• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I have finished my lower and am waiting for my upper to arrive. And soon will be reloading .223 I have the cheap lee powder measure that came with my anniversary kit. Only thing I have been happy with is Unique. I have tried No.7 and I could not get consistent throws so to speak.

I cannot find any load data for unique in 223. ( or any unique powder for sale) So is there any "flake type" powders out there that is "slower" burning and not as popular so I might actually have a chance in buying some?

I am NOT looking to shoot a 1/2in group at 100+ yds or anything like that at this point, . Basically it would be "plinking ammo" I will be casting my own bullets.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I use IMR XBR 8208. It is not always cheap or easy to find but when I find it I buy it. I have about 20 pound for the 5000 rounds I'm getting ready to load.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    In my search for Titegroup for my pistol, I've noticed that some of the best .223 powders are back in stock. I've seen W748 and H335 in stock online. Both flow like water in my Lyman 55 powder measure and fill the cases nicely. Another great powder that is coming back in stock is IMR4198. It's not very popular because it's a stick powder and hard to measure through most powder measures but seems to be the most accurate powder for my rifles. I use the dipper that comes with Lee dies and weigh each charge (19 grains +/-) when I feel like shooting for groups. Get yourself the CCI41 military primers too while you're at it. They're back in stock too. While things are a few bucks more expensive than they were 13 months ago, it's still a good time to be a .223 handloader.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I like Varget or IMR 4007 SSC for .223/5.56 loading but do yourself a favor and get a powder scale. Without one you really have no point of reference other than the dipper which, as you will see once you have a scale, will vary widely from the actual powder charge. Second to a scale, the next most important piece of equipment is the chronograph. With a chrony you can objectively measure a result that is related to the pressure generated. You'll note that most loading data includes fps along with the powder charge, this is for you to use to validate that your loads are in line with what they measured in the lab.

An inexpensive digital powder scale is now $30-$40. No frills but it does the job.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You have already gotten good advice on the powder situation (Unique is too fast-burning), but you mentioned you are going to be casting your own bullets. Are you planning to use gas-checks and slow them way down? Cast bullets and an AR in 223 are not exactly a typical combination.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I like Varget or IMR 4007 SSC for .223/5.56 loading but do yourself a favor and get a powder scale. Without one you really have no point of reference other than the dipper which, as you will see once you have a scale, will vary widely from the actual powder charge. Second to a scale, the next most important piece of equipment is the chronograph. With a chrony you can objectively measure a result that is related to the pressure generated. You'll note that most loading data includes fps along with the powder charge, this is for you to use to validate that your loads are in line with what they measured in the lab.

An inexpensive digital powder scale is now $30-$40. No frills but it does the job.

I have access to my Uncle's Chrony and after reloading 20rds for the first time in my life (40sw) and used my Uncle's chrony, I had as much as 250ft/second difference and some were much hotter than I wanted so that same day, I went and got a Hornady GS-1500 digital scale. Its nothing fancy, but it gets the job done and I am happy with it.

When unique was getting scarce, my uncle suggested Accurate no 7. I liked how it shot etc, but in my cheap lee powder measure, i was having as much as 1.2gr difference from one throw to the next. Maybe I am too anal, but if my powder throws get more than .3gr +/- than where I want it, I start getting grumpy. lol

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not want to rain on your parade, but the AR is not a rifle that is well served with cast bullets. Between the pressures of the .223 and the gas system design that actually has a hole on the barrel that takes hot gasses to the bolt carrier (where it pukes debris on the trigger group) I think cast bullets will make more problems than enjoyment. If you are just looking for ammo that goes bang, there are lots of bulkpack 55 gr FMJ bullets out there. Good Luck

For finding powder, you can go to hodgdon.com and down load a "relative Burn rate" chart. Start looking at Hodgdon H332 and read the list down to VihtaVouri H540. Any of those medium pressure rifle powders should make ammo that goes bang. I have not personally used all of them, but I have tried the majority. The 4064 powders are pretty course and the puny .223 case cannot hold enough of it to really do good, but most the others give decient performance.

Last edited:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    When was the last time you cleaned your powder thrower? When I first got mine, a Hornady, it wouldn't throw consistent loads. I asked Andrew about it and he suggested that I disassemble it fully and spray it down really well with brake cleaner to remove all residual lubricant that was causing the powder to stick to the internals. This worked like a charm.
    Also, pay close attention to your scale. Double check that it zero's out with the little powder pan on it every so often. I went nuts one day trying to get consistant measurments, thinking it was the powder thrower, as it turned out, it was the scale. Now I adjust the thrower, verify the weight and only spot check the load every 10 or 15 rounds.

NinnJinn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Loogootee (Lo Go Tee
    I do not want to rain on your parade, but the AR is not a rifle that is well served with cast bullets. Between the pressures of the .223 and the gas system design that actually has a hole on the barrel that takes hot gasses to the bolt carrier (where it pukes debris on the trigger group) I think cast bullets will make more problems than enjoyment. If you are just looking for ammo that goes bang, there are lots of bulkpack 55 gr FMJ bullets out there. Good Luck

For finding powder, you can go to hodgdon.com and down load a "relative Burn rate" chart. Start looking at Hodgdon H332 and read the list down to VihtaVouri H540. Any of those medium pressure rifle powders should make ammo that goes bang. I have not personally used all of them, but I have tried the majority. The 4064 powders are pretty course and the puny .223 case cannot hold enough of it to really do good, but most the others give decient performance.

Thanks for the info Leo! At this point, Since this is my first AR I will just want to shoot it alot. Cans, plastic bottles etc at the range, And wanted the cheapest way possible to make it go bang. I have shot my Uncle's AR that he only uses for target shooting at 100+yds and he mentioned one time that for the "target loads" that he loads is running around 65cents a round with berger bullet, powder and primer. I figured by casting my own, that I could drop the cost by at least 25-30cents a round.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Save yourself the headaches..

Thanks for the info Leo! At this point, Since this is my first AR I will just want to shoot it alot. Cans, plastic bottles etc at the range, And wanted the cheapest way possible to make it go bang. I have shot my Uncle's AR that he only uses for target shooting at 100+yds and he mentioned one time that for the "target loads" that he loads is running around 65cents a round with berger bullet, powder and primer. I figured by casting my own, that I could drop the cost by at least 25-30cents a round.

22 Caliber 224 Diameter 55 Gr FMJ Boat Tail W/ Cannelure | MidsouthShootersSupply.com
    ^^^ Go and split the cost of one of these with your Uncle+anyone else you can to lower the cost.

You WILL find that THIS is the way to go for AR plinking rounds..Bill.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    22 Caliber 224 Diameter 55 Gr*FMJ Boat Tail W/ Cannelure | MidsouthShootersSupply.com
    ^^^ Go and split the cost of one of these with your Uncle+anyone else you can to lower the cost.

You WILL find that THIS is the way to go for AR plinking rounds..Bill.

Sometimes too Midway will have "blemished" bullets in I believe 2000 pack quantities and the cost per bullet equals the same if not a touch less

But in bulk, try to get them for 6.5-8 cents a bullet, and forget the idea of casting lead bullets for an AR

ETA: If you're not stuck on going a single stage press, there's a Hornady LNL progressive in the sales threads for $350. You'll never wear it out, and trust me, doing bulk rifle on a single stage is a PITA

Last edited:

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    AR's CAN run cast just fine, but as Broom_jm said, you're gonna be slowing them way down. Essentially turning the .223 into a .22 Hornet.
    I think you would be much better served by buying bullets, (and powder), in bulk.
    As for powders, my rifles seem to like Varget the best, with H335 and Tac fighting it out for 2nd place.
    Course that's just what works for me. YMMV AR's can run well with a lot of different powders. I'd try a few to see what my rifle liked before I stocked up.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    turning the .223 into a .22 Hornet.

If you want a GREAT Hot .22 Hornet round in a .223 Bolt Gun, try some 40-45gr. V-Max/Nosler Ballistic Tips over some BlueDot..Bill.

PS: Small Thread Jack here..

Johncandy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Varget, H335, H322 and CFE 223 are all really, really, good powders. I've had to switch around a little bit as powder became scarce. Check with the guys at profire, if there is a recipe for Unique and 223, Andrew will know it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Renegade762
    Top Bottom