Georgia Offers Teachers $10K to Carry A Gun ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thanks BW! So much bad news everywhere so it's nice to see a little ray of sunshine.

I hope so.

Liberty Doll does bring up the other edge of the sword though. Could be some nefarious folks just doing it for the money, without regard for the responsibility of firearm ownership and handling.

Tony Katz has often spoke of his opinion that a financial incentive for teachers to carry is a bad idea. Worried about them doing it for the money, then if they ever have to use their firearm may not be prepared mentally or even skilled enough to effectively stop a threat. Not to mention the risk of them losing control of the weapon.

:)

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I hope so.

Liberty Doll does bring up the other edge of the sword though. Could be some nefarious folks just doing it for the money, without regard for the responsibility of firearm ownership and handling.

Tony Katz has often spoke of his opinion that a financial incentive for teachers to carry is a bad idea. Worried about them doing it for the money, then if they ever have to use their firearm may not be prepared mentally or even skilled enough to effectively stop a threat. Not to mention the risk of them losing control of the weapon.

:)
    We lost Coach almost 3 years ago. He would've been the #1 teacher on my list carrying a handgun/providing security until the cavalry arrived on scene.

Mom would be #2 on the list. She was a math and chemistry teacher back in the day. She was the oldest of 7 kids and all of them could shoot. Her Dad (my Grandfather) came out of eastern Kentucky and was an incredible shot. That's the side of the family the McCoy blood comes from. She wouldn't hesitate to do what needed to be done.

After that, I don't know. I'd definitely pay them for their time beyond when they are in school, but not more. You want the ones who want to be there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Agreed, IF they are going to be paid then there should be quality training as well as a shooting test to qualify. I'm certain some would consider it just another 10 grand a year without thinking about the huge responsibility involved.
    We lost Coach almost 3 years ago. He would've been the #1 teacher on my list carrying a handgun/providing security until the cavalry arrived on scene.

Mom would be #2 on the list. She was a math and chemistry teacher back in the day. She was the oldest of 7 kids and all of them could shoot. Her Dad (my Grandfather) came out of eastern Kentucky and was an incredible shot. That's the side of the family the McCoy blood comes from. She wouldn't hesitate to do what needed to be done.

After that, I don't know. I'd definitely pay them for their time beyond when they are in school, but not more. You want the ones who want to be there.

I'd love to hear Coach's opinion on paying teachers for carry. We spoke of teachers carrying a lot, but never got to the idea of pay incentive to do it. The hurdles to get an armed Indiana teacher through the front door always seemed massive enough.

I'm not sure why teachers have to be offered the pay incentive to carry? Why not just allow them to carry? Besides being that first hurdle, bypassing liberal school boards, administrations and who knows what else, just knowing there are teachers carrying may be all that's needed to ward off those intending to harm defenseless youth? Even the mentally corrupt would understand schools are no longer a gun free killing zone.

Teachers that qualify to carry at school (without pay incentive) would have skin in the game. They would carry because they feel they can make a difference. Consequently, they would take it seriously. There would be no half-assing.

:dunno:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I kind of agree with the sentiment that they shouldn’t need an incentive to carry… pay for the training yes, but from the moral standpoint, any of them should be ready to carry.

But I love the kick in the groin it gives to the .edu establishment.:ladiesman:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    You're taking someone, giving them more responsibilities, and increasing their skills (and utility to the employer as a result). Why would you *not* financially reward that?
    I'm with bbi on this. If they get properly certified in a handgun course and are then responsible to defend students, why not give them extra pay?
    At least they will be there several minutes before law enforcement officers arrive on scene, and gives everyone in their vicinity a better chance to live in case of school shooting.

Last edited:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I'd love to hear Coach's opinion on paying teachers for carry. We spoke of teachers carrying a lot, but never got to the idea of pay incentive to do it. The hurdles to get an armed Indiana teacher through the front door always seemed massive enough.

I'm not sure why teachers have to be offered the pay incentive to carry? Why not just allow them to carry? Besides being that first hurdle, bypassing liberal school boards, administrations and who knows what else, just knowing there are teachers carrying may be all that's needed to ward off those intending to harm defenseless youth? Even the mentally corrupt would understand schools are no longer a gun free killing zone.

Teachers that qualify to carry at school (without pay incentive) would have skin in the game. They would carry because they feel they can make a difference. Consequently, they would take it seriously. There would be no half-assing.

Id like to see how many teachers are using the paid training by the state to carry. Still annoyed were paying for the training. Not sure why local police debts can't just offer to do it for teachers for free

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    You're taking someone, giving them more responsibilities, and increasing their skills (and utility to the employer as a result). Why would you *not* financially reward that?
    Somewhere there is a happy middle ground. This isn't the Military or IMPD (SWAT is straight vol/no extra pay? WTF?) , so additional work for the same pay should be a no-go.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0

I heard Coach speak about this on numerous occasions and being a teacher he was very passionate about protecting the students in any possible way. The world has devolved considerably since his passing but I never heard him mention paying them although I'm sure he would have favored paying for their time and training to get them qualified. He was adamant about training only those that were interested but I also don't think he would have been opposed to paying them extra.
    I believe if he were in charge of designing the training that he would have demanded they be extremely competent, train regularly to qualify and there would have been an absolute pass/fail standard.
    Unfortunately IF the government ever makes a decision it will likely be too little and too late.

Top Bottom