• ...and so much more!
  • Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    So I do a lil night hunting in the southern states from time to time for hogs and other critters. I am putting together a dedicated night gun. I already have a YHM can and with the YHM flash suppressor it will fit right on a Savage Hog Hunter. I ordered a Hog Hunter in 308 and plan to instal a picatinny rail. Lastly I want to put on a dedicated NV unit. I will only being using this gun after dark, so daylight capability is not required. My very limited understanding is that Gen 3 NV units are about as low on the performance level and budget level one can go and still have acceptable performance. My Budget for the sight is about 2k give or take. Any advice or input on this would certainly be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Dwight D

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    I read that entire thread Warthog, thanks for the link. However unless I am mistaken, the recommendations and discussion was about a NV monocular, not a dedicated weapons sight. My question is about dedicated NV rifle scopes.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    True but it does seem to be able to work as a rifle scope. In any case, good luck as I m not the guy to ask obviously. :)

Alan does seem to know about this stuff to so hopefully he will chime in.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    It certainly is great information and I enjoyed reading and learning from it. The information was very helpful, matter of fact it was from that thread I had an important question answered, and that was what "Gen" level one needed to obtain to get decent performance. It seems the consensus was Gen 3 and the post that showed the comparison pictures was especially helpful. For my purposes a dedicated NV scope is what I desire, and that help me decide to go with a Gen 3. If my budget was huge I would get a thermal, but that's just not realistic for me. I am sure as it is, I will be stretching the budget quite tight to get a good Gen 3 NV scope .

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    If you want versatile, night vision is the way to go. But if you want something solely for hunting mounted and mounted to a rifle, I think thermal is the way to go. And the ATN Thor 240 is pretty tempting at about the same price point as a PVS14.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    So I saw the ATN Thor 240 at $3500 , is that a fair price to pay? Is there a stocking night vision dealer around central Indiana that has some of these units in stock so a guy can go see them in person before plunking down all that change?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    So I saw the ATN Thor 240 at $3500 , is that a fair price to pay? Is there a stocking night vision dealer around central Indiana that has some of these units in stock so a guy can go see them in person before plunking down all that change?

I would not go with the ATN Thor 240.

I do not like thermal's with lower than a 320 core.

As far as stocking dealers, I dont know of any in your area that stock that. I stock some higher priced thermal's.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan, what would you recommend?

Just to be honest, I would recommend bumping the budget a touch, and getting a good G-3 rifle scope. I think you would be happier with the performance of 320/640 core thermal, but your wallet would not be happier.

If you give me a day or so I might be able to get you a unit that has a blem in the tube (small dark spot). It would be a 6x zoom, gen 3 scope, and the price would be roughly 3250. Its not in your budget, but if you want a lifetime purchase type scope, the bump in budget is money well spent. If you want a unit that you will want to switch out then the extra money is not well spent.

Top Bottom