• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Georgia Credit Union Bars Customers From Purchasing Guns With Their Own Money >>> link to story

Georgia United Credit Union recently updated their User Agreement — you know, that wall of text that your financial institution flashes at you from time to time and which few people bother to read. The catch: If you rely on Georgia United Credit Union for your purchasing tool, like, say, a debit card, you may no longer use that to purchase firearms, ammunition, firearms parts, or accessories

I realize that this is in Georgia, which is far away from Indiana, but bad ideas spread much faster than good ideas. Especially bad ideas that want to take away our rights.

Nugget

Milsurp Enjoyer
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 30, 2022
    Morgan County
    This feels like a story because of the headline, but I'm not actually sure there's anything to see here. Did you read the other types of "prohibited payments"?

1705371778579.png

You apparently can't use that account to buy tobacco, prescription drugs, condoms and other sex products, or anything else that they deem to be unclean. No reason to bank with them if you can't spend your own money.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The Credit Union's response:

Recently, part of our account agreement was shared without full context, causing confusion. The information shared only pertains to person-to-person payments and does not reflect how members can use their money. The terms stated are standard, applying for most payment services.

It's another Paypal/Venmo/Apple Pay situation, not letting you buy weapons, tobacco, etc. in person to person transactions.

No effect on person to business transactions.

How burdensome that is is up to the consumer. I don't use any of these payment methods, having closed Paypal a few years ago, and largely due to the lack of any sort of protection and because screw them.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Gun shops have been having trouble with credit card services for a number of years.

Just think about CBDC run by the government, Whatever accounts that are not hacked and robbed blind the first day, will be shut off due to unapproved activity.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    The Credit Union's response:

It's another Paypal/Venmo/Apple Pay situation, not letting you buy weapons, tobacco, etc. in person to person transactions.

No effect on person to business transactions.

How burdensome that is is up to the consumer. I don't use any of these payment methods, having closed Paypal a few years ago, and largely due to the lack of any sort of protection and because screw them.
    I see that now, a P2P service offered by the credit union. Probably something like cash ap?
    Also prohibited,

Tax payments

we may also block and/or reverse payments that involve donations or payments to any charity or non-profit organization unless we have performed appropriate due diligence on and investigation of such charity or non-profit organization

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh, just person to person transactions. All good then. That added context makes it soooooooooo much better. :rolleyes:

Well, better than the ******** media story that kicked it off when it said you can't use a debit card to make the purchase. It's the same as every other person to person service, so not sure why they singled out this particular one.

Like I said, it's up to the customer to decide how burdensome it is, and I don't use any of the p2p pay systems because of lack of protections and because screw them. But decide based on what it actually is, not what the media says it is.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I had a one man gun shop I used to go to several years ago that is no longer around that always listed anything he sold as "Sporting Goods".
    Plus the name of his business gave no indication it was a gun shop.
    There's no way the bank would know when the card was run.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Georgia Credit Union Bars Customers From Purchasing Guns With Their Own Money >>> link to story

Georgia United Credit Union recently updated their User Agreement — you know, that wall of text that your financial institution flashes at you from time to time and which few people bother to read. The catch: If you rely on Georgia United Credit Union for your purchasing tool, like, say, a debit card, you may no longer use that to purchase firearms, ammunition, firearms parts, or accessories

I realize that this is in Georgia, which is far away from Indiana, but bad ideas spread much faster than good ideas. Especially bad ideas that want to take away our rights.
    Looks like they have volunteered to find out if it will effect their business.
    If they don't go belly up, or lose a lot of customers by this others will follow their lead.

If this catches on. Being capitalists I can see a conservative bank starting up and getting our business.

Top Bottom