• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So I bought a nice pack from Midwayusa months ago and just never really got into filling it up. I started ordering a few items a couple days ago and am trying to get it all put together now. I found some cool items I had never even thought about like the sillcock key and life straw. Admittedly I found some items that I don't need (but ordered away, Merica) like a grappling hook, freaking amazon makes it so easy to take my money.... Anyhow having a bit of fun with the whole thing.:spend:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Of all people, my nephew, gave me some good advice: The bigger your pack, the greater the opportunity for you to carry stuff you don't need and won't use.

BOBs are a very individual thing. I've never been able to build one that every man would find completely functional. You will add an item, carry it for a while, then decide it's not necessary.

The best advice is build it, then go use it. You will teach yourself what you must have, and what you don't need to get out of town.

CptCrik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Something else to keep in mind is that you will want to have multiple ways to take cares of things. So like for water, you would want the life straw and some purification tablets. You have an extra just in case you lose or break one. For fire, have some water/wind proof matches, have a good all weather lighter, and then have some flint. Have two pocket knives. Two multi-tools. Have a flashlight, some glow sticks, emergency candle, head lamp for light sources. If you only have one way to do something, that could end up being none real quick.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I know it's sort of fun to talk about gear, but you should know your plan. Where are you going? What's it going to take to get there? What do you have waiting there for you? etc.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Indyjohn hit it best. Practice practice practice. When I made my first BOB I had so much stuff in it it sucked to carry. First time out eliminated 5 items reducing weight drastically. That persisted over a few years and finally I found what gear works for me about 2 to 3 years ago. It turned to out to be very little. I found the more empty space in my bag the more I could fill it with valuable resources from the land like food, tinder, water, stones, etc. The more you practice the more your kit becomes knowledge and experience and less "stuff".

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    So as time has gone on my list of items has of course grown. I have ordered a few Molle packs to attach to my actual backpack. I have a wife and 2 small kids and trust me when I tell you that my wife would just say I was crazy if she knew everything, lol. My question is as I pack my pack I am thinking about everyone and while the SHTF scenario is in the back of my mind, I am also thinking about everyday things that could happen. I have already decided that the pack will ride with me in my car do I always have it incase anything happens while I am coming or going from the house, of course while I am home I will also have it. I might in time make one or 2 more bags but for now I think this might be the best bet. If it ever really comes down to me needed to hike miles upon miles while carrying the bag, I could always cut some dead weight items. Anyhow just wanted to know if anyone else thinks like this or.......

Top Bottom