• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    An easy way to get to them with a grinder is to use the tailgate of your pickup truck and ramps, pull the mower up the ramps to get to them easily, electric grinder and sharpen one side. I use that to touch up once in a while.

When pulling them off for a proper edge, block with wood and airgun always works. Engaging the blades helps too - AFTER the engine is off of course. Some folks use a file and bench vice - that's fine - I use a bench grinder. Have never balanced them, but if you want to ensure long life of your pulleys you can purchase a blade balance and sharpen the low (heavy) side until it's balanced.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I had to use a pipe wrench and a 4 foot cheater to get mine off....then I bought new bolts (obviously) and used anti-seize when I put them in.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Impact should take it right off. Wedging a board in there works also if you don't have an impact.

Yep, I wedged a board against the blade so that the blade was pressing against the board that was wedged against the deck underside. I suspect my blades hadn't been off for years and years.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I did professional lawn care for 18 years and now change/sharpen my blades weekly, NEVER used anti-seize.

Pros in the field sit on their butt and use their right food on the tip of the blade and use a ratchet to unbolt them, very easy and you get a ton of power on them.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I did professional lawn care for 18 years and now change/sharpen my blades weekly, NEVER used anti-seize.

Pros in the field sit on their butt and use their right food on the tip of the blade and use a ratchet to unbolt them, very easy and you get a ton of power on them.

+1 more great advice

Top Bottom