• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

This will catch them AND cook them as well.

And if you leave your window open you can even get some served directly on the dinner table.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    around here they are called tree rats and I make a hell of a gravey or gumbo out of them !!

Used to set up over the corn fields at great grandads with my cousin. We would get 3 or 4 (ground hogs) every time we went and they would cook them up. Not one of my favorites. They loved them. I was busting them with a 30-06 and you had to make head shots so there was something left to cook or my aunt would kick my A$$. She said if you are not good enough to hit-em in the head, leave-em be. If I hit anywhere but the head I left them in a ditch. Aunt was a mean one.

Glock22c

SHEEPDOG
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    N.E. IN
    Man i hope the DNR section of big brother ain't reading this thread... yall might have some splainin to do...
    Good ideas .... putting some if them into practice though? ?? I'd wait till the SHTF...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, you could be right but, Over the winter I had 2 incidents in the attic at the daughters house next door. Both electrical, both were fried tree rats chewing on the electrics. Could have burned down the house. Had to fix the venting they tore through as well. Had the cable man out 3 times this year because the same group of marauders ate up the cable lines. My elderly neighbor had all the stuffing tore from he stored lawn furniture by, you guessed it, our friends the tree rats. You could see 3 nests with the stuffing hanging out.
    I am putting in the garden for the first time in several years and they will not be feasting on my goody's. Scared to shoot-em as a miss could hurt some one. Have to revert to other methods. Its me or them........;)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Well, you could be right but, Over the winter I had 2 incidents in the attic at the daughters house next door. Both electrical, both were fried tree rats chewing on the electrics. Could have burned down the house. Had to fix the venting they tore through as well. Had the cable man out 3 times this year because the same group of marauders ate up the cable lines. My elderly neighbor had all the stuffing tore from he stored lawn furniture by, you guessed it, our friends the tree rats. You could see 3 nests with the stuffing hanging out.
    I am putting in the garden for the first time in several years and they will not be feasting on my goody's. Scared to shoot-em as a miss could hurt some one. Have to revert to other methods. Its me or them........;)

I like the bbl idea. Kinda like a turtle trap only it has to close off the top when it catches one. put a 1" pipe fitting with a valve in it in the bottom and attach an exhaust hose from the car. Or just half full of green antifreeze. I'm far enough out in the woods that I usually just shoot the offenders. If I don't eat 'em the dog does. I usually bbq the little morsels.:yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have been doing something similar for a long time with chipmonks. I fill 5 gal bucket with water and cover the top of the water with sunflower seeds. then run a board up to the top of the bucket on the outside like a ramp. put some sunflower seeds on that also. they get to the top see the seeds inside and dive right on in. it's a solid method for sure.

The Saturday morning radio home improvement guys call this chip and dip. :):

I've shot them with air rifle and live trapped them. This sounds more productive.

BCCS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Anyone have an idea for a coon in the attic. I have already tried a live trap and the thing just flips it on its side and gets the bait. Since I live in a development using a gun is out of the question, but maybe with frangible ammo?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Anyone have an idea for a coon in the attic. I have already tried a live trap and the thing just flips it on its side and gets the bait. Since I live in a development using a gun is out of the question, but maybe with frangible ammo?

I would use a .22 short in the attic. I have a high velocity pellet rifle but a coon is hard to put down that way. Just be dead sure of your shot and take it.
    That or some kind of bait that would put it in sleepy land. Your choice. If it is destroying your home it is time to take action before it does serious damage.

Rob52pars

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2012
    Demotte, IN
    All these methods sound great. Normally I just throw some corn on the ground and wait by the kitchen window with my wicked pellet gun. I'll try the bucket method.

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    These post are more fun than the Sunday comics. I have several munks and a a couple squirrels notched on my Gamo 177.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Took a shot at a rat last evening. He seems to surface at 7pm sharp, daily. 00 buckshot. It scattered pretty good at the distance I shot from so I'm not certain if I got him. Gonna go walk around shortly to see if he's a floater yet, if not there's always tonight. This time I'm gonna go set up around 6:30 a bit closer to the water and load up with 00 buck again but a 3.5" magnum this time (18 pellets vs. 9).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just returned home from the Vigo Co. meet and shoot. Great time and spent some rounds. Checked the bucket traps, both occupied and both occupants were cold. That is 8. Had no idea there were so many tree rats living close by.

Top Bottom