• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

‌“What we are seeing with young people who come into the workplace, Gen Z, particularly post-pandemic and with this concentration of short-form content, is that they haven’t got the skills to debate things. They haven’t got the skills to discuss things, they haven’t got the skills to disagree. Young people can struggle to work alongside people who do not share their opinions, she said. That is a really dangerous step-change that we are seeing.”

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Can confirm.

I work in a location that has 9 total employees. At 45 years old, I’m the 2nd oldest person there. A couple weeks ago, a group of 4 coworkers cornered my boss in his office and spent 2 hours trying to get me fired because they said I am “grumpy”.

And by “grumpy” they mean that I have zero desire to be a part of their little “friend group” that Doordashes Starbucks every day or spending more time socializing with each other rather than actually doing the job that the company pays us to do. I keep to myself, don’t really talk to anyone apart from work related conversation, and I perform my job very well. That’s not good enough for them.

Keep in mind that these people are all under 30, and were all hired after me. I’m old school and believe that work isn’t social hour and I should be doing what my company hired me to do. They have no tolerance for people who are different than them. And despite the fact that I am the most knowledgeable and competent at my job, they still want me gone because I’m no fun.

I blame social media and lack of good parenting.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Specifically pointing out bad parenting on this. A lot of parents have used electronics as their babysitter. Instead of you being able to teach your world views, morals and pass on your experiences to your kids. No parent can truly know what influences is hiding in their phones and online gaming consoles. And a lot of kids simply don't have any skills they can do with their hands such as swinging a hammer!! I am just thankful I have a stubborn daughter. I kept teasing her that she had no people skills, so she had to prove me wrong!! lol

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    Don't forget, kids these days grow up in an environment that coddles them. There are no wrong answers or dumb questions. Everyone gets a participation trophy. PC police require everyone to think alike. Teasing is now called bullying. It's no wonder they grow into adults that can't believe someone might have a different opinion from theirs.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    This is somewhat funny coming from people who are members of this social media site / echo chamber...
    Yeah, but we at least know how to have differing opinions. There are 100s of pages of discussions on this board about pineapple pizza, for instance, and rarely does anyone get banned for crossing the line in those discussions.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What does that have to do with the ability to engage in critical thinking, to engage in civil discourse, and to articulate logical and cogent counterarguments?
    ...that there are PLENTY of people who engage here who are also basically incapable of critical thinking, engaging in civil discourse, and able to articulate logical and cogent counterarguments.

Note how it's always the "other side" who are the dumb ones? No matter which side you're on?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Don't forget, kids these days grow up in an environment that coddles them. There are no wrong answers or dumb questions. Everyone gets a participation trophy. PC police require everyone to think alike. Teasing is now called bullying. It's no wonder they grow into adults that can't believe someone might have a different opinion from theirs.
    This is correct.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    ...that there are PLENTY of people who engage here who are also basically incapable of critical thinking, engaging in civil discourse, and able to articulate logical and cogent counterarguments.

Note how it's always the "other side" who are the dumb ones? No matter which side you're on?
    The OP isn't about one side or the other, though. Rather, it is that Gen Z, no matter where they lie on the political spectrum, fundamentally lack those skills/abilities.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    This is somewhat funny coming from people who are members of this social media site / echo chamber...
    Cannot say I agree with this. Now I've seen plenty of instances on here where people have acted just as bad as what we accuse of the Left (just about issues more sensitize to conservatives and a Right-leaning world-view), however there are enough cynics and opposing views that prevent this from being an echo chamber. I remember how long it took XMil to get shootered because some didn't want to ban someone just because they had a differing opinion (even though it was more than that with him). Dogpiling does happen, and I'm not necessarily excusing that, but you'll never find a completely non-biased forum setting.

The second thing is that some random wiedos shooting the s**t on a gun forum is somewhat different than being able to operate in a work environment.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The OP isn't about one side or the other, though. Rather, it is that Gen Z, no matter where they lie on the political spectrum, fundamentally lack those skills/abilities.
    One side or the other doesn't only mean political spectrum. In this case sides would be Gen Z vs other Gens.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cannot say I agree with this. Now I've seen plenty of instances on here where people have acted just as bad as what we accuse of the Left (just about issues more sensitize to conservatives and a Right-leaning world-view), however there are enough cynics and opposing views that prevent this from being an echo chamber. I remember how long it took XMil to get shootered because some didn't want to ban someone just because they had a differing opinion (even though it was more than that with him). Dogpiling does happen, and I'm not necessarily excusing that, but you'll never find a completely non-biased forum setting.

The second thing is that some random wiedos shooting the s**t on a gun forum is somewhat different than being able to operate in a work environment.
    Our middle name is "Gun Owners" so you can figure the political leaning.

I've banned 48 from this site. None were for having differing opinions. Being insufferable bomb-throwing trolls on the other hand...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    One side or the other doesn't only mean political spectrum. In this case sides would be Gen Z vs other Gens.
    Generations aren't "sides"; but, for the sake of argument, I'm not going to bother with such semantics.

Gen Z, as a rule, does not have analytical thinking skills, cannot engage in robust argumentation, views logical fallacy as an "own", and has the analytical attention span of a gnat. Gen Z has been conditioned into this state, by virtue of (intentionally) woefully inept education.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

There is certainly at least one person who apparently anoints all of their own beliefs as a product of critical thinking and takes disagreement with those preconceptions as evidence of a lack of critical thought

Very progressive of them

Top Bottom