• ...and so much more!
  • BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Why do you guys think that using 100LL is better than using non ethanol and what was the source that convinced you?

I use it not for how it "runs" but for how it "stores".

It may be a debate that never ends, but I seem to have better luck with longer period storage with AV than with non-ethanol mixed with Sta-bill.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I use it not for how it "runs" but for how it "stores".

It may be a debate that never ends, but I seem to have better luck with longer period storage with AV than with non-ethanol mixed with Sta-bill.
    In my experience, E0 stored in an air tight gas can has a pretty long shelf life.
    Here's one list that claims to list many places E0 can be bought at the pump.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Traveling from IN to Wyoming and back, spending quite a bit of time in the Black Hills last week, I was amazed at how much more available ethanol-free gas is in other states. The majority of pumps had an ethanol free nozzle, whereas in Indiana they're pretty few and far between.
    The 'ol Tundra with its tiny tank anyway gets a lot better mileage on ethanol free stuff.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Traveling from IN to Wyoming and back, spending quite a bit of time in the Black Hills last week, I was amazed at how much more available ethanol-free gas is in other states. The majority of pumps had an ethanol free nozzle, whereas in Indiana they're pretty few and far between.
    The 'ol Tundra with its tiny tank anyway gets a lot better mileage on ethanol free stuff.

True.
    I am in the area of an airport frequently. Heck, av is even more convenient! LOL!

DFacres

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2015
    This sphere
    So you burned say 3 1/2 gallons of propane. What was the size of the generator and what load was it running?
    Generator is 12,000w peak w/gasoline &
    10,800w w/propane.
    It was just loping along only running our refrigerator + in the basement another refrigerator & also a full size upright freezer
    IMG_7620.jpeg

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Generator is 12,000w peak w/gasoline &
    10,800w w/propane.
    It was just loping along only running our refrigerator + in the basement another refrigerator & also a full size upright freezer
    View attachment 288827
    That size generator will likely run your whole house (and HVAC if you put a soft start kit on it).

You just need to wire in an inlet and add an interlock on your panel...

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    Not trying to thread jack ........but related ?
    Anyone have any experience using one of these on your generator to add some additional 120v lines ?
    Just wondering if there are any negatives ( safety concerns ) to be worried about .
    Power Splitter.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    From my perspective those things are WAY overpriced for what you get. Its more money but I would get one with a quad box or make my own from home depot parts to give you more outlets

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Why do you guys think that using 100LL is better than using non ethanol and what was the source that convinced you?
    Its not. The lead can foul the spark plugs on a generator in a day causing it to misfire and bog down under load. In a two stroke, it might be okay. I just dump sta-bil in my fuel cans before taking them to the station. Usually that can sit for about a year from personal experience. Even in aircraft, most people are trying to move toward standard fuels for both cost and engine life.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It's not really better. In a 2 stroke it can add some lubrication.

As BigRed stated it can be easier to find depending on location. I have it less than 5 miles from my home. Ethanol free is closer to 20 miles from my house. I still get the ethanol free because sometimes dealing with the airport can be a pia.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Its not. The lead can foul the spark plugs on a generator in a day causing it to misfire and bog down under load. In a two stroke, it might be okay. I just dump sta-bil in my fuel cans before taking them to the station. Usually that can sit for about a year from personal experience. Even in aircraft, most people are trying to move toward standard fuels for both cost and engine life.
    Ive owned a few old high compression Harleys that were built in the late 70-early 80's.
    That get leaded AV fuel since its not available at the local pumps any longer, I change plugs every years if they go out at all. I've never seen any worthwhile yellow (lead) deposits on a plug yet.
    Two of them I bought new, If one goes on a road trip it gets ethanol free and an additive (Hapco).
    I've stored ethanol free and AV fuel for a few years easily in sealed cans.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    Not trying to thread jack ........but related ?
    Anyone have any experience using one of these on your generator to add some additional 120v lines ?
    Just wondering if there are any negatives ( safety concerns ) to be worried about .
    View attachment 288965
    I have a similar one for RV pedestals. It goes 240/50a to two 120/30a. If the AC is running and the microwave sometimes the 30a breakers on the pedestals will trip but the 50a will handle the inrush current better. The concern is the breaker for the 240v/30a won't trip and your load isn't balanced most likely. You "can" pull say 22 amps through one circuit and overload the wire and plug and the breaker won't trip because it's under it's maximum load. Like everything, if you know what you're doing, you're fine. It's the use this in the wood shop and plug this adapter into a power strip and then fire up a table saw, fridge, air compressor, vacuum and the other plug is just LED bulbs and that's where you run into issues.

jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    Ive owned a few old high compression Harleys that were built in the late 70-early 80's.
    That get leaded AV fuel since its not available at the local pumps any longer, I change plugs every years if they go out at all. I've never seen any worthwhile yellow (lead) deposits on a plug yet.
    Two of them I bought new, If one goes on a road trip it gets ethanol free and an additive (Hapco).
    I've stored ethanol free and AV fuel for a few years easily in sealed cans.
    That is interesting. I run across fouled plugs on the time on aircraft that I rent. So much that my instructor showed me how to clear the issue during a runup. I wonder if the Harleys are being run up to a high enough rpm and far enough into a lean condition during rides, but the generators are too low of an rpm, high load, and running fairly rich.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    That is interesting. I run across fouled plugs on the time on aircraft that I rent. So much that my instructor showed me how to clear the issue during a runup. I wonder if the Harleys are being run up to a high enough rpm and far enough into a lean condition during rides, but the generators are too low of an rpm, high load, and running fairly rich.
    How did you determine that you had fouled plugs?

I would say that running "rich" is the reasons for most of your deposits.
    Rich mixtures cause a slew of problems, pre ignition, it washes the oil off the cylinder walls and dilutes the oil, black smoke out the exhaust, a sluggish performance and other things.
    The Harleys I own, run 1900 to 2400 rpm down the highway. They are air cooled, they tend to run plenty hot. I have a few that I have owned about 40 years, a few have been rebuilt more than once, ive never scene any problems that I or others would equate to leaded fuel.
    I will say that when those engines get rebuilt, they get nickel valve seats and guides.
    If I need to run unleaded its not a problem with doing that.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you can get a tri fuel and some propane tanks then you can keep fuel for years without worries. Propane will normally not produce as many ways of power as gas. 9000 watts to 7800 watts in my case.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Are stations required to have labels on the pumps identifying ethanol?
    Yes, most have 10% ethanol.

That said, I've had no issue with two year old gas (10% ethanol) stored in a red gas can with stabil. Ran one through the generator and one through the mower.

IMO, as long as you use stabil and occasionally rotate them, you won't have any issues.

Top Bottom