• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Should I get out of .40 S&W for my daily carry?

I currently carry a Springfield XD40 sub-compact. For a long while now, I've been looking to expand my handgun "collection" to include a pocket gun and something "nice" for those "look at me, I'm OC-ing" days. :D

I feel like I've run into a wall, though. Not too many options for pocket .40s. There are plenty more options for full-size .40s, though not as many as .45 or 9mm. For whatever reason, I am stuck on keeping my primary carry guns on the same caliber (that is another whole debate). I originally chose the .40 for a nice combination of power (sits nicely between the 9mm and .45) and capacity (more than the 45, but less than the same gun in 9mm).

So, the question becomes, do I keep looking for the "right" .40 caliber pocket pistol (if it is ever made), or do I relegate my XD to the safe and start over with another caliber? Inquiring minds want to know....

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Why not keep your current sub compact .40? And just buy a pocket gun for those summer days?

There are pocket 9mm's and .380's....

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    I understand what your saying. I used to be die hard 40, and for good reason it is a great round. I ended up buying a smaller 9mm to carry because I was struggling with shooting smaller 40s well also not enjoying it much therefore not shooting as much. That was years ago and I haven't looked back. Now all I shoot is mostly 9mm and I shoot my carry gun more which is good cause I need the practice. I still have a 40 but it mostly sits around.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I always EDC a compact 9mm. A Glock 19.

For those hotter days, I now have a sub-compact Glock 26.

I have no desire to get into a .40, the 9mm suits me just fine. But, later on I do want to get a pocket pistol. Either a 9mm or a .380.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    For whatever reason, I am stuck on keeping my primary carry guns on the same caliber (that is another whole debate).
    If you're talking about a caliber change, I don't think that's another debate at all. There's a handful of "pocket .40s" out there, and I routinely make a G27 with the increased width of a CT lasergrip work in a front pocket with a DeSantis pocket holster. My only issue has been the gun comes out too easily and I've had a few scary moments when it slips out if I sit in a recliner, if I happen to be wearing certain pairs of pants. Just like when starting to carry IWB, choose your clothes right and you'll be able to make it happen. Also with pocketing a Subcompact Glock I get to retain the same exact manual of arms as my full sized Glock, that I also carry regularly; so when push comes to shove the gun functions in the same exact manner and has the same exact trigger feel, break point etc, so regardless of which I pick up, or if I need to transition to a BUG, my thoughts are on handling the threat, not how my gun functions (worrying about manual safeties, different tripper pull, different point of break different location of mag release etc.).

I can also easily say that I don't have an LCP right now because that would mean adding and stocking a 4th handgun caliber, and the LC9 was so big that pocketing the Glock is equally effective. Doesn't mean it won't happen, but that when I was looking at pocket guns it wasn't a sound economic choice, based on costs compared to .40 and 9mm and keeping boxes of all handy so I could go to the range on a regular basis as well as keep a spare box of SD ammo handy. I'd personally rather put more cheaper 9mm or .40 down range and work around carrying the larger gun at this point, that balance will shift eventually (I have at least one specfic point in time in the next 6 months that something small and concealed will be more important than ease of range trips) but I'm of the belief that a gun is wasted as a tool if you're not feeding it regularly to stay proficient with it.

There are plenty of 9s out there in the fullsize/subcompact markets, there are plenty of super compact .380s out there.

And I think this is something to think about when you're considering putting handgun ammo side by side
    Handgun_gel_comparison.jpg

Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums

While there is endless internet debate, about the subtle differences, 9-.45 aren't a whole lot different in their performance; and it's generally commonly agreed there is no one bullet that's a one shot man stopper guaranteed every time, if there was we'd probably all carry it and caliber wars would be gone. Unfortunately there isn't a .22, .32, .380 comparison on such a chart, where all rounds were fired into the same medium on the same testing day under the same exact parameters (if anyone has links to something like that please do share I've been quite interested in this topic the last few months)

• You can keep your full size .40 find a pocket .40; keep on shooting
    • You can keep your full size .40 find a pocket gun in a different caliber and keep on going.
    or

• You can, self your full size .40 find and purchase two new guns and ammo for those new guns

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    When it comes to pocket pistols, there are definitely more choices for 9mm. I guess a "lighter" round suits the "lighter" guns?

