• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    I've kept it at right about $5.50/box by buying in bulk for 147 grain light (IDPA) loads. I shoot w/ several other reloaders so we purchase coated bullets by the 10K when they go on-sale. I think we bought 25K primers last order... Saving $2.50/box comes out to $50/1000. When you are shooting 4-12K/year, it adds up. I've got about $500 in my progressive press and it takes me about 90 minutes to load 1000 rounds.
    The price difference is greater for 45acp and really gets significant in 38/357 and 44 mag, and even more so in rifle rounds.

However as others have said, reloading for me is also part of the hobby and it gives me something to do after dark.

--Rick

i agree, at least for me, reloading is part of shooting.
    just like picking and sorting brass it's something ive done since i started shooting USPSA 25 years ago.

i just started shooting rimfire steel last year,
    it's another day away from the drudgery of cutting grass, digging holes, working on HER "list" of things to do and everything else thats involved in owning a house.

once my bullet order shows up, then i'll take an hour or so every night and load up ammo for my open gun for this year. every couple weeks i venture out and grab 1000 or so 22LR to "get ahead" of the game for steel. by march i should have enough rounds to get me through USPSA, steel challenge, rimfire challenge, and outlaw steel for the year...

:cheers:

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    Reloading is part of shooting. All the best shooters at the range are reloaders. Tailoring your ammo to your firearms and large volumes of practice ammo will vastly improve you marksmanship. So if you want to be one of the better shooters at the range, start reloading.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Savings will come a long time after you recoup the price of equipment to reload with. If you are a little nervous about reloading, buy plenty of books and STUDY them before you spend money on equipment.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Handloading doesn't save you anything. You will shoot more and have better ammo. Got to consider all the time burglary.

I'm down to 4 bucks using plated pills. Look for deals and don't leave any brass on the range.

Only way to save is buying in large bulk when on sale. Find the deals. Stuff isn't going to get cheaper. It's trippled since I started about 15yrs ago.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    For me, there are some great and peaceful aspects of handloading. I enjoy working up loads and testing them, it becomes like puzzle solving and there is a lot of pride involved when you find that "perfect load".

But when I need to manufacture a boat load of ammo for competition shooting and practice, it becomes much more like work to me. I tend to make competition pistol loads in batches of 1,000, and shoot upwards of 20,000+ competition pistol rounds a year. I wouldn't have it any other way however! Cost savings are the least worthwhile benefit to me.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Doubt you can save much reloading 9mm, as it is one of the cartridges that are used as a "lead" item at many sellers. Son and I (mostly son lately) have reloaded for more than 30 years. We have many thousand of rounds reloaded, and enough supplies, except brass to reload at least 30K+ at this time.

We save all our brass and often pickup range brass so probably have enough to reload the 30K+ without buying anything. We have multiple molds and dies for many calibers, lead pots, heated lubrisizer, several single presses, one rotary plus son purchased a Hornady progressive with all the options and multiple caliber setups (over $2k). We have a lot of lead, powder, gas checks, lube, and commercial and molded bullets stored.

We do save a large amount reloading large caliber rifle cartridges from 30-30 to 50BMG, but in reality will probably never recoup the money we have invested over the years.

However we KNOW we will never run out of ammo, nor have to pay outrageous prices during shortages. We can customize loads for rifle accuracy or load light loads for plinking at will.

This is a HOBBY, we enjoy discussing it, purchasing firearms, shooting etc.. We know we can survive in a SHTF situation. I truly believe that if a SHTF does occur, firearms and ammo will be worth their weight in gold!

No one expects (except fools) to recoup equipment costs and or save money on a hobby. That includes Boaters, Golfers, Fishermen, Hot rod enthusiasts, Woodworkers, etc.. I used to fish a lot, if I figured what I had spent on equipment, boats, baits and travel, for the weight of fish we have eaten, I could have purchased Russian caviar and lobsters for less money!

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    No one expects (except fools) to recoup equipment costs and or save money on a hobby. That includes Boaters, Golfers, Fishermen, Hot rod enthusiasts, Woodworkers, etc.. I used to fish a lot, if I figured what I had spent on equipment, boats, baits and travel, for the weight of fish we have eaten, I could have purchased Russian caviar and lobsters for less money!

It's nice when your 'Hobby' does make money...

I paid for my SCUBA gear and a big pontoon boat by recovering things people lost in lakes & rivers.
    My first business at 13 years old was rebuilding starters, generators, ignition systems on obsolete farm vehicles, later turning that into both heavy equipment & hot rod businesses.
    I sold pelts & fish/turtles from the river when I was young.
    I recondition milbrass to pay for my shooting, and it makes a profit.

It depends on what you are good at, enjoy doing, and how well you spend your time/money.
    I enjoy my machine shop, I enjoy my gardens, I'm OK with reconditioning milbrass for resale.

