looking for quality nylon gear I go to Eagle Industries first (I know they have recently begun outsourcing and I only buy their US made gear). If they don't have it I'll look to other US manufacturers. You won't find anything made by Condor, Voodoo or Blackhawk in my kit. I find them to be of inferior quality and I don't appreciate ripoff products. I don't bark at anyone for buying the stuff but I won't.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I am and have always been willing to pay for quality. I'll readily admit to being a gear snob but I rarely have to purchase something twice. 99% of the time you get what you pay for and if someone is selling something similar cheaper there is likely a reason for it. If I'm looking for quality nylon gear I go to Eagle Industries first (I know they have recently begun outsourcing and I only buy their US made gear). If they don't have it I'll look to other US manufacturers. You won't find anything made by Condor, Voodoo or Blackhawk in my kit. I find them to be of inferior quality and I don't appreciate ripoff products. I don't bark at anyone for buying the stuff but I won't.
    Good point, but I will buy cheap first if the idea is the same... for instance, I was not sure I would like the idea of a paralax free unmagnified red dot optic so instead of blowing $500+ on an aimpoint, I got an off brand one to try the concept. Now I like the set up so I am saving for a real aimpoint, and I have a cheaper (not as nice) knockoff to run until I can get the real thing.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Good point, but I will buy cheap first if the idea is the same... for instance, I was not sure I would like the idea of a paralax free unmagnified red dot optic so instead of blowing $500+ on an aimpoint, I got an off brand one to try the concept. Now I like the set up so I am saving for a real aimpoint, and I have a cheaper (not as nice) knockoff to run until I can get the real thing.

Nothing wrong with that. I'm not saying the cheaper stuff doesn't have it's place, I recently purchased a Primary Arms red dot for my 22lr training upper. It's not perfect but it will serve it's purpose fine until I can't stand it anymore and buy another T1/H1, lol.

Just about all of the gear I buy is for work so that is what drives my desire for quality.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I use or have used gear from Eagle, HSGI, DBT, Specter, VTAC and Blue Force. It has all been good stuff, though some items have met my needs better than others. When shopping for new gear, I shop by design first (does it do what I want it to do, and how will it integrate with my existing gear?) and price second. I generally prefer US made, but one "import" company I really like is EMDOM USA. All their stuff is designed in here and manufactured overseas, but AFAIK none of their designs are rip-offs.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    My load bearing vest, m4 poches, patrol pack, are all army surplus. Good quality and good prices, if you dont mind army digital. I have a dump pouch that is maxpedition. I like army surplus, proven reliability and low prices.
    I know maxpedition and blackhawk have good products too!

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I'll generally do all the above, but when it comes to price I won't always spend top dollar if I don't need to. I usually run TAG gear. It may not be the best but it has lasted multiple trips over the pond and it's comfortable. What I mean with the top dollar comment is this though, I won't buy the $400 carrier or bag that will last me 5 years if I can buy 3 or 4 $100-$150 ones that are just as comfortable and would last me 10 years, all for the same price.

I prefer the smaller US made company stuff, but CS has a big part in it for me also. When it comes to gear I intend to USE (in reality, not just cool range gear, but actually overseas) I have to shop for comfort and function first, all other things are secondary.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll generally do all the above, but when it comes to price I won't always spend top dollar if I don't need to. I usually run TAG gear. It may not be the best but it has lasted multiple trips over the pond and it's comfortable. What I mean with the top dollar comment is this though, I won't buy the $400 carrier or bag that will last me 5 years if I can buy 3 or 4 $100-$150 ones that are just as comfortable and would last me 10 years, all for the same price.

I prefer the smaller US made company stuff, but CS has a big part in it for me also. When it comes to gear I intend to USE (in reality, not just cool range gear, but actually overseas) I have to shop for comfort and function first, all other things are secondary.

I've got several pieces of gear from TAG and it's all solid stuff. I hated that they were bought out, I used to wait patiently for their big sales to snag what I wanted. Now their "big" sales consist of free shipping, woo hoo. :n00b:

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i personally like black hawk gear for some reason. just got used to it and have a trust in it which i feel is a big factor. ability to know you can depend on your equipment if need be

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    I usually follow the companies that have maintained their "top Tier" reputations through good costumer service and attention to detail. I very rarely sacrifice quality for price in anything though. I want to know that ALL of my gear will function when I need it to and long after wards!

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    i admit i am a magpul addict

Ya me too. Love the stuff and keep buying it - even got a few others hooked on it. Brand loyalty is dangerous; however, it does make it easier with so many options available. Like Magpul for example has always worked and very fair prices IMO so I will buy their products unless i get one that doesn't meet expectations. I have used and really like Eagle too, and found that I can sometimes get it a great price from natchez or other online retailers. I love and try to buy American products and even will pay more to buy from a local business if I can. My budget is pretty tight right now so I can't pay double or anything....

Top Bottom