• ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Thanks everyone.

I’ve never know Chevy’s to have transmission problems; I’m from a GM family.

5.3 liter V8.

If there was a kit with everything I need, and a YouTube video, I could probably do it myself.

Ill have to look into it.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    5000 pounds is not that heavy for your truck. Your truck should have a towing capacity of around 7000 depending on the trucks configuration.
    Don't get hung up on gear ratio of the axles there is more to it than just that number.

I did the math and posted this on another forum when they were complaining about GM going to the lower ratio rear ends.

Since GM went to a 6-speed trans. they have 3.08 and 3.42 instead of 3.73 and 4.10. Here is a chart I posted a few months ago. Don't let the low numbers
    (3.08 and 3.42) fool you.

Trans ratio gearing--4 speed----------6 speed
    1st gear--------------3.06--------------4.03
    2nd gear-------------1.63--------------2.36
    3rd gear--------------1.00--------------1.53
    4th gear---------------.70---------------1.15
    5th gear-----------------------------------.85
    6th gear-----------------------------------.67

Overall gear ratio - trans X rear=overall ratio

-------------------- 4 speed w/3.73-----------6 speed w/ 3.08
    1st gear-----------------11.4-----------------------12.4
    2nd gear-----------------6.1-------------------------7.26
    3rd gear------------------3.7-------------------------4.7
    4th gear------------------2.6-------------------------3.5
    5th gear-----------------------------------------------2.6
    6th gear-----------------------------------------------2.0

I guess it depends on what all you want to do with the truck but it looks like 6 speed with
    3.08 would be better than 4 speed with 3.73 for towing.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Thanks everyone.

I’ve never know Chevy’s to have transmission problems; I’m from a GM family.

5.3 liter V8.

If there was a kit with everything I need, and a YouTube video, I could probably do it myself.

Ill have to look into it.
    I'm sure there is a kit. I'm not a chevy fan at all but I will tell you that I just did my Tundra last winter and I love it. 5.7 with a 6 speed, comes from factory with 4.30 gears and I went with 4.80's as I do some towing and always have a fuel tank and heavy toolbox in the bed and it's is rolling on heavy 35" Nitto's now. Fuel mileage actually went up just a bit contrary to what most people would tell you. Also, going from stock tires with 4.30 to 35's with 4.80 the speedometer is only 2mph off.
    To even mention considering doing it yourself I'm assuming you have the mechanical skills to do the work; watch some youtube vids about getting the gears spaced right and how to use gear marking compound, depending on your setup it can be a very tedious job and you have to make the decision to put it back together and go with it, which was gut wrenching for me. But in the end it worked and I learned something.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That doesn't sound cool at all.
    Welcome to INGO?

We would change tire diameter at certain tracks to optimize the gearing for the conditions. short tire was 29" tall and the tallest was a 32".....It can change the overall but man that would be way short on a tow vehicle to achieve the desired results.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm sure there is a kit. I'm not a chevy fan at all but I will tell you that I just did my Tundra last winter and I love it. 5.7 with a 6 speed, comes from factory with 4.30 gears and I went with 4.80's as I do some towing and always have a fuel tank and heavy toolbox in the bed and it's is rolling on heavy 35" Nitto's now. Fuel mileage actually went up just a bit contrary to what most people would tell you. Also, going from stock tires with 4.30 to 35's with 4.80 the speedometer is only 2mph off.
    To even mention considering doing it yourself I'm assuming you have the mechanical skills to do the work; watch some youtube vids about getting the gears spaced right and how to use gear marking compound, depending on your setup it can be a very tedious job and you have to make the decision to put it back together and go with it, which was gut wrenching for me. But in the end it worked and I learned something.
    You essentially balanced the taller tires with proper gearing. The speedometer differential is also not linear, as you go faster, the speed will be more inaccurate.

Programming for a modern vehicle absolutely should be changed if you alter the final drive. The engine, transmission, stability, and other computers make decisions based off the speedometer and tachometer. If they aren't updated to match the FDR they will be confused at best and at worse will cause driveability issues.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    My half ton 4WD has the towing package and has 6 lug wheels. Never counted how many bolts are in the diff cover but I have had it off a few times to drain and change the lube. 04 Sierra.
    The half tons pretty much all have 6 lug hubs in the past 20 years. "Everyone" generally speaking knows about the 8 lug 14 bolt full float, some are unaware of the 14 bolt semi float 8 lug, and many more are unaware that there is or was a 14 bolt semi float with 6 lug hubs and disc brakes offered in some 1/2 tons.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    If you attempt to do this yourself a word of caution. If the ring gear bolts have a large L on them the old "righty tighty lefty loosey" does not apply. They are left hand threads and righty is loosey and lefty is tighty.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The half tons pretty much all have 6 lug hubs in the past 20 years. "Everyone" generally speaking knows about the 8 lug 14 bolt full float, some are unaware of the 14 bolt semi float 8 lug, and many more are unaware that there is or was a 14 bolt semi float with 6 lug hubs and disc brakes offered in some 1/2 tons.

Our Chevy conversion is a 3500 series with the floaters dis's and 8 lug wheels. I have never seen a half ton with the big rear end unless it was put there after. That would be a serious piece.

Top Bottom