The idea of sinking $50,000 into a bass boat that goes 70 MPH seems a little silly to me...
    I've never seen a 70 MPH bass, and until someone show me $100,000 in bass sales to pay for that $50,000 boat, $50,000 truck/trailer/plates & insurance to tow it, ect.
    I don't think that's a hobby I'll be taking up anytime soon...

It's perspective...

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I do 9 mm for about 11.5 cents per round, but I always reload 124 grain JHP. It's what I will shoot in self defense/emergency situations, so I practice with it at the same price as (or less than) 115 grain FMJ steel case. All of my 9 mm arms shoot 124 grain better than 115, so I don't bother with 115 any more.

As was said, rifle is a whole 'nother animal. I can reload .308 for less than .25 per round, and get rounds that will kill deer and fit 4 shots under a quarter at 100 yards. Takes some time and skill, but I don't get that from factory ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    People spend a lot of money on hobbies that give no return, i.e. restoring/ showing old cars, golf and bowling. Reloading is a hobby and gives something back (it saves money). The earlier you start, the faster you amortize your cash outlay. I really got involved in a big way when I started precision pistol shooting. I can load a box of 50 9mm match ammo for between $5 and $6 a box of 50. It matches the Atlanta Arms 9mm Match AMU ammo at $27.99/ box of 50! All precision pistol shooters reload unless they are very wealthy. For plinking ammo with lead bullets, my cost is less than $5/ box. Reloading is like anything, It looks very complicated until you start studying it and break down the process into steps. Any good reloading manual will have very good instructions about reloading in the front part. I initially started reloading using a LEE Loader. It takes a long time to load with one, but you can produce decent ammo and it is a simple process. If you shoot a hundred rounds or so every week and have patience, attention to detail, can follow instructions from a manual, and have the time, I'd suggest getting a single-stage reloading kit. After you learn how to set up the dies you'll be able to load that hundred rounds (taking your time) in about an hour or so. If you shoot a very high volume or have little time to devote to reloading a progressive press, like a Dillon, might be in order. Of course you can keep on buying mediocre bulk ammo and spending the extra money to let a factory do what you are capable of, if you only want to shoot 115 gr. fmj 9mm ammo. If you want to try different loads, your cost of factory ammo will go up in price quite a bit more than if you reload and want to try different bullet weights, loads, etc.

Last edited:

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Buying in bulk I can usually keep cost/box of 50 in the $5.00-$5.50 range. The key is finding the load that works best in your pistol and sticking to it. Once you settle on the load, buying in bulk is easy because you are not switching things around. You set up your press with all measurements and parameters in place and lock them down. Consistency is the goal and eliminating variables and changes in the production process simply works. After these first few basic steps, cranking out 9mm on a progressive press is no big deal or burden. Personally, I view it as therapy. LOL

44fire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    Beech Grove
    I think there is a little to be saved reloading your own, until you factor in your time. For me I enjoy the process of reloading so the time is not an issue. I like the process of taking different components and using them to work together, like reloading, building a motor or building something from a stack of wood. If you don't enjoy doing it or you don't do it right then it won't be worth it.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have never reloaded to save money.
    Just did it for performance.
    But things change over time.....don't shoot or hunt as much as I used to.
    And found factory ammo that shoots well enough for yotes and deer.
    No groundhogs anymore, really don't need .5 MOA handloads.

shootr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2015
    Mooresville
    Pick up brass at the range, watch your prices on powder, don't pay more than 29.00 for 1000 primers, I have mine down to 12 cents a round.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How much per round can you get 9mm fmj down to? Ive been hesitant to reload, seems tedious and complicated with all the different powders and primers etc.

If you are only going to load one cartridge, it's not complicated in the slightest. You'll need one powder (of which you'll have many options, mind you), small pistol primers, and bullets. Well, and brass of course. 8 lbs of CFE Pistol will load about 14,000 units of 147gr 9mm.

I can load 9mm, but currently am not doing so. I'd rather use my press time for more expensive cartridges. I load a *ton* of .38/.357 and when I swap out it's usually for either a .45 or .44 of some type. You can save money, but you save more money on some than others. .45 Colt, you'll recoup setup costs pretty quick if you shoot much.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I’ve done the same. With 9mm range ammo down in cost, I’ve been focusing on the more expensive stuff to run. But, if I were only shooting 9mm, I’d reload it again.

Buying in bulk is the key. I love Black Friday sales. I picked up 4000 Xtreme .45 230g bullets at a 15 or 20% discount with free shipping. This year, the discount was not as good but I did grab 2500 .40 180g plated bullets for much less than sourcing locally. I’ve moved to buying powder in 8# bottles to cut costs too.

Lately, I’ve found that listening to an audio book while reloading really makes for a nice evening as long as it’s something that you don’t need to listen to very closely. Neuromancer has been what’s on tap lately.

colt22man

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    .09 cents a round. Xtreme black Friday sale, 9mm 115 gr bullets. $59/1000 shipped.
    Picked up Winchester small pistol primers locally $20/1000.
    Brass is free. Powder loads 2200rounds/lb.
    Retail purchase is double the $$$.

Top Bottom