• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Once again, I'm thinking out of the box here, but does anyone here have a get home/bug out plan that involves using a waterway? I work 11 miles from home, and about half a mile from a creek that passes within a quarter mile of my house. I'm thinking of adding a durable inflatable raft or kayak to my get home gear in the truck. The vast majority of the creek passes through heavily wooded areas, so there would be plenty of places to safely get off the water and hide in a SHTF situation.

I've lived near this creek my entire life, so I'm pretty familiar with the seasonal water levels, and the few dams between work and home.

I'd like to hear from others who may have something like this in their plans........

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Anymore, whenever I think about bugging out by water, I flash on that stupid, stupid woman on Doomsday Preppers whose raison de prep was a Cumbre Vieja-triggered tsunami on the east coast, and her plan was to head to the inter-coastal waterway to bug laterally before landing and continuing to bug inland. She was shown on a practice bug out lugging jumbo packages of paper towels in inflatable rafts. Hint. If you're bugging out away from a nautical threat, best not to head to the very body of water where that threat will be hosted, whether that threat is tsunamis or mere flooding.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Depends on how congested the roads are, how much the state has them roadblocked to prevent human stampedes.

Yes, this is what I'm wanting to have covered! Of course, it would be a last resort to take to the water instead of just taking one of my alternate routes, but I want to have as many options as possible, so I'm thinking one, maybe even two inflatable kayaks would be a good idea. They don't take up much space, and weigh in around 25 lbs. I'm just trying to outfit my truck with everything I may possibly need, and have not seen this topic discussed here before.

strong89

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    behind my work i have a creek that goes almost halfway to my house, then it turns to an old railroad track, which goes just next to my house. i got it set already.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't plan on paddling, but I do know where several creeks, lakes, and ponds are along my route. More for water supply than travel. If I have to go way off-track for some reason, I can follow a creek back towards home (and stay off of roads).

The upside of paddling is speed. The downsides are exposure, seasonal and weather related issues (drought, flooding, etc...), and needing to carry something to paddle. If you lived downstream on a major body of water (White River, Wabash, or Lake Monroe, for instance), I could certainly see paddling to save a huge amount of time. I live near White Lick Creek, and it just isn't navigable most of the year.

Similar to IndyGunWorks, I also know the RR tracks and old rail beds that run near home. Like the creeks, they are kinda out of my way, but are good landmarks and backup routes.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Water is ALWAYS an option for me, mostly as a back door, an escape. I live on three rivers (Fort Wayne), specifically the St. Mary's. Bug OUT is my option for water, but water, in general, whether it is a swamp, a river or the ocean, is my escape route. I will also come from the water if I need to. Water gives me tactical flexibilty that most people do not like.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're only 11 miles from home, what's wrong with a bike? Navigating a creek can be tougher than you think. Pack a six pack and try it on a weekend just to see if it's worth the trouble.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The problem I have with a bike, and depending what the situation is, is the several land routes I would have to navigate/ride through, are heavily populated. The creek runs through woods, where I would expect very few encounters with humans.....at least early on in a shtf scenario.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom