• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Are stations required to have labels on the pumps identifying ethanol?
    I thought Indiana used to, but not anymore. I was trying to find the info at a pump a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping the ones that don't have it displayed are not selling the higher ethanol fuel.

If you see Unleaded 88 anywhere, know that it is 15% ethanol.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I thought Indiana used to, but not anymore. I was trying to find the info at a pump a couple weeks ago. I'm hoping the ones that don't have it displayed are not selling the higher ethanol fuel.

If you see Unleaded 88 anywhere, know that it is 15% ethanol.

I did some searching, but my googlefoo is weak today.

I have noticed some Kroger fuel stations do not have any tags displaying ethanol content which was making me wonder.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    How did you determine that you had fouled plugs?

I would say that running "rich" is the reasons for most of your deposits.
    Rich mixtures cause a slew of problems, pre ignition, it washes the oil off the cylinder walls and dilutes the oil, black smoke out the exhaust, a sluggish performance and other things.
    The Harleys I own, run 1900 to 2400 rpm down the highway. They are air cooled, they tend to run plenty hot. I have a few that I have owned about 40 years, a few have been rebuilt more than once, ive never scene any problems that I or others would equate to leaded fuel.
    I will say that when those engines get rebuilt, they get nickel valve seats and guides.
    If I need to run unleaded its not a problem with doing that.
    It would show up during run up, usually run rough no matter what rpm. It would be really apparent when doing a mag check since the second plug wouldn't be there to cover up the plug or plugs that weren't firing.

Can't say running rich didn't play a role as it was a rental aircraft. I know I would properly lean the mixture and I assume that other renters did if they had the same instructor I did. He was pretty strict on that and had it listed in the checklist, even before taxiing.

Lead fouling occurs when low engine operating temperatures coupled with a rich mixture prevents the complete vaporization of TEL.

I haven't personally come across plane with an STC to compare and see if the issue goes away with unleaded fuel. Research into it says that planes running UL do foul less.

The little research I did into generators specifically says they see fouling issues with 100LL.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Typically non ethanol is at least a dollar a gallon more than ethanol gas so if you are not sure from the labels on the pump the price should be a giveaway

Top Bottom