• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jtrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    I plead guilty to a Class A misdemeanor when I was a 17 for possession of a fireman without a permit but I was charged as an adult because of law change. I have had this expunged from my record and haven't had any more issues in 14 years. My question is how to I answer the (Have you ever been convicted of any misdemeanor or felony violation, including DUI?) question on the form. Any help would be great. I just didn't know if I needed to answer yes since it has been expunged or say yes to be safe. Will it affect my chances of getting a permit?
    Thanks

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    I would list it. At most you'll have to go to an appeal meeting. I listed my driving while suspended on my application and didn't have any issues. If you don't list it and they see the conviction you'll definitely be denied. At least with the appeal, you'll have a chance.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I plead guilty to a Class A misdemeanor when I was a 17 for possession of a fireman without a permit but I was charged as an adult because of law change. I have had this expunged from my record and haven't had any more issues in 14 years. My question is how to I answer the (Have you ever been convicted of any misdemeanor or felony violation, including DUI?) question on the form. Any help would be great. I just didn't know if I needed to answer yes since it has been expunged or say yes to be safe. Will it affect my chances of getting a permit?
    Thanks

I would call ISP Firearms licensing section ((317)232-8264) and ask them. The issue is that you say it was expunged, but I'm aware that some people think this has happened when it has not. Another option would be to contact the county in which this happened and have them tell you whether it still shows up on your record.

Alternatively, you could just go ahead and list it with the word "expunged" in parentheses next to it. If it really was and especially with the time frame since then, it should not give you any problems.

I think also that you're quite fortunate that it was only a class A misdemeanor. Normally, "possession of a fireman" would be charged as kidnapping. (though I think you probably meant "firearm"... and yes, auto-correct can be funny sometimes.)

Blessings,
    Bill

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It is within your best interest to consult with an attorney, if just for an hour. You will likely need to bring your sentencing order, the expungement order and the application.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Thanks

Hell my wife has beeen guilty of this for over 32 years!:D

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I would say, if your sure it has been expunged, don't mention it. But to be safe, listen to Kirk!
    It is within your best interest to consult with an attorney, if just for an hour. You will likely need to bring your sentencing order, the expungement order and the application.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I received confirmation from attorney that handled everything for me when I had my record expunged. I may have even received something from the state (it was in IL) but I don't recall, it was about 18 years ago. Either way I checked no and didn't have issues getting a LTCH.

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I would call ISP and ask. My friend had a misdemeanor when he was younger and it was also expunged as well. He got his permit but I'm not sure what he put down.

Top Bottom