• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Has anyone had FTF or FTE with the new Gen 4 Glocks? I currently have a gen 3 17 and have thought in the past of upgrading to a gen 4. I've heard there were some issues with early gen 4s, but that they have now been resolved. Any personal experiences with the gen 4s?

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Eh no problem!

I have had a Gen.4 G22 for three years (early ser.#) and Gen.4 G17 for about two. Over 8000 rounds through the 22 and 2200+ through the 17 and never a single issue with either. :twocents:

PS: I also have Gen.3 G26,G27 and my edc. G30. I prefer the Gen.4 and will be replacing the G30 with a Gen.4 as soon as funds allow.

Mr. Neal

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I also have a G22 gen4. Never had a problem with it had it almost a year. I heard the problem earily on was the guide rod in 9mm I believe... don't quote me though.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    no problems due to recoil spring assembly (RSA).
    The ealry springs were a bit too strong (correct me if I'm wrong here folks), but since Glock did their PR-driven spring "trade-in" (not a recall, notice!!) I haven't heard of any problems that weren't just the ammo or limpwristing the gun.
    One of the nice things about gen3 is the availability of after market parts -- other weight springs, magwells, etc. that are a trickier fit for the gen4 guns.
    I got 2 gen4's and thought it would be great to switch them to lefty mag release and change the backstraps since I'm a southpaw. Joke was on me because I ended up keeping them as close to the gen3 setup as possible.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I haven't been shooting terribly long, but my first gun (about 3 years ago) was a Gen4 G17. My first range trip saw quite a few stovepipes. What I found out quickly is that I wasn't gripping the gun right... can't hold it like you would a cup & saucer! Once I figured this out and got a proper grip, I was good to go. So in my case, it was definitely operator error. To be sure, I also checked to see that mine had the 2nd generation captured spring in it, and it did.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Only problem I've had with any of them I can attribute to ammo. (hard primers)

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III mechanic [FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] --[/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have several gen 3's of various calibers and just picked up a Gen 4 19. I'm not entirely convinced the Gen 4 is an upgrade vs just being a bit different (at least in the 19, the dual recoil spring setup in a 23 might feel like an improvement, but I'd have to try it out). If you like the new texture, and/or need the backstrap/beaver tail then it could be considered an upgrade.

There have been reports of some of the newer Glocks (mostly 9mm, both Gen 3 and 4) throwing brass a little differently and I've seen some of this first hand. I have not really heard/seen much about FTF or FTEs on Glocks with stock parts.

Is there something lacking that you feel the Gen 4 would do better, or are you just wanting a new gun?

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    I purchased a new g19 in 2011 and had multiple BTF. With, essentially, one good eye, this is a no-go. The guy thought I was crazy when I brought it back and took a 50$ loss on an early 2 pin gen 3 before all the garbage internals. Best thing I've done.

From what I read, the weak and erratic ejection is still happening, though the new production ejector/extractor and apex drop ins can fix it for a while. Do a search on m4c for the threads.

I had about 3/15 in my face/hat/shoulder area with my bogus g19

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    The question is: does weak and erratic ejection at the range present a problem in harsher situations. Gun on its side, dirty, whatever you can think of.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I have a gen 4 19 and 23 (among others) and haven't had a problem with either. I've never had a ftf or fte. Both guns throw spent casings to 4 o'clock about 8-10' out. I've also reversed the mag releases to the right side on each because I've found it easier to hit the release with my trigger finger than my thumb. In short, I love both of them.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    No Gen 4 issues of any kind with me. Oddly enough I will get the occasional brass to the head with my Gen3 G30 but no issues whatsoever with any of the Gen4 I have.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I purchased a new g19 in 2011 and had multiple BTF. With, essentially, one good eye, this is a no-go. The guy thought I was crazy when I brought it back and took a 50$ loss on an early 2 pin gen 3 before all the garbage internals. Best thing I've done.

From what I read, the weak and erratic ejection is still happening, though the new production ejector/extractor and apex drop ins can fix it for a while. Do a search on m4c for the threads.

I had about 3/15 in my face/hat/shoulder area with my bogus g19

Yes, brass to face is a different story. on my previous gen3's and even more on my gen4's I've always gotten some brass flung back to my shoulder/head. In fact, this is what I blame for my wife disliking shooting centerfire pistols - she got some .40 and 9mm brass to the forehead and even down the shirt. She is not a big fan. She is one of the main reasons I'm looking for a revolver to add to the collection.
    The brass to face seems to happen more with cheaper/low powered ammo (I'm looking at you WWB and Rem UMC).
    I've had dozens of BTF as a glock owner. Gun still functions well, just annoying that some brass erratically comes right at me and other brass ejects perfectly 6-8 ft to the right. Remember your glasses! I've never felt uncomfortable or unsafe with it, just slightly annoyed.
    Any recommendations on a reliable aftermarket extractor spring/extractor or anything else needed to make it work?

abrams12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Mainly just want a new gun. Would actually prefer to keep my Gen 3 and buy a Gen 4 26 or 19 for a secondary.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    We have 3 gen 4 19's, Austrian, in the family. All have had at least 500 rnds put thru them. No issues with any ammo or firearm. Some of the ammo used has been pmc, critical duty, web, sellier&beloit, tulammo steel, tulammo brass and federal red box. All 115 gr except for critical duty which was 135 gr.

Top Bottom