• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Well I finally got a look at the new GEN 4 Glock, and I must say I'm left scratching my head. I heard all the rumors and some sounded good and some sounded bad while others were just wishful thinking. Well now I have finally seen it and all the rumors can be put to rest. These are the only mods to the new Glock GEN 4. 1) They added a new gripping texture to the circumference of the grip, which is similar to the RTF2 but has cubes instead of polymids in a larger pattern. This style is called the RTF1 or simply the RTF treatment. 2) They added the much anticipated interchangeable backstraps. Backstrap 1 is a short frame, Backstrap 2 is the standard Glock grip, and Backstrap 3 is a large frame grip. Oh yea and they all have the standard glock arch or "hump" at the bottom of the grip. 3) They have a redesigned mag catch that is user reversible for ambidexterity and it is slightly enlarged, reaching back slightly for easier mag changes. 4) They have added a captive dual recoil spring system, which they say will aid in extending the life span of the gun, and I would hope helps with recoil management as well, though that was not the intention of the design.
    Well there it is, no more rumors no more waiting, this is what the Gen 4 Glock 22 (and subsequent models) will be. I must say it is nice to see a change, but as a serious Glock enthusiast and shooter Iam dissapointed. Did Glock just not listen to what people wanted? The interchangeable backstraps are great, but why wasn't there a flat backstrap included. Shooters have been chopping the back of thier Glocks for years just to get that feel and grip angle and here was an opportunity to give us that. The mag catch is cool I can live with that, I guess I'll have to run one to have more of an opinion. The gripping texture I can probably live with too, it needed it for sure, the GEN 3's are just too slick. The dual spring set up was a good mod as well, the .40 cal. Glocks have always been undersprung.
    Here's the thing, and this is my opinion, but I just felt that after 12 years of developement that this gun would be greatly enhanced with the GEN 4 offering. It certainly is not! A short frame backstrap insert, great, I'm sure it will feel better than the original size for those of us that wanted enhanced trigger reach and control, but how in the hell did they not offer a flat backstrap! This is one of the most sought after after market mods requested by those shooters that send thier guns off to guys like Robbie Barkman(Robar) and David Bowie (Bowie Tactical Concepts). Just look at the CCF raceframe, if there weren't serious shooters out there that didn't want this mod then no one would make money selling it. There is also no change to the finger grooves(still there), the terrible undercut on the trigger guard, or the beavertail area, and there are still no kidney cuts behind and above the trigger. Suffice to say the grip could be alot better and changing a couple backstrap widths and texture isn't going to cut it.
    Don't get me wrong it's not right to look a gift horse in the mouth, I will take what I can get from a company that doesn't want listen to it's customers. Look how long it's taken to get this far. No no, I'm not complaining about what we do have here, just about what we should have. This gun is simply what the GEN 3 should have been. With that being said this pistol (the GEN4) should be light years ahead of the original Glock and that it is not. Oh well I guess they did get rid of those crescent cocking serrations. At the end of the day Iam a Glock shooter and enthusiast, and I'm not going to quit carrying my G32 or competing with my G17 and G34 just because the company doesn't listen, that's what a gunsmith is for anyway. The GEN4 looks like a great Glock and I hope that we will see more than just the G22 before the spring gets here because, yes, even though im *****in' about it, I still want one.:dunno:

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Wow, it sort of sounds like they added some of the same features as the M&P that I just bought, I guess I didn't need to wait, but I still want to see one

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Oh yea your right about that, the M&P is a better gun in most aspects. If they can fix some of the reliability issues that they had and work on that nasty trigger, I would definitely run an M&P. It has the grip and ergonomics I wish the Glock had. I just wish there was as many after market parts as the Glock, though I'm sure there will be someday soon.
    Me and my buddy had a conversation about the GEN4 interchangeable backstraps lastnight and we both agreed that someone will probably make a flat after market backstrap someday to satisfy those of us that want that. Good call!

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    "Captive Dual Recoil Spring" - is that what the 26/27 and 30SF have already?

It would be nice if one could get the same upgraded recoil spring to retrofit a 19/23 or any other existing Glock model, at a reasonable price.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    So just to summarize all the point about the Glock Gen4 ...
    • Initially Glock 17 (9mm) and Glock 22 (.40 S&W) will be available. Compact models will follow later in 2010.
    • Features duel recoil spring which should increase reliability.
    • Features Swappable backstraps.
    • Magazine release swappable between left and right.
    • Old magazines still work, but only when mag release is on left side.
    • Gen4 slide is clearly marked as "Gen4".
    • Retail price for G17 and G22 Gen4 is about $700 (actual prices will be lower than this).
    • Glock will cease sales of the 3rd Generation and RTF models.
    I'm curious as to when this will happen. I guess I better buy all the gen 3's that I want while I can.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I noticed it said the compact models would follow later in 2010, but i noticed nothing for the sub compact. I hope not, as I don't see the point to trying to add all the 4th gen features for a sub compact, i mean for one the recoil rods look about the same now, and for two, who would want adjustable back straps for a gun you can only fit two fingers around?:nuts:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    • Glock will cease sales of the 3rd Generation and RTF models.
    I'm curious as to when this will happen. I guess I better buy all the gen 3's that I want while I can.

Where did you get that information? All I've ever heard is that the 3rds will still be made, the gen 4s are a separate option on the new armorer's order sheet.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Where did you get that information? All I've ever heard is that the 3rds will still be made, the gen 4s are a separate option on the new armorer's order sheet.

I was just going of the link posted above. My armorer's recert is in Feb so I'll ask then.

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    GEN3, RTF2 Production info.

GEN3's will still be produced in all models for quite some time until Glock can get a handle on how the new GEN4's will perform and sell. as far as the RTF2 models. Glock will continue to offer those as an option for those that want it, with no plans of stopping production.
    Just a side note. The RTF2 glocks with the crescent cocking serrations will not be produced anymore, which I'm told will go into effect very soon if not immediatly. So if you like those cocking serrations or just want one as a collectors piece, you better get one now!

kilo11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Avon,IN
    Glock has plans to stop production of the GEN3's only after the specific model has been introduced for a certain time period in the GEN4 trim.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I'll stick with my third gen. I like Glock but these "improvements" seem a bit cheap to me. Put some stippling and a couple of backstraps? Come on.

Top Bottom