Getting the daughter interested in guns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Appleseed. :yesway:
    I think if I would have taken my daughter to an Appleseed at age 12 she would have been so turned off to guns that I'd have lost her forever. It is not for everyone.

Yes. I'm sure about buying a pink gun. Just because you buy your kid, or perhaps your wife chooses to own, a pink gun, does not make them a radical gay/lesbian.

For that matter, I'm happy to have all races, creeds, political and sexual orientations supporting gun rights. I don't have to agree with them on other issues, but if they support my gun rights then, at least on that point, we have a common interest.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I think if I would have taken my daughter to an Appleseed at age 12 she would have been so turned off to guns that I'd have lost her forever. It is not for everyone.

I don't know your daughter, or how her reaction may have differed from others. I do know that in the three 'Seeds I've attended (two as a shooter, one as an Instructor In Training), I've never seen a kid have a bad time. For that matter, I've not seen a kid fail to have a great time, especially at Bedford. I am sure there exists one who would be the exception, but I've not met them yet. If I do, I will do everything I can as an IIT to help them have fun while they learn heritage, safety, and marksmanship.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I attended my first Appleseed earlier this year, north of Indy with a buddy. It was great!

At this point, My daughter wouldnt want to go to one.

I have let her handle my Mauser, shown her how to aim it etc.

I think I will find some "fun" targets as suggested by some, but I am not confortable starting her with anything but a BB gun. If she shows an interest, I'll up the ante to a .22, etc. Eventually I would like to get her to a 'Seed

As I stated in my OP, I come from a no gun background...not outwardly Anti, but not really pro either. And I am kind of ...Shy.. so I am not really confortable in approaching folks I dont know. Anyhoo, It has been a slow road getting "into guns" Hopefully I will be able to do my daughter right.

Johnny C

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I don't know your daughter. . .
    My kid is scary smart at age 16, 4.6 GPA out of 4 in private college preparatory high school. Won a scholarship to Law School her sophomore year in high school. Passed college classes with A's during high school. Hates to spend hours outside. Not big on getting dirty, laying on the ground, sitting in the hot sun (or cold, or rain). Loves outdoors on her terms. Happy to go out with a bow & arrow, or with a gun, or to lounge at the pool. Happier to translate Latin or read a novel. Fenced in national college level tournaments since she was in 7th grade. Loves doll houses, Barbie and all things pink . . . except cars.

I attended my first Appleseed earlier this year, north of Indy with a buddy. It was great!

Its not for everyone.

I think I will find some "fun" targets as suggested by some, but I am not confortable starting her with anything but a BB gun....
    Here are some fun targets for you, free from the interwebs: Free Targets for Shooters!

The downside of the BB gun is that even kids know it is not a "real" gun. Put a little 22lr in her hands and explain that it is a "real" gun and it can "really" kill someone and it shows that you have a level of trust in her that she can handle the responsibility of life & death. Obviously serious training is required.

I did this with my daughter of 4 consecutive evenings. A 22 rifle leaning against the wall nearby we talked about the 4 safety rules the first night. She memorized them. Repeated them. Never touched the gun on day one.

Day 2 she repeated the safety rules again, from memory. Then we talked about how a gun works. The parts of the gun "trigger" and "chamber" and "barrel" and "stock" and "safety" etc. Ditto with "bullet" and "cartridge" and "primer" etc. She then took a simple test of the parts of the gun. Then she repeated the safety rules again. She never touched the gun on day two.

Day 3 started the same as day 2. Repeated the safety rules. Then repeated the parts of the gun. Then I showed her how to hold a gun, etc. Then I gave her the gun and she almost immediately swept me with the muzzle. I was waiting for that, grabbed the gun away and STERNLY explained to her what she did. It worked out great as she has become much more muzzle aware ever since. After the correction we reviewed everything again, working on holding the gun, aiming, etc.

Day 4 was pretty much a repeat of Day 3. She was allowed to go get the gun herself instead of me handing it to her, worked on some dry fire, etc. Talked about why eye and ear protection is critical, etc. Reviewed all the safety rules again. Allowed her to load and unload an empty magazine into the gun, load an "empty" chamber etc.

We then scheduled a real shooting session.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step

I have let her handle my Mauser, shown her how to aim it etc.

I think I will find some "fun" targets as suggested by some, but I am not confortable starting her with anything but a BB gun. If she shows an interest, I'll up the ante to a .22, etc. Eventually I would like to get her to a 'Seed

As I stated in my OP, I come from a no gun background...not outwardly Anti, but not really pro either. And I am kind of ...Shy.. so I am not really confortable in approaching folks I dont know. Anyhoo, It has been a slow road getting "into guns" Hopefully I will be able to do my daughter right.

