• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Share what you know, need to know, wish you had, or don't do what I just did.

I'm trying to pull ideas together. Post pictures or links, and costs if you dare.

I have a Tri-Fuel Generator. I've used gasoline generators and would NEVER go back to using one of those after having this one hooked up to the NG feed.

My redneck solution to quieting down the noise => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...iet_down_that_darn_generator_with_photos.html

One of my experiences with a power outage => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...egrees_blowing_and_drifting_power_outage.html

And interesting thread (not by me) of hooking up a generator => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...reparedness/110997-generator_and_hook_up.html

nmcampbe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Central IN
    If you have a regular gas powered generator, rotating fuel in it is important when they switch between winter and summer blends. I add sea-foam in mine which I have found to be better than sta-bil. I feel more comfortable being able to take apart and clean the carb myself on things like generators because this is usually the problem with engines that sit for any period of time. If you don't have one, get one now, not the day before the ice storm! Watch craigslist, you can find some really good deals on very nice, even new generators.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    A group buy for some 2-71's? I might be up for that, have a few favors with OTR drivers I might be able to call in..

I might start a thread to see about the interest and costs.. I might reach out to the a few sellers of these and see about a group discount..

+1 ralphb72.. Nice looking little dealio..

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    I am trying to figure out a proper solar / alternative / battery solution. One that I can setup for a reasonable price and expand as needed.

Love having a whole house genny setup on my propaine, but also want an alternative so I can have power without running that 24/7

Sorry to tell you but this really is not possible. Reasonable price is the kicker.

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    if your talking about short term use then nat. gas by far is the best way to go, if its going to be a long term thing(SHTF) then we need to think in different ways,no fuel left to run gens. then torn to making your own grain fuel. if its solar then you need to look at nuclear winter from the sun being blocked out....ash or dust...how long will it take to drain your batteries? if we go into a real SHTF type thing we might look at going back to a means of making power from a steam engine to power your generator. we all have tons of things sitting around to burn to make steam....just a ponderance

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    if your talking about short term use then nat. gas by far is the best way to go, if its going to be a long term thing(SHTF) then we need to think in different ways,no fuel left to run gens. then torn to making your own grain fuel. if its solar then you need to look at nuclear winter from the sun being blocked out....ash or dust...how long will it take to drain your batteries? if we go into a real SHTF type thing we might look at going back to a means of making power from a steam engine to power your generator. we all have tons of things sitting around to burn to make steam....just a ponderance

My thought is that if you have a natural gas generator then its pretty easy to run it off of wood gas that you can make simply on your own. Wood gas is also called producer gas.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    If you have a generator that has a Carburetor it is pretty easy to convert it back and forth through NG, Propane, and Gasoline....

True but there are lubricity issues that people need to be aware of. Having a NG or Propane generator pretty much guarantees you also have a pressure regulator that you can feed wood gas through in the event you need/want to switch to that for emergency or long term use.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    True but there are lubricity issues that people need to be aware of. Having a NG or Propane generator pretty much guarantees you also have a pressure regulator that you can feed wood gas through in the event you need/want to switch to that for emergency or long term use.

Pretty easy to Mod a Regulator to do that as well... ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes, assuming you have a regulator. Most people don't. In a SHTF situation how available will they be?

Really?!

You can pick them up at HUNDREDS of places right now new or used. In a SHTF Situation they will be discarded in Thousands of more places... Hospitals, Ambulances, Machine Shops, Garages, Factories, Hardware Stores, Industrial Supplies Stores, Aircraft, Farms, Weld Shops, etc, etc...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes, they can be found now. I actually think you are wrong about them being discarded, I think they will become a lot more valuable.

But if you say they will be thrown out, so be it.
    Most People will not be worrying about what something can be adapted to do. They have been trained for years to think that everything is disposable and can only be used for whatever Purpose the Item was intended to do. You even see it in 3rdWorld Countries and Countries that have fallen below that do to collapses of various reasons. So why would it not hold true here as well?!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    If you're running gas, sta-bil/seafoam will help for several months. However, the ethanol in pump gas is harsh on carb and componets. Be sure to rotate stock. When storing your genny, turn the fuel off and run it until it stops. You don't want to be trying to rebuild a carb when SHTF.

Top Bottom