• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Didnt want to hijack the thread going on about disposing bad RELOADED ammo, so i started this.
    When i was really really new to firearms, i bout some .40 ammo from sportsman guide. It was really cheap and after i nearly ruined a polygonal glock barrel running it......i found out that it has copper COATED bullets. After more reading up, i found out about lots of really really bad things happening when running that ammo, some potentially leathal. what should i do to get rid of this crap? what would you guys do? BTW, i do not reload, and dont want to start. I think that the components of this stuff are not worth salvage, sound about right?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    What kind of ammo? Is it something that can be safely ran in other types of barrels? If so, you can always sell it with disclosure.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What's so deadly about copper coated ammo and how did you know that you "almost ruined a polygonal barrel?"

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    Are you just going based off of what the internet said about polygonal rifling with lead. Are you concerned with the copper coming off and somehow your gun is going to blow up because the lead touched it? Not being a smartass but just wondering because if so i load hard cast lead in my glocks for shooting and i just clean then more often and check for leading. I know people who run steel challenge and uspsa with lead cast reloads in glocks and factory barrels.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    What's so deadly about copper coated ammo and how did you know that you "almost ruined a polygonal barrel?"

I have been told the rifling damages the bullet POTENTIALLY leaving fouling in the bore, that if neglected could lead to overpressure.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You sell it or you give it away, that's what.

I once had some milsurp steel-cased lacque-coated 9mm ammo that two pistols didn't like. Neither my P99 nor my EMP would eat it.

So, I sold it.

No big deal.

dye

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    NE Indiana
    You could find someone that's new to shooting and has a 40 cal, and give it to them. Meet or take them to the range.

Seriously though, as a reloader, I have ran my own copper plated rounds thru many pistols including SIGs, Glocks, XDs, Shields, and a 1911 with no issues. Literally a 5 gallon bucket full of them. If your gun eats it, shoot it and keep it clean. If you are concerned just make sure you buy FMJs from here on out.

KagA152

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jul 18, 2013
    Freetown
    I've put thousands of copper plated Xtremes down range through all different types of guns/calibers and saw no noticeable difference compared to jacketed. Keep it clean and you won't have any problems.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You could find someone that's new to shooting and has a 40 cal, and give it to them. Meet or take them to the range.

Seriously though, as a reloader, I have ran my own copper plated rounds thru many pistols including SIGs, Glocks, XDs, Shields, and a 1911 with no issues. Literally a 5 gallon bucket full of them. If your gun eats it, shoot it and keep it clean. If you are concerned just make sure you buy FMJs from here on out.

I don't think any of those have polygonal rifling.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Copper plated bullets should be fine in a Glock. A lot of the budget ammo use copper plated bullets. Also the aluminum and steel cased stuff is perfectly fine to run in Glocks. If a person is worried about it then I would simply sell or trade the ammo.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I will take it off your hands for safe keeping. PM me and I will send you the address to send all your defective ammo to.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Sorry, i didnt mention,( or, maybe i sorta did) this ammo has a very bad reputation for squib rounds and misfires. I appreciate all of everyones advise and willingness to take it off my hands. I guess as long as that person was aware that this ammo has been known to RUIN firearms.....then it's on them after that. I would just hate to sell it to anyone knowing that it could potentially injure them or worse. Also, to clarify, the copper COATING on the bullets is so thin that the lead is exceedingly easy to expose, it fouled the lands and grooves of my glock so bad that i had to have it murcury bath defouled, and almost ruined it completely. AND, after only 50 rounds or so. I guess I will just try and give it away......after complete disclosure of course. thanx everybody!!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't think any of those have polygonal rifling.

GLOCKs are polygonal rifling, as are most HKs.

The copper wash-coat ammo will usually run fine if you treat it like unplated soft lead ammo. Every few rounds check for leading and don't shoot out of a heavily fouled bore.

A couple rounds of hardcast mixed in may do the job for you. Load the last two round of the mag as hardcast and you'll probably not have any problems.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    Just curious how much ammo are we talking about?
    no problem, its just short of 700 rnds, its "American Ammunition" Brand .40 s&w and it says miami florida on it. bought it from sportsman guide about 1999 or so. I have read many reviews on this stuff, including a story told on the old eagle creek shooting range web site about a customer running this.....well, as i remember it, the story described an event where the primer pocket hadnt been drilled out on a random round.......ruined a firearm. And then my experience with the soft lead almost ruining my glock barrel. Anyway, I am still tying to figure out what to do with it. Like i said, i dont want to sell it, i will take to the range w me next time and see if anyone there wants it. Thanks again you guys. End.

Top Bottom