Genuine ACOG is out of the question... how about a knock off?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gingerbread Man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Columbia
    I'm with RVB. You can spend money on cheap scopes but in the end you have a cheap scope that will not hold zero. IF you can't afford at least a $300 scope you're wasting your money. Spend money on ammo and shoot iron sights until you can afford moderate quality.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    IF you can't afford at least a $300 scope you're wasting your money. Spend money on ammo and shoot iron sights until you can afford moderate quality.

Not nessessarly true. You can buy quality function south of 300 dollars, but you have to be realistic about what your getting, and be very selective about your choice. Typically if it looks to good (tactical) to be true it probably is.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    BTW, the 1-4x scopes that have been suggested can not only be used at 4x like a traditional scope, but can be used at 1x similar to a dot (just not as forgiving in head position). It's what 3-gunners use for a reason, you basically get dual use...

So, just curious, what sits on top of your AR?

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    So, just curious, what sits on top of your AR?

He has PST 1-4

Depends which gun you are talking about....

My current 'bump-in-the-night gun' is irons. I expect it will never be used over 50 yds (though I practice regulary to 200+) and I need it ready "right now." Surefire provides the illumination to see the irons.

I'm currently building a new 'bump-in-the-night gun' which will sport an Aimpoint (for always-on capability) and fixed irons when done.

Another I built for 3-gun has a Vortex HS 1-4 (now they just call it the capped PST). I need it to be fast from point blank to 600 yds. I need it to take some abuse w/o getting my zero knocked out (hence the capped turrets). There are better choices than the PST 1-4, but the cost/benefit curve really goes exponential. You get a lot of scope for the $ in the PST. [I got it before I knew about aaoptics]

My 9mm SBR has an Eotech. The subsonic 9mm is really only effective to 100 yds before it starts to drop like a rock. The dot is perfect for that roll. It's a range/fun gun so always-on and battery life wasn't important and I prefer the sight picture of the eotech vs the tube dot scopes.

I have two others (a 20" post-ban and an old colt sporter ii carbine) that are irons. Basically classic/simple range guns.

I built a gun for my father recently that uses a vortex PST 6-24 FFP since it will be mostly shot off a bench for groups.

Only other optic I use is a c-more on my ipsc open gun.

Notice I identified what roll I want the gun to fill, figured out how I intend to use it, and picked an optic accordingly.

I recommended the 1-4s for you since you stated you "need" something to help your vision but you seem to "want" a dot.

-rvb

Last edited:

Hunter87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Throwing crap on the gun that won't work, won't hold zero, and makes the shooting LESS fun sure won't help them develop a commitment... it'll just become "this sucks, I wanna go play my xbox."

There are some decent suggestions above that while slightly more expensive than some chinese knockoff crap, they will work, and they will hold some re-sell value if you want to change/upgrade later as opposed to some crap optic that will most likely be too busted to re-sell later.

-rvb

Completely disagree with this. I grew up with nothing but a crappy 3x bb gun scope on my .22, and it taught me TONS about marksmanship and skills needed with shooting. This is comparable to saying "If you don't buy your kid a nighthawk 1911, they'll never enjoy shooting handguns."

As far as the OP's question goes, I would definitely talk to Allan about the vortex line. I have both the strikefire and the crossfire 3X9 from him, and love them both. If I remember right, you can buy a 3x attachment for the crossfire also (might want to check with him about that).
    But good luck with your purchase, and I'm sure your boys will be happy with about anything you get them.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Completely disagree with this. I grew up with nothing but a crappy 3x bb gun scope on my .22, and it taught me TONS about marksmanship and skills needed with shooting. This is comparable to saying "If you don't buy your kid a nighthawk 1911, they'll never enjoy shooting handguns."

I'm not saying it has to be expensive, I'm saying it has to work and hold zero. I'd give a crappy chinese acog clone a 50-50 chance of lasting a year. There are probably simple fixed 4x scopes that would be more likely to work and at 1/2 the cost of the knock-off acog.

If an extra hundred bucks here or there was a huge issue we'd be talking about a 10/22, not a .22 AR... :stickpoke:

-rvb

Last edited:

Hunter87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I'm not saying it has to be expensive, I'm saying it has to work and hold zero. I'd give a crappy chinese acog clone a 50-50 chance of lasting a year. There are probably simple fixed 4x scopes that would be more likely to work and at 1/2 the cost of the knock-off acog.

-rvb

Under heavy use, you are probably right about it being 50/50 in a year. But from the sounds of it, it will be under extremely light use.
    Hopefully he will find something that fits both his budget and his expectations.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Under heavy use, you are probably right about it being 50/50 in a year. But from the sounds of it, it will be under extremely light use.
    Hopefully he will find something that fits both his budget and his expectations.

From within INGO....

It's "super sweet!"

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ingo-real-world-reviews/217730-review-acog-clone.html

quote:
    ...after coming back a week later, it shot 1" low!
    Basically, if you want a perfect scope, this sucks. If you have an ACOG on your real rifle, but want a matching training unit for your .22 and don't mind adjusting zero a tad before a range session, it's super sweet

I plugged "replica acog not holding zero" into google, and the above INGO review thread was about the 3rd result....

-rvb

Last edited:

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    Got my ACOG clone about a week ago. Came in an awesome cardboard box... It's held zero pretty well so far on my 5.56 AR. I'd estimate 300ish rounds fired with it. It was fairly easy to zero but the clicks weren't as positive as my Aimpoint PRO, so slightly disappointed. At 200 yards, the girlfriend and I were able to consistently hit a 8" steel plate from Bobcat. Can't say that's much of a track record but I'll report back if it bites the dust (which could be tomorrow or years down the road, just a gamble). Will hopefully have a genuine TA31F by the end of the month. Will compare the two then.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Got my ACOG clone about a week ago. Came in an awesome cardboard box... It's held zero pretty well so far on my 5.56 AR. I'd estimate 300ish rounds fired with it. It was fairly easy to zero but the clicks weren't as positive as my Aimpoint PRO, so slightly disappointed. At 200 yards, the girlfriend and I were able to consistently hit a 8" steel plate from Bobcat. Can't say that's much of a track record but I'll report back if it bites the dust (which could be tomorrow or years down the road, just a gamble).

Hum.. I can see the target...

Low & left. Maybe trigger pull? Not the scope I think.

Thanks for posting wsenefeld! PM me when you're ready to ship it my way.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    I think the low/left could some what be attributed to the strong wind yesterday coming from our right. Also, we originally did a 100 yard zero and were shooting at 200 yards. Might be trigger pull but it's a Geissele SSA-E trigger which breaks VERY nicely. I'll take it out another time or two before the end of the month. It has a built in BDC but I don't think it works. I tried using it but was shooting a bit high. Better to just use the 100 yard hash on the top of the target. Glass on it was nice and clear. It claims 4x magnification, which it might be. It's my only magnified optic so seeing the target brought closer was a big help at 200 yards.

Last edited:

jjacobs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indy S./Bloomington
    I absolutely love the ACOG's, but I have shot a chinese knock off and it held zero very well... so for 15% of the price I think its not a bad option if you have a cheap build going.

Top Bottom