Getting the daughter interested in guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Ok, So I grew up in a household without guns.
    I am currently the only one in my family of 4 brothers that even has a firearm.
    In the past I have taught my daughter from an early age not to mess with guns, and to tell an adult if she finds/sees one.

Now, she is 12 and I want to start getting her to be a gun girl, but she doesnt seem interested.

I dont want to force her, and she is so disinterested, that when I try to get her to even handle one (unloaded of course, triple checked) she could care less and sweeps the house with the muzzle/ and me, because she is so dissinterested she cant even seem to comprehend the safety issues.
    This is all to move her along the mindset of not being a victim.

I really need to get the Wifey trained up also.

I am thinking about getting the daughter a BB gun for christmas and starting her out next spring on plinking cans to garner an interest .

Any ideas out there?

What approaches have you INGO folks taken and what do you suggest?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Don't get a BB gun, get a real gun. It teaches responsibility.

Get her a pink gun. Set up "fun" or "reactive" targets.

My daughter also learned at 12. I printed out fun targets that I found on the internet like Barney, Pikachu, flowers, etc. Also dixie cups filled with baking flour make a nice 'smoke' explosion. A little flour inside an inflated balloon makes a puff of 'smoke' too.

1-5.jpg

Above all, make it fun for her. Key in on some of her interests and use those to choose your agenda, targets, etc.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I think the key is finding something that she DOES like and see about incorporating it. As far as the muzzle sweeping issues, I suggest going and blowing something up with her there to impress upon her the seriousness. And maybe she'll see it and it'll look like some fun as well.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Last edited:

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Appleseed, for sure (Which would be free for her and your wife, BTW). I went to a small bit of concern that a 12yo doesn't grasp the concept of keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, but then I've seen a lot of 45yo men have trouble with that concept as well :rolleyes:

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I guess I am lucky...my daughter (10yrs old) became interested a year or so ago. She watched me shoot several times and liked helping load mags and picking up brass. Then she decided that she wanted to try my Ruger Mark 2. After she shot it once she was hooked. She even became more interested when she first got to shoot steel...the ping makes her happy. For Christmas this year the first thing she wants is her own gun...and she is getting it. She intends on shooting Steel matches at Riley this year.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I think the key is finding something that she DOES like and see about incorporating it. As far as the muzzle sweeping issues, I suggest going and blowing something up with her there to impress upon her the seriousness. And maybe she'll see it and it'll look like some fun as well.

Actually, I did this when she was 3, We painted up a milk jug like a face and put an old wig on it, then we filled it with red water, and I shot it with my shotty. Maybe a bad idea, but the idea at that time was for her to learn what a gun could do, and be afraid to "play" with one if she found one.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Actually, I did this when she was 3, We painted up a milk jug like a face and put an old wig on it, then we filled it with red water, and I shot it with my shotty. Maybe a bad idea, but the idea at that time was for her to learn what a gun could do, and be afraid to "play" with one if she found one.

Wow! That would scare the crap out of my daughter, but my son would absolutely love it. :rockwoot:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the past I have taught my daughter from an early age not to mess with guns, and to tell an adult if she finds/sees one.

Now, she is 12 and I want to start getting her to be a gun girl, but she doesnt seem interested.

I dont want to force her, and she is so disinterested, that when I try to get her to even handle one (unloaded of course, triple checked) she could care less and sweeps the house with the muzzle/ and me, because she is so dissinterested she cant even seem to comprehend the safety issues.

I am thinking about getting the daughter a BB gun for christmas and starting her out next spring on plinking cans to garner an interest .

Any ideas out there?

I wouldn't try to force the idea, but you could do a First shots class with her, dad and daughter day, under the idea that you have guns in the house, and she needs to know how to handle them responsibly. I am guessing that after firing a .22lr she will be all smiles. THEN I would show her some of the pink guns. :)

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    What are these appleseeds ya'll talking about? I've heard of the Johnny Appleseed Festival over in Ft. Wayne, and they had a civil war reenactment one year that I went, but otherwise.... ?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Find an older teen girl whom your daughter admires... someone from church or family. Work through her to get your daughter interested. If the older teen doesn't already shoot then take her out to the range and invite your daughter to just "hang out" with her bestest friend forever. While you're at the range don't offer to let your daughter shoot. Let it be a natural reaction between the older teen and your daughter. Be just a little "reluctant" to cooperate. Nothing is more important to a 12 year old than appearing "cool" to an older teen that she likes. If she has to argue for an opportunity to show how cool she is she will talk herself into wanting to shoot the guns.

This would work even better if you have a female teaching them. Guys sometimes have a hard time teaching a female how to shoot. :)

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    What are these appleseeds ya'll talking about? I've heard of the Johnny Appleseed Festival over in Ft. Wayne, and they had a civil war reenactment one year that I went, but otherwise.... ?

Project Appleseed Home
    Appleseed - INGunOwners

It's an excellent program that combines history, marksmanship, and safety.

Johnny C, you're in the right area! Sign up for one of the Bedford shoots, and do it soon (they always sell out). They have a great crew in Bedford and there are usually several younger shooters as well. There is also a good mix of female Instructors, Instructors In Training, and Applecore (non-instructing helpers) to encourage your daughter.

I've seen youth who have never held a firearm shoot better and safer after one weekend than the adult that brought them. Sign up! You won't regret it.

ETA: Sniped by ATM, does that mean I owe you bacon on 1/7?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    wow, good info.

I'm gonna have to try to attend one of these with the wife, and the lil girl for shooting in a couple years.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Reactive targets

Like others have said, start with some targets that do something when hit. Also as an aside, make sure one of the targets is a full pop can. When you are giving her the demo, make sure you shoot that can with a hollow point. It will give you a good "wow" factor, and also impress on her that what she is doing is "for real".

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    Good luck. Biggest thing is to not force it, then she will truly resist. If you get the wife on board it will make it easier for you daughter.

Side note, with two older brothers and a wife that all like shooting and have no problems with it, I know my daughter will take to it someday.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

Any ideas out there?

I started my son and both my daughters early, like at birth. I don't know what to tell you about a 12yo. When my oldest daughter was 4 she began to show interest so we bought her a pink cricket .22. I think our biggest success was in WHAT we taught them, not when. For example, we didn't teach them "not to mess with guns" but rather to handle them properly and only when they are handed over by mom or dad. We began with trigger control, keeping booger hooks off! Then moved to muzzle discipline, always being aware of the direction it's pointed and what else is there. We made it a point to take regular and frequent range trips and make them fun, even if the girls weren't shooting or actively participating in the shooting it familiarized them with certain safety protocol and desensitized them to the noise as well as gave them the opp. to see ppl having FUN with guns. Now for IMO the MOST important part, it may not be as big of an issue considering your daughters age, but for younger ones....Make certain they know that ANY time they want to see or handle a gun, you will let them. When they DO ask, DROP EVERYTHING, I don't care what it is drop EVERYTHING and ANYTHING and immediately address the childs gun questions. I've found that this approach eliminates the "mystery" and creates a mentality of "disinterest" if you will.

I hope you can pick something useful out of that mess, but I fear your problem is highlighted in red.

Top Bottom