Germans raising money to feed the hungry in America.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The thing is, here we have "homeless" people standing on the corners with signs saying "Homeless and hungry. Please help. God bless" or some such. You'd be amazed at how many of them will get down right PISSED if you give them food.

No, they're not hungry, and probably not even homeless. It's a scam, and one that pays pretty well for some of them. I'm not saying that all of them are scammers, but enough of them are that I don't give them anything. There are places that offer legitimate help for those in legitimate need. I'd rather donate to those places than give these street corner grifters a dime.
    Can confirm.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    It's a profitable cottage industry. There was a fellow out at 332 and 69 who was there so regularly that someone investigated him. He wasn't hungry. He didn't want a job. He just wanted money. And no ones, please.

Last weekend my Buckeye gal and I were in Cincinnapolis. I witnessed panhandler A raising holy hell with panhandler B for being on "her" corner at the end of the off ramp. I started doing my methmouth imitation, and scandalized my poor gf. Sure enough, when we came back by, B had moved, but A was still giving him hell for even being in "her" intersection. It was funny and sad at the same time.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's a profitable cottage industry. There was a fellow out at 332 and 69 who was there so regularly that someone investigated him. He wasn't hungry. He didn't want a job. He just wanted money. And no ones, please.

Last weekend my Buckeye gal and I were in Cincinnapolis. I witnessed panhandler A raising holy hell with panhandler B for being on "her" corner at the end of the off ramp. I started doing my methmouth imitation, and scandalized my poor gf. Sure enough, when we came back by, B had moved, but A was still giving him hell for even being in "her" intersection. It was funny and sad at the same time.

Local TV did an investigative report on the Keystone and 86th exit. There was a hierarchy and schedule. They had the signs all hidden in the brush nearby. They followed them all, they all went to a vehicle parked nearby, they all went to a house. One woman was screaming at the TV crew saying it was her sisters house.

A friend at HD was approached by young woman claiming to need cab fare to get to her kids. He wisely said no, but still it made him feel bad. Same woman approached him at a nearby Lowes two days later with the same BS.

A reporter went undercover panhandling and collected $30k in 6 months in Dallas…

If you give panhandlers money, you are being suckered.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Local TV did an investigative report on the Keystone and 86th exit. There was a hierarchy and schedule. They had the signs all hidden in the brush nearby. They followed them all, they all went to a vehicle parked nearby, they all went to a house. One woman was screaming at the TV crew saying it was her sisters house.

A friend at HD was approached by young woman claiming to need cab fare to get to her kids. He wisely said no, but still it made him feel bad. Same woman approached him at a nearby Lowes two days later with the same BS.

A reporter went undercover panhandling and collected $30k in 6 months in Dallas…

If you give panhandlers money, you are being suckered.
    What I tell my wife when she starts feeling sorry for them, there are many homeless people who are homeless because they’ve had a **** life. And maybe this person has had a **** life too.

But if you really want to help the truly needy, donate to a respectable organization, that actually does some good. Every scammer with a sign that swindles cash out of you means that’s less you have to donate to reputable charities. I don’t give money to people holding signs asking for money.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What I tell my wife when she starts feeling sorry for them, there are many homeless people who are homeless because they’ve had a **** life. And maybe this person has had a **** life too.

But if you really want to help the truly needy, donate to a respectable organization, that actually does some good. Every scammer with a sign that swindles cash out of you means that’s less you have to donate to reputable charities. I don’t give money to people holding signs asking for money.
    THIS!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We were at the Chuys restaurant in Clarksville a while back, and some dude started walking towards us as we were leaving, he says “excuse me sir, I’ve had a run of bad luck, could you help me get back to Indianapolis”?

I was like “sure, just go across that overpass right there, get on 65 north, and you can’t miss it”!

I wish I had video of it, he stopped in his tracks and the confused look on his face was priceless!

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Reminds me of a story when I was a kid...

A local religious person was "accepting donations" for a certain number of local starving, homeless people including children. Of course, he went to the more well-to-do persons to collect. Most gave without question, but one of them asked "What are their names? I'll gladly make sure every single one of them gets new clothes, 3 meals a day, and a clean place to stay" The guy taking the donations said he couldn't give the names "because of privacy" so the rich fella told him if he ever came around bumming again with a made-up story about several hundred anonymous starving homeless people he was going to get shot.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    We were at the Chuys restaurant in Clarksville a while back, and some dude started walking towards us as we were leaving, he says “excuse me sir, I’ve had a run of bad luck, could you help me get back to Indianapolis”?

