• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I've read about these, and I'm interested in them *if* they work. I just don't want to spend 225 bucks and get a meh feeling about it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've read about these too. For some reason I thought the price was a bit more than $225 though... I'll be interested to hear what people think when they get into more hands.

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I've read about these too. For some reason I thought the price was a bit more than $225 though... I'll be interested to hear what people think when they get into more hands.

Silencershop has them for 225. That's still steep for a Bolt Carrier if it doesn't work wonders. My 10.5 is probably way over-gassed as is, which makes me wonder exactly what this would do for it, or if I'd still need an adjustable gas block on top of it.

If it does what it say, essentially make the rifle shoot the same with a can as it does without the can, I'd be a player for one.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Hey guys, I'm glad you liked the article. Having spent the first 22 years of my life in Indiana, I used to spend a lot of time here on INGO. Sadly, I don't drop by as often as I used to.

milton: The SBC definitely works as intended, but you may have noted that I have reservations about its value on certain rifles. According to what I have seen and what Gemtech has said, the shorter the distance between your gas port and muzzle, the more the SBC will help. If you think about it, that makes sense. Gas ports on SBRs are often quite a bit larger than 16" ARs to compensate for the greatly reduced dwell time. Adding a suppressor effectively lengthens the barrel and adds blowback. By percentage, this added length is greater on an SBR than it is on a 16" rifle with a carbine length gas system (for example).

I still think adjustable gas blocks do more for less money, but they may not be an option in some situations. This is a simple plug and play accessory. Just don't count on huge blowback reductions. By letting the excess gas back into the receiver at all, you're bound to have a gassier rifle than one with a tuned, adjustable block.

LastShot123

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jan 31, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Wouldn't this still make everything filthy as usual? I feel like an adjustable block would still be the cleaner route or am I missing something? Wouldn't the excess gas still be rushing into the upper receiver or leaving through the ejection port cover?

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Wouldn't this still make everything filthy as usual? I feel like an adjustable block would still be the cleaner route or am I missing something? Wouldn't the excess gas still be rushing into the upper receiver or leaving through the ejection port cover?

Yes to all the above. It's part of why I note that an adjustable block is the better option pretty much every time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom