• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Ok, here's the story: I used to have a Bushmaster M4 that my wife loved to shoot, but we had to sell it. Now she wants another AR:): after looking at the prices of some used ARs she asked me about building them. I told her that, yes, you can build your own; it isn't necessarily cheaper in the long run, but you can get parts when you can get them.
    She ordered me to build 2, not one but two :rockwoot::rockwoot:
    So after looking around online and locally I have just ordered two stripped receivers from Palmetto state armory:yesway:
    I love my wife:)

1LuvGuns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Anderson, IN
    Wow! Good luck with your builds. I've always wanted to build one myself but between the cost comparison and work I always end up buying the completed product.. :spend:

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Howdy All,
    First off I am not claiming to be a Gunsmith or even close to one, I also do not claim to be any expert on anything! I put my first AR 15 carbine together back in 1984. Back then you didn't have a lot of choices where to buy a kit! Yes there were a few places to get the Lowers but there wasn't the internet so you were limited to gun shows ect. My first build was a Bushmaster lower with a AR 15 Heavy Carbine kit from Sarco. I still have that rifle so I must of did a okay job.
    So Bill, what sre your plans? have you looked at kits? are you going to build them both the same? I don't know wheter you have been over to the AR 15.com forum ? If you havn't you might want to go look around. Here last summer around this time I was about bored out of my mind, so I did something that I have never done before, I have never put anything on lay a way if I want something and I have the money for it I go get it! So I made myself a deal, I was going to build myself a Target/Varmit AR 15 on a budget:laugh: It was hard but it also gave me something to do. So I started hunting parts and i decided that i would not buy a part unless it was a Bargin. I started with a LRB lower and a DPMS lower parts kit from Midway USA they had them on sale for $49.95 and to keep from paying the frieght I waited to the last minute of the sale to buy it and 3 more kits (for other AR's) I had put out on some of the forums that I was looking for good used parts, I was into the second week of hunting parts when I guy on one of the forums that happen to live in my state email me and ask if I was still looking for a heavy 24" 223/5.56 barrel, and I told him yes, he told me that he was sending off his AR to have a 6.8 barrel put on and if I would be willing to wait on it he would sell me the barrel and gas block for a $100.00 plus shipping. Well 4 weeks ended up being 4 months but I got a AWESOME Bull Barrel for a $110.00 to my door and ( I wished I could buy 10 more like it) not counting scope and rings I ended up with $540.00 in this target rifle. When it was finished I bore sighted it here at the house and at the range it took 3 rounds to get it where I wanted it.I put up a new target at a hundred yards, the first shot was dead on the second shot was 1/16th high but was touching the first shot, the third shot went into the first hole :rockwoot:I ended up shooting a 5 shot group that a nickle would cover it up :rockwoot::rockwoot:So don't let anyone tell you that you can buy one as cheap as you can build one! And if you build it you know just what you got!
    I will try to figure out how to put a picture in the post!The pic in front is the 223/5.56 back rifle is 243WSSM
    Later
    Greg
    243-223.jpg

Last edited:

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Hi Ace;
    For one of the builds it will be a pretty vanilla M4 type, that'll be the wifes. I'll probably just buy a complete upper for that one.
    For the other one I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do yet.
    thanks for the words of encouragement.

Takashi

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Indy Northside
    Hi Ace;
    For one of the builds it will be a pretty vanilla M4 type, that'll be the wifes. I'll probably just buy a complete upper for that one.
    For the other one I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do yet.
    thanks for the words of encouragement.

Are both going to be .223? Also, it may be worthwhile to consider using a rifle gas system on a 16" barrel (instead of carbine), I know there has been some debate about it, so it might be worth looking into for you.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Bill, If I can be any help to you, Please get a hold of by pm, email or phone. 99% of the time I am not doing anything. There are a lot of good kits out there and I would look at Deltron.
    Greg

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Just finished my 9mm AR build using a Palmetto lower I bought myself for father's day. Hope to get to the range this weekend and give it a work out! Have fun!

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Thanks, Looking forward to some fun, built this one with a Slide Fire stock. Full intentions of having nothing but fun with this one :) Not that my others aren't fun, that is the reason for building this one.

Sullivan_pbr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Romney
    I was also considering trying to pick up AR parts when I could find deals. I've been wanting one and don't want to buy a cheapo(which is the only thing in my price range). So I'm hoping I can pick up a part here and there and end up with a decent rifle in the end. Without the shock to my wallet all at once. It's good to see that it can be done without spending a fortune.

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    If you are looking for a shooter .223 nothing special you can get good deals on complete rifles if you just keep your eyes open. I've seen many good to go in many configurations for around $550-600 at gunshows walking around. Keep your eye out for the guys with the for sale signs sticking out of the barrel. A lot of the ones I have looked at have not been fired much and usually the guy is hurting for cash. I've owned at least a half dozen over the years, only 2 were Colts, the others were a hodge podge of parts and all of them worked well and shot good.

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Lancem, That is just toatly backwords at gun shows around here! The last gun show I went to, there was at least a dozen guys packing AR's with the info sticking out of the barrels and they all were $1195.00 and up. And that very same day I watched a deal from a distance go down private collector table I wheeled my self right over there and bought a DPMS carbine for $400.00 what a peice of JUNK!! The head space was real BAD, I got lucky that the chamber was okay and I fixed the head space, fix all the little stuff and sold it for a decent profit, I made sure that it was all good to go! I would never sale a firearm to anyone if I new it had any problems!
    Sullian, One thing I will tell you and I think everyone will agree, the small parts will eat you up, so if you build it from parts allways buy in groups if you can!There are things I would like to tell you, but I can't pm or email you, if you email me I can give you some advice that will help you in your build.
    Later
    Greg

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Interesting, I could have bought two at Napanee for $550, one was a full stock 20" the other was in M4 configuration flat top with scope. Just gotta keep looking :) Of course it may be the usual thing that I'm not really looking for one so they show up, I go looking for one and there probably won't be any around!

acelungger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Ever since I built those 2 long rifles i wanted to put on Magpul PRS butt stocks, but I couldn't see paying around $215.00 for a Butt Stock! Here about 6 months ago, while I was hunting for parts for a build I was doing, I ran accrossed a PRS look a like and I couldn't believe I bought it for $75.00, so i took a chance and it looks and works great and that is the key for me. I buy the best glass I can afford and I allways keep it in the back of my mind that I will own a couple big Night Force scopes someday!! With the scopes I have 6x25x56 with target turrets, the one big problem with my $600.00 scopes are they don't have much eye relief like the Night Force scopes do, the PRS stocks allow me to adjust to the best fit, so when I place my head down on my butt stock I am right on the money. Every since I bought the first one I have been looking for another, couldn't believe it but I bought one this morning.
    My point is, if you want to build a AR out of parts, you need to make you a list of the parts you need for your build, then go to Midway USA and Brownells and find the best deal you can buy your parts threw them. Now you have a base line, you now can start hunting for those parts, do your best to buy your parts at 60% of your base line.
    I apoligies, I had no intention of Hi Jacking this thread. I just really like to try and help folks out.
    Greg

Top Bottom