• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cool. I'll have to set our feeders up. My wife has a couple "butterfly bushes" (not sure of the real name) that the hummingbirds prefer even over the sugar water. They should start blooming in a few weeks.

Speaking of birds... we have TONS of Goldfinches this year. That, and a few Bluebirds around.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I've got a male Cardinal that is living in the backyard of our neighbor. He is gorgeous and sings me a beautiful song every morning.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    that's ok, I looked it up online

4 cups water to 1 cup sugar

We found some sources that said 3:1 in early spring and fall to help with their migration requirements. Don't know if it's a big deal or not, but we put out 3:1 last week and will go 4:1 around memorial day.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    We found some sources that said 3:1 in early spring and fall to help with their migration requirements. Don't know if it's a big deal or not, but we put out 3:1 last week and will go 4:1 around memorial day.

I just mixed it 4:1 so we'll see. I know they are in the neighborhood but I never get it out early enough to get them here. Hopefully this time I have

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I just mixed it 4:1 so we'll see. I know they are in the neighborhood but I never get it out early enough to get them here. Hopefully this time I have

I'm sure they'll eat it regardless. :D

Our clematis is blooming and I happened to see one checking out the blooms last week. I wonder how long they've been around already?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    My wife has had our feeders out for at least a week or two and we just saw our first ones yesterday.

I wouldn't waste my money on one of those 8 hole feeders. I've never seen 2 drink at the same time. They will fight over it.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    My wife has had our feeders out for at least a week or two and we just saw our first ones yesterday.

I wouldn't waste my money on one of those 8 hole feeders. I've never seen 2 drink at the same time. They will fight over it.

It's fun to watch them fight though.

Sorry I can't rotate this crappy cell phone footage. Running commentary provided by old man hooky and younger brother hooky.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

Yeah, those little needle-nosed buggers will duke it out for sure. I just saw
    the first ruby breasted hummingbird this week and he's frequenting our
    feeder regularly already. We get more action if we have a hanging plant
    with red flowers on one side of a double hook stand and the feeder on the
    other. They just check out the flowers and then feast on the sugar water.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Well I finally saw 2 yesterday. I put my feeder out with my homemade sugar water a few days ago. I was wondering when I would see any. I love to watch them and yes they will fight with each other.
    Glad to see them back.:D

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    they have been here for about 3 weeks now......5 so far.....in about a month they well go threw 3/4 gallon in a day!!......counted 35 wrestin' for 16 holes last year...i mix 1 cup of sugar to 32oz water...

jeepville

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    New Castle
    Saw one on Saturday in our back yard he went right to the window where the feeder was last year. So we put out the feeder on Sunday and haven't seen one since.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    There are not many yet. I do not even see them on a daily basis yet.
    I have 2 feeders out. One in front and one in back. So far not much action. I guess still too early.

Top Bottom