• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got some great pics of a black bear that hung around our fishing camp up in Canada a few years ago. He/she would sniff all around the cabin, and hang out near our little cleaning station.

Bears are super curious, especially when their noses smell something tasty. Luckily, they are also pretty skittish, and will do just like this one did if you startle them.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    That same thing happened to me while bowhunting black bears up in Manitoba in1992.
    I scraped my foot on the bottom of the stand and the bear ran back to the bait.
    I shot almost an hour of vid. on him. After my guide looked at the vid. he said that bear would go 300#.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Thats a rush you don't get deer hunting.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I watched a video once of Marshall Teagues (spl?) ex-football player, bear hunting with a spear!

He was sitting 12' off the ground in a swivel tree-seat (promotional video. can't remember the product name)

Anyway, this brown bear walked up and stood up against the tree he was sitting in, paws reaching up, and this bears paws weren't more than 8-10 inches from Marshall Teagues foot!

He did end up taking a brown bear with a spear, from that stand, but I don't think it was that bear. Don't remember for sure. Been several years ago now.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Six years ago, my family and I vacationed in Alaska. The Mr. and I were hiking along the Exit Glacier toward the Harding Ice Field. Travel was steep and I was slow. I told my husband to go on ahead and I would meet up with him either at the top or when he came back down.

I was just walking along looking things over when a small bear came out of the brush to my right. For a few steps we were side by side. Thankfully, it was not a grizzly(apparently not commonly found in tht area) and I remembered to chatter at him(as we had been directed should contact occur). He completely ignored me and went on his way crossing the path to my left.

I was calm at the time, but I was freaked out later, after thinking about it. I guess I was probably just thinking about seeing a bear here at home. We see lots of them in our woods. We make maple syrup and they love to chew the saplines.

Before we left Alaska, we heard about two hikers camping out in the wilderness area not far from there that were killed in their tent by a bear.

Redskinsfan

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great video, thanks for the post.

Yes, black bears are skittish. They are in abundance on my family farm in Virginia. My brother came across one while picking berries, the bear was doing the same on the opposing side of the blackberry patch. My brother heard something and evidently the bear did too and the bear stood on his hind legs to get a whiff and then they saw each other. Bear and brother took off running break neck speed away from each other.

Terry

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    WOW!!!!! Awesome video. But I would be freaking out and probably would have my gun pointed at him as soon as he started climbing up! Pretty cool though.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Amazing patience and fortitude of videographer. Definitely allowed bear closer than most. Then handled bear deftly. Great post. Thanx.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Amazing patience and fortitude of videographer. Definitely allowed bear closer than most. Then handled bear deftly. Great post. Thanx.

I hope in this situation I can be this cool. I'd hate to think the film would show me falling out of the tree, then my gun going off when I hit the ground.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Hahahahahahahaha.

The FIRST time I have ever truly laughed out loud on INGO.

I guess it's more comical to me to watch the house-trained-dog-like curiousity followed by an immediate reaction of
    crawling back down like it was truly sorry for invading his area. LOL.

Amazing. Love it.

jason765

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Henry County
    I almost got attacked by a wood pecker a few years ago in the stand. Thats kind of the same thing right?:dunno: Makes me wonder if he would have climbed all the way into the stand had the guy not been there. What they don't tell you is that the "hunter" is actually a trespassing poacher and he just got busted in the bear's deer stand.:D

Top Bottom