Johnny C

You know your daughter better than any of us. If you don't believe she is ready for a real firearm, then we have to trust your judgement. If you decide to go the bb gun route, make sure to get one for yourself. She will love spending the time with you and it will make it feel like less of a toy if dad isn't ashamed to shoot one too. You can still work on the four rules and teach her the fundamentals of marksmanship. Make sure to make it fun for her, young girls are not typically into gruesome images and you may drive her even farther away.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Maybe take her to some of the local trap and skeet ranges, there are often girls her age that participate. When I take my son to Pendleton to shoot trap there are often younger girls there shooting and doing quite well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have owned firearms since I can remember so my kids were exposed at a very young age. My son started with a pellet rifle and graduated to a .22 at 8 yrs. old. He was introduced to a Colt 1911 stainless officers model on his 16th Christmas. My daughter followed the same path up to a BDP .380 on her 16th. They are both extremely good marksmen with pistols, rifles and shotguns. Both are now in the mid 20's.
    I am now working with my 4 yr. old granddaughter. She will be 5 in Jan. and is getting the pink cricket for Christmas. Her dad and mom shoots with me so it will be a family affair at the range. Safety first. Safety always.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

Yes. I'm sure about buying a pink gun. Just because you buy your kid, or perhaps your wife chooses to own, a pink gun, does not make them a radical gay/lesbian.

For that matter, I'm happy to have all races, creeds, political and sexual orientations supporting gun rights. I don't have to agree with them on other issues, but if they support my gun rights then, at least on that point, we have a common interest.

Would this have any impact on me if I decide to do some interesting duracoat with pink on an AR? For the love of all things holy, please tell me that a color isn't going to bring about a fundamental change in who I am...I'm so scared.

One of my nieces said that if she could have a gun it would be some shade of blue because she doesn't like pink but if the wife, kid, friend, grandmother, neighbor's dog like the color and it might make them a little more interested and open to shooting, why not get them a pink gun?

rimfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    Do you have any 4H Juniors teams in your area?

The 4H programs often have Juniors shooting teams. If the kids do well, they can often get college scholarships for small bore. From what I have seen the girls tend to be better shooters than the boys. It might be helpful for her to see other kids shoot. They have a lot of fun at practices and meets.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I wouldn't try to force the idea, but you could do a First shots class with her, dad and daughter day, under the idea that you have guns in the house, and she needs to know how to handle them responsibly. I am guessing that after firing a .22lr she will be all smiles. THEN I would show her some of the pink guns. :)

FREE First Shots program 2nd Saturday of every month
    Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700 Closed Mon. & Tues.

I would have to agree. I volunteer to teach the NSSF First-Shots program at ABSI.
    It's totally free of charge, fun, and instructive.
    We've taught youngsters as young as 6 to shoot Cricket rifles, as well as Ruger Mark III's.

It's a great teaching program for beginners, and it's fun. Most every participant leaves with a HUGE grin on their face, and talk of returning to the range.;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    One of my nieces said that if she could have a gun it would be some shade of blue because she doesn't like pink but if the wife, kid, friend, grandmother, neighbor's dog like the color and it might make them a little more interested and open to shooting, why not get them a pink gun?
    I'm partial to yellow. But have purple, blue, etc

1-19.jpg

1-1-1.jpg

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Don't get a BB gun, get a real gun. It teaches responsibility.

Get her a pink gun. Set up "fun" or "reactive" targets.

My daughter also learned at 12. I printed out fun targets that I found on the internet like Barney, Pikachu, flowers, etc. Also dixie cups filled with baking flour make a nice 'smoke' explosion. A little flour inside an inflated balloon makes a puff of 'smoke' too.

1-5.jpg

Above all, make it fun for her. Key in on some of her interests and use those to choose your agenda, targets, etc.
    Too funny right there! My daughter is 16, and has been shooting since about 8 years of age. She still really likes Pikachu, so I'll have to pick a different target. We have taken some old dolls and stuffed animals out to the range and lit them up though! She has them hung up in her room. Strange.:)

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    All the doll and stuffed animal heads on pikes, lined up along the doorway. It is a warning to the others.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    This past year my wife and I took the kids to the "Hoosier Outdoor Experience" at Fort Ben State Park here in Indy. They got to try several outdoor sports including riding a mini bike, archery (re-curve, compound & cross bow), canoeing, pony rides, fishing, bow fishing, fly fishing, and shooting. They both liked the semi auto pellet guns. