• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just ordered 3000 155gr JHP's for 40S&W for $342. That's less than 12 cents a bullet. I've got less than 2 cents each in the primers I have on hand. Reusing my old brass is free but once fired 40 brass can be had for $50 a thousand or 5 cents each. 7000 grains per pound of powder. One INGO dealer said his powder is still roughly $20 per pound. Use a powder that requires 7 grains per round, that's 1000 rounds per pound or 2 cents per round.

Including brass, that's 21 cents per round or $10.50 a box of 50. Can you find any kind of factory 40 ammo for $10.50 per box?

I've got a couple grand in my reloading equipment. I have about 3000 rounds of 40 and 45 on hand so 60 boxes of ammo. In today's prices, I've easily saved $600 just in 3000 rounds. Doesn't take long to pay off.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have been having a hard time getting small pistol primers, but they are out there, just have to drive a bit further. Other than that, I I haven't had problems in the past two and a half years I have been reloading. I normally save $1.50-$3/50 rounds with 9mm, and like $8/50 rounds with 30 Carbine. I have less than $1000 in equipment, so I have definitely made my money back.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    How long are the primers usually good? Do they eventually lose their bang?

All of the commonly available primers on the market today have a virtually unlimited shelf life. Put them into cases as part of properly loaded, finished rounds and they will last for decades. Watch out for "lead-free" primers, which are being pushed onto the market by anti-gun groups, posing under the guise of "safety" from lead products. These Trojan Horse products DO have a limited shelf life of somewhere between 1 and 5 years. Their main purpose seems to be fairly clear...subverting the efforts of reloaders and ammo hoarders by making ammunition fail after a certain time. What a HORRIBLE idea that is, huh?

I can see the lawsuit, now: "Man sues maker of lead-free primer because his gun failed and a home invader killed his wife and children."

To answer the OP: Yes, even reloading components are getting harder to find. Ammo manufacturers make more on a finished product than component manufacturers do, selling just the primers, brass, powder or bullets. So, the ammo companies get the supplies first and us reloaders have to wait. When these products hit the shelves again, demand will keep their price high, for a while. Don't be a sucker. Wait until the mad rush is over and prices come back down a bit. Then, gradually build up a modest stock of what you need to reload.

I feel a bit like George Bailey, telling all of his share holders not to panic during the run on the bank by selling out to Potter. :D (Obscure reference to the movie, "It's a Wonderful Life")

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    it depends on what youre loading really. small pistol and small rifle primers are in short supply. SOME powders are hard to find, depends on how picky you are really on that.

.223 bullets are pretty much non-existent. i scooped up several hundred at the show today and cleaned them out.
    .38 bullets and .40 bullets seem in good supply, not many load .40, i just finished a big batch last night.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    How long are the primers usually good? Do they eventually lose their bang?

The CMP is still selling surplus .30-06 ammo made, (if my memory serves), in the 60's.
    Keep 'em dry, don't store 'em in your hot attic over the summer, and leave 'em in the original boxes.
    For all practical purposes, they'll last forever.

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Watch out for "lead-free" primers, which are being pushed onto the market by anti-gun groups, posing under the guise of "safety" from lead products. These Trojan Horse products DO have a limited shelf life of somewhere between 1 and 5 years.

Fair point.
    I thought I had read they fixed the shelf life problem, but we really won't know untill we try some thats been sitting around for 20 or 30 years will we?
    Till then, listen to Broom_jm and stay away from 'em.

77broncoman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Martinsville, IN
    Interesting point about primer shelf life. I bought 1000 count CCI pistol primers at a yard sale a couple years back that were probably 25 years old. I was a little nervous about reliability, but the price was something like $2.

Loaded 'em all into 9mm and all of them went bang and performed like any other hand load.

Top Bottom