• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ipljeff

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2011
    Greenfield, IN
    I'm looking for some advice from you fine gentlemen and experienced shooters.

Here's the deal:

I've been a gun owner for years but I've never had any kind of formal training.
    How should I get started? I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money.

The main driver for this is that I have a son who is now eight and I'd like to introduce him to shooting. I want to teach him the proper ways to shoot and gun safety.
    My wife and daughters would like to learn to shoot as well. The girls are 13,14 and 15.

I would also like to know how I go about obtaining my concealed carry permit.

I have a Glock 23, a Stevens 311 Series H 20 gauge and an old 22 rifle. Are there any other guns you'd recommend? Something for the wife to carry too?

All advice is welcome. Thanks so much....Jeff

Last edited:

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I'm looking for some advise from you fine gentlemen and experienced shooters.

Here's the deal:

The main driver for this is that I have a son who is now eight and I'd like to introduce him to shooting. I want to teach him the proper ways to shoot and gun safety.
    My wife and daughters would like to learn to shoot as well. The girls are 13,14 and 15.

I have a Glock 23, a Stevens 311 Series H 20 gauge and an old 22 rifle. Are there any other guns you'd recommend? Something for the wife to carry too?

All advise is welcome. Thanks so much....Jeff

I have taken several ACT courses. These guys are definitely good at what they do. They are quite reasonable as well.

Take a look at the site supporters list. There are several reputable trainers on this forum.

:yesway:

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    For book reference, these 3 are classics. They are a bit dated equipment-wise. The tactics and techniques work as well today as they ever did:

• In The Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
    • StressFire: Gunfighting for Police by Massad Ayoob
    • The Semi-Automatic Pistol In Police Service & Self Defense by Massad Ayoob

The first one answers "when", the second answers "how". For state specific info on current laws check the FAQ section on the forum. I'd consider the third one optional; sort of. It contains some nice info on stress-reloads and such.

Farnam has some good books, too. Ayoob and Farnam also train classes occasionally at Sand Burr Gun Ranch, and other locations. The books, and this forum, are the most affordable starting point. Also check out the trainers who are forum sponsors.

Shooting bowling pins and steel plates are fun ways to practice shooting skills.

For equipment, don't discount the ladies. My daughter liked a full power .45 1911 when she was 13. It would have been much cheaper to start her out with a .22 pistol. Too late now...

EDIT: Let the wife shoot several guns if possible and pick her own out. It's hard to beat a good .22 pistol for affordable training with 4 or 5 shooters.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Our BP 100 course is good for the young and the new shooters in your family because it is reasonably priced and because they can do .22 and also try out several model of guns before buying one of their own. We could also do a BP 100 for your entire family.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I'm looking for some advise from you fine gentlemen and experienced shooters.

Here's the deal:

All advise is welcome. Thanks so much....Jeff

I'll second the suggestion for classes with ACT. The Basic and Intermediate Pistol are an excellent value. I've taken both, as well as their Defensive Pistol, and highly recommend them. Great group of guys.

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    +1 on the ACT courses. I've taken a few with them and have signed up my wife and 12 year old son to take the BP100 course. Excellent training for the money and super patient and thorough instructors. There's a BP100 course coming up in a few weeks. Coach can fill you in on all the details. As far as a gun for your wife, after she's taken a basic course of instruction take her to a gun shop and let her try a few out. She'll find one that she likes and is comfortable shooting.

Here's a link to the thread on the carry permit.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/10022-renewing_applying_for_ltch.html

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    ACT's BP100 is a great place to start. Coach does an excellent job with the "newbies". ACT also offers a Family Firearms safety course. I have presented this to small, large and several families at once.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I just finished taking a private lesson from the guys at ACT today:ar15:. I've taken their Basic Pistol 100, a couple private lessons, and an instructional league (USPSA specific class) now. They said I'm no longer a noob and I'm 1.5 classes away from ninja operator whatever that means.:D
    I'm not a gun class junkie but from looking around and talking to people, and DEFINITELY from my limited experience you are not going to find better training for the money than these guys. I'm sure there are a lot of good trainers out there but I can speak confidently about these guys. Their background covers about everything so they are able to "adapt" what and how they teach to the needs of the student and keep their content tactically effective. (In other words it isn't a deal where you show up and learn the ACT way of doing things.) As a new guy myself I found this valuable. When they push a teaching point they are able to talk into the several different ways that teaching point is taught in different "camps" in a way that doesn't discredit that way but serves to give you a broader knowledge base. I went the private lesson route just because with my schedule I would never be able to get to the classes I want at the rate I want.
    Feel free to PM me if you have questions or want me to sell them to you some more.:D

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    There seem to be a rash of "I want to start training, where do I start?" threads lately. Maybe it's time to piece together a sticky on starting out your training.

Here's some info I posted in a thread a week or so ago, it's not completely applicable to you, but there is some that is:

Here's one of the best deals you'll find in the state right now (at least my opinion)

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/143433-fortress_defense_pistol_rifle_medical_vehicle_defense_june_18_23_rochester_in.html

Other than that, we've had this discussion before, everyone wants to just jump right in to running and gunning training. You need to build a progression of skill sets that will help you build the skills you need as efficiently as possible.

The first thing you need to do is evaluate where you're at, and where you want to go. It's a lot different to train to be a GM in competition than to be able to defend yourself in a dark alley.

Once you've set your goals, do a little homework on the classes offered on this site. I think at this point, a good portion of the classes in Indiana are being posted here.

Here are some of the discussions we've had in the past on training.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/7008-a_discussion_on_types_of_trainings.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/7289-selecting_an_instructor.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/tactics_and_training/6924-software_training.html

A little dated, but still good discussions.

Tinman....

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Hey ipljeff welcome to the site..

I think your training question has been answered, read, talk to others, take a course relative to your situation..

About getting your "concealed carry permit" in Indiana it is called a License To Carry a Handgun or LTCH, there are tons of threads on here but to make it simple start by going to the Application for Handgun License site. if you find that you can go to L-1 for your fingerprinting and state payment it is well worth the $10.95 it costs, I had my license in 4 days..

About other guns, something for your wife, etc..

Kids can practice cheaply with a 22 LR either hand gun or rifle. Wife on the other hand if she is going to carry I would suggest going to different gun shops and having her handle different weapons, find what fits her hand and what she is comfortable with, a small revolver, a small auto, either way get what she is comfortable with. I bought my better half a Ruger LCP, a .380 auto that is a 6 round mag plus one in the chamber, no safety, double action pocket size auto. There are many others to chose from.

The shot gun is a good choice for home defense in my opinion, all sorts of arguments as to what round for it, buck shot, slug, 4 shot, etc. you will have to decide that on your own, but personally I have buck shot and slugs in mine and 4 shot as backup ammo spread through out my house hidden..

Find a local safety course or check with some members on here who might be going to a range near you and see about tagging along to learn and then teach your family..

Best of luck and happy shooting, stay safe..

Top Bottom