• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    I've searched ingo and about as much of the rest of the web as I can and theres not a whole lot of first hand experience on the Gemtech carrier, so I am inquiring to anyone with more info. The following are three thoughts that have landed me interested in the Gemtech carrier....

#1 Not wanting a screw adjustable gas block:
    Running a 10.5 barrel with suppressor and can feel everything is cycling fast and with a good bit of recoil (i know its 5.56 but just speaking relative to other 5.56 rifles). I have two adjustable (SLR) gas blocks... one on a suppressed 308 which really needed it, it runs only three clicks away from closed. And the second, just a mid length gas 16inch 5.56 with the adjustment set for with suppressor as well. The adjustable works great for both of these but is a bit of a pain if wanting to change between suppressed and unsuppressed settings: to remember each setting, count the clicks back in/out, make sure the adjustment screw gets turned every few hundred rounds to make sure it doesn't get stuck too badly, having the correct and long enough wrench with me.

#2 Can't fit other types of adjustable gas blocks under the rail.
    I have looked at the MicroMoa gas block which looks great and can be changed instantly with the tip of a bullet as the tool. Problem here is it won't fit underneath my rail (Daniel Defense lite iii).

#3 Being able to use the Gemtech carrier on multiple rifles
    I know a solution based on the above info would be to run a micromoa block and just sell off the old rail and get a different rail that it fits. The argument against this would be that the Gemtech carrier could be used on multiple rifles. For example, subsonic 300BLK runs great on my 8 inch barrel with specwar 7.62, but supers run the bolt pretty darn fast. The carrier could in theory be run in the "Supressed" setting when shooting supers, and easily flipped to the "unsuppressed" setting to run subs.

So im curious:
    Does anyone have one, have used one, love it, hate it?
    Does it work as advertised in reducing the cycle rate/recoil?
    How well does the venting system stay clean?
    Can it get gunked up or stuck like an adj gas block?

Thanks for any info, theres not a lot out there on the web and I've never met someone who has used the product. THANKS!

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I've researched a bit about it. It seems like a good concept, I've just been hesitant to pull the trigger because it seems that with just the bcg, you wouldn't really be dialed in, just better. Some people say it works great, some people say it works ok. I'd buy one if it weren't 200 bucks plus a bolt.

captcarl

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Agree, just having a bolt come with it would likely get a lot more people on board to try it, which could help their product since so many people are hesitant to buy based on both of those: price and lack of first hand experience.

Jollymon, thx I did read that thread and maybe I'll just have to go the micromoa adjustable block route someday down the line.

Top Bottom