• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I have been considering picking up a new generator to have in case of emergency and with tornado season coming you never know about power loss. While the Honda's are NICE they are also expensive. Does anyone know if the inexpensive 3-400 dollar generators like the Rural King models and others are worth the money? What I am trying to figure out is if they will be worth while in cases where I only use them in storms and power outages as I don't have a need for one regularly. Also, is there a certain generator in the sub $500 range that is a good buy to look at? I don't intend on running my house off the generator as I have kerosene heaters, propane grills, and battery back up on the sump pump. I have a need of recharging the battery back up, running the fridge for a few hours, and maybe other small tasks.

Thanks

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Look at what you want to keep running (fridge, heater, etc.) and check their wattage requirements. Then add them all up and buy a generator that can cover that amount. Get a good one. and then start it regularly and keep Sta-Bil in it so the gas won't go bad.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    If you get a cheap one, with dirty (unregulated) power, it can fry the electronics it's running. Keep it on appliances, pumps, and blower motors, you'll probably be fine.

FYI, my Honda 3Kw unit is 11 years old, still running fine. My brothers 4Kw cheapo died at the 3 year mark (motor ran, but couldn't find parts for the stator).

An expensive generator that lasts, isn't expensive any more.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Look at what you want to keep running (fridge, heater, etc.) and check their wattage requirements. Then add them all up and buy a generator that can cover that amount. Get a good one. and then start it regularly and keep Sta-Bil in it so the gas won't go bad.

If you get a cheap one, with dirty (unregulated) power, it can fry the electronics it's running. Keep it on appliances, pumps, and blower motors, you'll probably be fine.

FYI, my Honda 3Kw unit is 11 years old, still running fine. My brothers 4Kw cheapo died at the 3 year mark (motor ran, but couldn't find parts for the stator).

An expensive generator that lasts, isn't expensive any more.

You both make good points. If it were a generator that I was going to use fairly regular then I would not hesitate to spend the money on a honda. I don't even intend on using it much during a power outage except to recharge batteries and other short term uses.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    irishfan, I can't see as clearly into the future as maybe you can.

Therefore, I bought the biggest, most reliable generator I could find and afford. If you were my son asking the same question, that would be my advice.

Just my:twocents:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Considering the fact that we just went thru an ice storm, and half the state decided to go out and buy generators last minute, I would bet you could find a good portion of these people now selling them on ebay/craigslist/etc. I would check there first, may be able to get a great deal on a barely (if at all) used genny.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Considering the fact that we just went thru an ice storm, and half the state decided to go out and buy generators last minute, I would bet you could find a good portion of these people now selling them on ebay/craigslist/etc. I would check there first, may be able to get a great deal on a barely (if at all) used genny.

Thats where I have been looking:D I thought I found a great one but its already gone.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I've got two- one is a 1500 watt Chinese Rural King special. I can't remember the specific name of it, but its the ones that are green. It has worked very well for us for three years, through several outages, one lasting three weeks. I believe they make them up through 3000 watts, last time I checked. From my own experience, I think it would serve your purposes.

The other one is a 5800 watt Suzuki (Robin). Grabbed this one at Home Depot a few years back on sale for $450. She's really nice and comes with wheels to roll it. Cranks up on first pull every time. I think something like this would make a good investment for the long haul. Robin engines have been around a while a have a good rep. This would also offer you more wattage in a convenient package, probably for under $500.

:twocents:

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    When there is a power outage, if you would loose everything in your refridgerator/freezer it does not take much to loose $500 or more. Also in the winter it is sure nice to be able to maintain temperature in your home. In my opinion well worth alittle time and money to be prepared. When there is an outage my home becomes a hot spot, with friends and family coming to "visit" because they know my house will be up and running as normal.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    When there is a power outage, if you would loose everything in your refridgerator/freezer it does not take much to loose $500 or more. Also in the winter it is sure nice to be able to maintain temperature in your home. In my opinion well worth alittle time and money to be prepared. When there is an outage my home becomes a hot spot, with friends and family coming to "visit" because they know my house will be up and running as normal.

You also make valid points to which I want the generator for. I am thinking that a smaller unit may be the way to go for me. I have no intentions of lighting my whole house for hours and only need the basics. The generac looks nice as well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    At my old house I had a disconnect wired that cut the furnace, well pump and water heater. When the power went out I moved the switch, plugged in and fired the generator. I had two 110 outlets to work with after that. Rotated fridge and freezer around with other stuff. That setup worked for 20 years.:)

Top Bottom