I was like “sure, just go across that overpass right there, get on 65 north, and you can’t miss it”!

I wish I had video of it, he stopped in his tracks and the confused look on his face was priceless!

I was going into a McDonalds in Louisville and a guy stepped in front of me to tell me about how he needed food for his kids that hadn't eaten in so many days because they were in a fire/accident or some such so I said sure buddy, let's go in here and buy them some food then. He says "Well, they really don't like McDonalds, they really wanted KFC" So I told him to go bum in front of the KFC then and went on my way.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't know how you can see that someone is not hungry.
    Being malnourished is not the same as being hungry.
    You can't tell by looking at people.

You have homeless people in the US, they look for food in dumpsters.
    Clearly it's a thing.

You have hungry folks who are too proud to beg for food, yet they are hungry.
    You're not going to notice their hunger.

Kids who go to school who might only get one lunch a day (from school, no breakfast or dinner at home ... or not enough).

I've never seen a homeless person who refused a sandwich from me and said "No thanks I'm not hungry today".
    I have. Usually it's," I'd rather have the cash."

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Where are these hungry people in the USA?

I've been to poor countries and seen actual hunger. I've been o very poor portions of the USA and have never once in my life seen actual hunger. I've seen people who like free sh!t but never seen one actual hungry person.

Had a friend who was stuck living out of his jeep jumping from national park to national park for a few years.

He ate nothing but 5lb bags of rice and beans when he could make a buck doing an odd job locally.
    So it exists, it's just rare. Largely people who are too proud to accept assistance, or are too stupid to try to get it.

My friend fit into the former group, with the exception that he tried to get VA benefits but was declined for stupid reasons 2 years after applying. I think there's quite a large amount of homeless who fit into this camp.
    There's also a lot that choose to remain homeless because its all they've known after a certain period of time, and cities like San Francisco try to create more of those people.

I convinced him to go back and live with his father, and he did, but he still expresses the desire to go back to that lifestyle from time to time.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    People do fall on hard times, and they do make bad choices. Rejecting help is not always about pride or humility, it is about being civil. For example, a rescue mission has an entrance time. They then lock the doors at a certain point. Once things begin, there is a time for eating, and time for clothing handouts. Lights out time is lights out. Every kid growing up and every soldier on base lives that way.with no problem. If it is a Christian ran place, there is usually a mandatory chapel time. A person does not have to convert, but he does have to sit respectfully, even if that means sleeping in the chair during the service.

No smoking, no cigarettes, no pot, no meth, no needles, no drinking, no sex, no disruptive behavior, no fighting, etc. People would rather sleep outside than act responsibly, that is how most ended up in that condition.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    A few years ago I went to a concert in Chicago with my (now) ex and a few friends. We wanted to take pictures under the marquee, so we messed around for about 10 minutes switching and swapping phones and taking everyone's pictures. Note the guy on the right. He had a sign that said "I'm just hongry." In the ten minutes or so we were messing around taking pictures, I saw NINE people walk up and hand "hongry" guy either a five or a ten. That's anywhere from $45-$90 for ten minutes "work".

1636945506328.png

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    A couple weeks back there was a guy with a sign that said "looking for work, bills to pay." He was holding a "donation cup" and was literally standing at an intersection with a Speedway on one corner and a Luke's on the other. Both of their marquees stated "now hiring." What a ****ing joke!

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    A couple weeks back there was a guy with a sign that said "looking for work, bills to pay." He was holding a "donation cup" and was literally standing at an intersection with a Speedway on one corner and a Luke's on the other. Both of their marquees stated "now hiring." What a ****ing joke!
    He didn't actually want to work but he knew people will give money to make themselves feel like they're good people for helping when they're really not, they're perpetuating the cycle.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There are a lot of beggars and homeless in downtown Chicago. It really isn't hard to tell most of them apart. In Chicago at least, a lot of the homeless have mental issues. I used to give my lunch leftovers to some of them, or buy them a meal at a food truck. Most of the truly homeless won't turn down the food. The ones that try to demand money instead tend to be drunks or drug addicts looking for a fix.

Top Bottom