• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    i was introduced to geocaching today and im hooked after finding 4! now im looking into handheld gps'. i was wondering what you guys use. i will post some i find as i look more. $350 is the most im willing to spend but i can get them wholesale. thanks for the input!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have an Garmin Etrex Vista, 12 years old, still works great, also have a Garmin 60CSx, 4-5 years old, love being able to swap chips fast when going out west. I don't cache much, but have friends with the Garmin Colorado 400C, and love them.

Lots of models under your price ceiling, you're gonna have fun shopping!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello Post St. Vincent!

I do not Geocache, and didn't know what it was when I bought my Magellan Triton.

I do not remember the model number Magellan Triton, but it is in color, was on special for around $100, and has all sorts of features. The OS is Windows CE. I'd go get it out of the truck if it weren't spittin' nasty stuff out there!

It can accept SD memory cards, and I have, IIRC, an 8gB in it. I made custom maps and it looks like I've got a portable Google Earth or something. I'd be willing to sell these custom maps, wink wink.

Waypoints are easily marked, as are geocaches.

Triton

It is in full color.

The only downsides are that 1) If you have to use the back light a lot, you'll drain the two "AA" batteries rather quickly. However, I've run it up to a day before on one set of AA, alternating between sunlight and back light, when needed. Bring a four spares for a day or two.

The other issue is that it takes a few minutes to acquire your location. My model lacks an external antennae, and for a few more bucks you can get one with an external that I suppose would boost the gain from the satellites somewhat. From what I understand, though, it takes a few minutes to acquire a usable triangulation from just about any reasonably priced unit.

You can see the satellites in orbit on the unit, and when they turn green, you've got signal, and you also have signal bars similar to a cell phone.

This series hooks up to a computer.

Other than the two issues I listed, I really like this thing. I've never lost signal as some say the cheap units do. If it's a concern for you, just pop a few more bucks, like I said.

Triton <---- is the Magellan Triton series.

Most of the other GPS units in this price range are black-and-white LCD, and are not capable of the map variety or resolution that the Triton is.

That's the only brand with which I have first-hand experience.

Hope this helps!

Josh

THard6

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2010
    Greenwood
    I have a Garmin that is about 5 years old or so and that thing is like a life line. you can plug them into the computer and update maps and everything that you need to do. they're nice to have! and i believe i got mine for around $175 i dont know how much they run now but i'm sure they're cheaper.. and of course if you have a cell phone or one of the newer ones they have built in GPS'

BUT I MUST SAY THE WOMENS VOICE DRIVES ME CRAZY! Lol

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I use an explorist 210. Love that it works on AA batteries, easy to find. It hooks up to the computer to dump in caches to find.
    I thought about the extras like Sd cards, color, etc. but couldn't really justify the extra expense. Plus I'm just cheap.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Burn,

You will want that last one you listed.

You would not believe the amount of memory custom maps take up. I don't recollect how much of my 8gB SD card is being used, but it's at least half.

The Topo! maps and included maps are not, IMO, worth much. Either make some custom ones, or, as I stated previously, I might consider selling/trading a few of mine. They are gigabytes in size, though.

I've honestly thought about geocaching now and again as it does look like fun. When I tried a while back, there were zero folks in my area doing it.

Looks like there are now.

I just signed up here: Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Have fun!

Josh

moischmoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Noble County, IN
    I use a Garmin Nuvi 205. Yeah, it's mostly for automobile use, but it still finds the caches.

Any GPS should work, but one made for hiking would be better, because of the longer battery life, and the ability to put in fresh batteries.

Some GPS's have features specifically for geocaching, like being able to view hints.

A GPS with a memory card slot would be nice too. It's an easy, quick way to add new maps, like topos.

CorvetteTom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Shelbyville
    Do you already have a smart phone?

I use the geocaching app on my HTC Hero. It works pretty good too. Didn't have to fork out $150-$200 for a GPSr.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I use the little yellow Garmin eTrex I bought almost 10 years ago. It's not color, it's not real fancy, has no sexy voice, but it works just fine.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Garmin 60CSx.

If I were starting new again today I would pick up the same unit as they are still a good GPS and now much cheaper than when I bought mine. They do make some pretty sweet new Garmins as well, but they are $$$$$$$.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a 8 year old Garmin e-trex, (the blue one). It doesn't have the bells and whistles the new ones have but serves it purpose. It doe not work worth a darn in the woods however. I didn't think the trees would cause that much inference but they do. I laugh when I see the e-trex geared towards hunters. That would get you lost quick. My son has a app on his I phone that works great for geocachers. I would probably do more if I had that.

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    garmin 60csx. it is an awesome unit. waterproof, shock resistance. it is my gps i take with me on my motorcycle. does everyting i need it to. there are some newer ones out there but they are pricey.

BURNSURVIVOR725

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Vincennes
    Burn,

You will want that last one you listed.

You would not believe the amount of memory custom maps take up. I don't recollect how much of my 8gB SD card is being used, but it's at least half.

The Topo! maps and included maps are not, IMO, worth much. Either make some custom ones, or, as I stated previously, I might consider selling/trading a few of mine. They are gigabytes in size, though.

I've honestly thought about geocaching now and again as it does look like fun. When I tried a while back, there were zero folks in my area doing it.

Looks like there are now.

I just signed up here: Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site

Have fun!

Josh

I bought the 500LE a couple years ago.Fine unit.Price has come way down.You'll be pleased with The Explorist models.
    That is the one i decided on! i cant wait to get it, ive got a lot to learn about this stuff! Josh what advantage would i have by creating my own maps or using yours? this is all new to me and im freaking excited! my friend that got me into geocaching and i are going to go try and find a few tonight. when we get our Magellan's we are going to give bench mark hunting a try too.

Top Bottom