It almost sounds like there is no compelling reason to stay with .40 S&W. :dunno:

I don't really have a good reason to keep my carry guns on the same caliber, other than I don't want to stock more calibers that I already have.

9mm does seem to be the most flexible caliber (still), with the widest variety of offerings. Anything from a little pocket gun to a really nice full-size 1911. There are also more than enough ammo choices, and even some +P+ rounds that perform as well as a .40 against gelatin. Add in the fact that it is cheaper (and more available, usually) to buy and reload.

Dang it! I'm starting to talk myself into 9mm.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    Why not take a look at the m&p shield when it comes out in 40? I personally I have not seen or held it in person to know its size but it is very close in size to the kahr pocket guns from what I've seen in a few different threads.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I got out of .40 ~4 years ago completely. I began that process 6 years ago.

Major factors in my decision: Economics and felt recoil

Shooting some defensive rounds in my Kahr CW-40 was NOT pleasant. Quite snappy out of my former P99, too. Can't say it was too bad out of a CZ40-P I had...but that was before I knew anything.

Ballistically speaking, there's just not that much difference between a good high quality 9mm defensive round and it's counterpart in .40.

So...I got out of .40 and haven't looked back. And I HIGHLY doubt I'll buy another.

-J-

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why not take a look at the m&p shield when it comes out in 40? I personally I have not seen or held it in person to know its size but it is very close in size to the kahr pocket guns from what I've seen in a few different threads.

Hmmm... Maybe gun manufacturers have heard me and are introducing some new toys? :D

Kahr pretty much had the little .40 market cornered this last year, with their PM and CM40.

I heard the Beretta will make a .40 version of their Nano (which could be most awesome).

Smith and Wesson is in the game with the M&P Shield? Very interesting... though borderline "pocket" gun.

I know I can cover the full-size in .40 pretty easily. Several 1911's are available in .40, and I *really* like the HK USP Tactical.

So... this is how my wife feels when shoe shopping? ;)

Zeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    dont they make 9mm barrels for most 40 cal guns that you can swap out?
    im faily certain the XDm 40 has a 9mm barrel available, that's what i was going to do just buy a barrel.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I hate to say it, but the Taurus 907 Slim has been the easiest shooting "pocket 9" that I have shot. Too bad it had other problems (shot about 2" low and had a few light strikes... they all went bang the second time).

There is also a 740 Slim. It's going to kick more and the slide will be harder to rack, but it's another option I haven't seen here... and it keeps you in the .40 family. Kahr would be the other one but they are $$$ and I've heard reports about problems cycling.

If you really want to show off while OC'ing, then how about a Springfield EMP 40?

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Personally I'd get out of .40 and go with 9mm. Basically the reasons of cost of ammo, felt recoil, magazine capacity, and the miniscule difference in modern defensive loads in terms of stopping power, penetration, etc, etc. I have never been able to get into the .40 scene. All 9mm and .45acp over on this side of the tracks.

I will not hear any nonsense about the .45acp not being the right hand of Zeus in terms of knockdown power. Everyone knows the .45 will knock a person into David Bowie's Labryinth.

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    I recently made the .40 to 9mm (but kept my .45 because I love the 1911) switch for all of the same reasons that have been mentioned. No regrets here!

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    eldirector - good question to mull over. I am in a similar situation. I have a Glock 35 and a Kahr PM40 for EDC. I carry in a Crossbreed Mini-Tuck holster. I am very satisfied with this setup. However, I keep leaning toward a change to 9mm for my handguns. Like others, I think the differences in ballistics are not worth worrying about. I just like having common ammo for my handguns and I am currently invested in 40 S&W.

Normally if I want to buy a gun, I sell a gun first. What I decided to do now is to buy a 9mm carry piece - probably a Glock - and try it out for a while. I will compare the two compact guns at the range and while carrying, then make my decision. A compelling reason for the switch is affordability of the 9mm ammo.

Top Bottom