• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdwildcat04

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    E-Ville
    I love to canoe, but sadly do not get enough opportunity to go. As I look for more excuses, I have thought about trying fishing out. I'm not looking to "go off the deep end", so I would like to keep things inexpensive. Were should i start?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Go to Walmart/any sporting goods section of any store, get a rod/reel combo for under $20 with line on it, go buy some bobbers, hooks, and splitshots. Get some livebait of your preference, and go fishin!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    You can get your license online and print it out.
    https://secure.in.gov/apps/dnr/portal/#/home

As Steve mentioned, a cheap pole and reel will get you started just fine. Even better, hit the garage sales and get the whole setup (rod, reel, box full of hooks, bobbers, sinkers, and lures) for pretty darned cheap.

My go-to fishing kit is a cheap medium-weight pole with a cheap Shimano spinning reel. A little box with #3 and #4 Mepps lures or various colors, and a couple Rapala lures of various colors/sizes. Add in a set of needle-nosed "hook remover" pliers. Works awesome for bluegill, bass, crappie, and anything else that might be hungry, if you learn where to cast. Might have $50 in the whole thing (and another few hundred in all the other junk I rarely use).

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Like others have said you don't have to spend a bunch to be successful in fishing. My personal best 4 lb small mouth bass was caught on a yard sale rod and reel I gave eight dollars for. Hook and worm was the bait.

Whatever you get put some quality line on. I would think a medium weight spinning outfit would cover you. If you got into it more you could tailor your gear to match your style of fishing.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Good smallie fishing in the creeks and rivers all over IN.

Shakespeare ugly sticks are pretty durable and reasonably priced, but lack a bit of sensitivity. Berkley lightning and lightning and lightning shock rods are great until the tip breaks (they're a bit less durable). Fenwick Eagle rods are my favorite bang for the buck. They feel good and are reasonable ($60). If you really want to go cheap, the Berkley cherrywood rods are ok.

Reels, get whatever's on sale from the main brands. I snagged a couple of Shimano Sonora's for $15 a few months ago. The Abu's at wally world for $30 are pretty good and durable for the money if you can't find a deal. If you want to spend a few more bucks, the Pflueger President reels are about $50 and are the best thing with a MSRP under $100 easily.

Those Pflueger rod/reel combos are supposed to be really nice for the $ as well, but I haven't personally used them.

Tackle:
    Hooks, bobbers, sinkers and live bait. You can catch about anything on that.
    Lures, I like soft plastic. My go to in the rivers and streams where there's current is a 1/8 oz jig head or carolina rig. Jig head goes with 4" grubs with twisty tails, or in skirt tubes (tube pulled over the jig head). Carolina rig is on a 1/0 or 2/0 hook typically with flukes. Smallies slam the **** out of all of these set ups. Typically, just throw it in an eddie and reel through the current. Sometimes, work it, but most of the time just a strait retrieve. Colors: white, black, or silver, or brown (pumpkin, etc...). I never catch **** on those neon colored things.

If you're planning on fishing in rivers/creeks.....wear your life jacket, and keep a knife at the ready. At some point, you'll either anchor and need that death rope cut loose like yesterday, or you'll snag a tree and think "oh gee golly whiz, good thing I've only got 6 pound test on, it'll break off before it flips my canoe in the current".....but it won't break. Ask me how I know about that.....

See you on the river

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Put an add in the INGO classifieds "WTB - inexpensive fishing tackle." You might even be surprised at the donations that could turn up.

MuddyINGOGirl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Demotte, IN
    If you've never ever done any fishing before you may want to do a quick google search of the different types of reels. Maybe practice casting before you go because you'll be swearin' about the time that reel birdnests on ya. A closed face may be easier for beginners.

I personally prefer worms/nightcrawlers, I just caught a 16 inch smallmouth bass on Lake Skekamog in Michigan on just a hook, half a worm, and bobber. Didn't even use a sinker!

Good luck!!

Top Bottom