• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Just to add a point.
    When I say "Gen Z" or whatever gen, or "parents" it is a generalization.
    Not "all" of any group meets the goods, and bads.
    My neighbors have well behaved kids that seem pretty smart.

But, I've seen people screw their car up cause they don't know how to jump it.
    Not know how to use a can opener.
    Not know how to change a tire.
    Waited for their landlord to change lightbulbs or smoke detector batteries.

1st thought.
    I can't believe they don't know how.
    2nd, how about the parents that never taught them.
    3rd, even if your parents didn't teach you, you have the internet to find out things. Or there are often adult Ed classes.
    At a certain point, you have to stop blaming your parents, and go find out.

But then, my parents often made me solve my own problems .
    Here's how to make a fist..oh, you got knocked down, better move faster, punch harder

But, hard to do that if the parents solved every problem.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Can confirm.

I work in a location that has 9 total employees. At 45 years old, I’m the 2nd oldest person there. A couple weeks ago, a group of 4 coworkers cornered my boss in his office and spent 2 hours trying to get me fired because they said I am “grumpy”.

And by “grumpy” they mean that I have zero desire to be a part of their little “friend group” that Doordashes Starbucks every day or spending more time socializing with each other rather than actually doing the job that the company pays us to do. I keep to myself, don’t really talk to anyone apart from work related conversation, and I perform my job very well. That’s not good enough for them.

Keep in mind that these people are all under 30, and were all hired after me. I’m old school and believe that work isn’t social hour and I should be doing what my company hired me to do. They have no tolerance for people who are different than them. And despite the fact that I am the most knowledgeable and competent at my job, they still want me gone because I’m no fun.

I blame social media and lack of good parenting.
    You do sound grumpy, dood, and I'm older than you.

At my office, it's the youngsters putting in 60 hour weeks, they actually care about the goals. It's the old guys that are doing the minimum. Work to pension age, leave, then come back as a contractor because you hid everything to ensure you're needed and can game the system.

I really don't care if they my crew has Doordashes - work hard, play hard, take breaks when you need it. Other jobs I've had in the past had bicycle to take out for a ride when you need a break. We had one employee that bought Popeye's for all of us every Thursday and was a frequent Door Dash user. But that guy was also the one working nights, weekends, and holidays to meet schedule.

If they screw around from 2-3 pm, I don't care because I know they're going to be there at 10pm, then there on the weekends; I can't keep up. I do socialize with them, and I also support them - my job is to mentor them, remove their roadblocks, and keep them on task.

As to "this generation can't communicate", it's all just clickbait flummery. Honestly some of the worst communicators are Boomers. Have you read INGO?

As to work, some of the most verbose and in-depth communicators are the ones under 30 in my industry. I will fight to the death for my GenZ team. (except for one useless waste of oxygen)

But hey, don't let me interfere with the time-honored tradition of s**ting on the next generation.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Can confirm.

I work in a location that has 9 total employees. At 45 years old, I’m the 2nd oldest person there. A couple weeks ago, a group of 4 coworkers cornered my boss in his office and spent 2 hours trying to get me fired because they said I am “grumpy”.

And by “grumpy” they mean that I have zero desire to be a part of their little “friend group” that Doordashes Starbucks every day or spending more time socializing with each other rather than actually doing the job that the company pays us to do. I keep to myself, don’t really talk to anyone apart from work related conversation, and I perform my job very well. That’s not good enough for them.

Keep in mind that these people are all under 30, and were all hired after me. I’m old school and believe that work isn’t social hour and I should be doing what my company hired me to do. They have no tolerance for people who are different than them. And despite the fact that I am the most knowledgeable and competent at my job, they still want me gone because I’m no fun.

I blame social media and lack of good parenting.
    Thats just liberal herd mentality ( under 30 Tik Tok fans).
    Form a group to get rid of those ya dont like.
    The office antifa if you will.

Boomers have a bunch of issues too. Seems like dudes hit 65 and turn into old women.

Not just age dependent, think regional also affecting folks tolerance and overall ability to think ( bad genetics or something in the water? )

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At my office, it's the youngsters putting in 60 hour weeks, they actually care about the goals. It's the old guys that are doing the minimum. Work to pension age, leave, then come back as a contractor because you hid everything to ensure you're needed and can game the system.
    Not that way at mine. I'm close to retirement age and I put in the extra hours at the beginning of the day (4:00 - 4:30 start time, even though my "shift" doesn't start until 6:00) and at the end of the day (sometimes working until 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. if needed). None of the youngsters are doing that. Although TBH, there aren't all that many youngsters in my department. :):

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Not that way at mine. I'm close to retirement age and I put in the extra hours at the beginning of the day (4:00 - 4:30 start time, even though my "shift" doesn't start until 6:00) and at the end of the day (sometimes working until 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. if needed). None of the youngsters are doing that. Although TBH, there aren't all that many youngsters in my department. :):
    The coworker who works directly with me (ring leader of the 4 who call me grumpy) was hired 11 months ago. He has missed close to 2 months of work since being hired due to "not feeling well". I'm sure Jetta has a different experience, but where I'm at, the younger generation is definitely not the ones going over and above.

Top Bottom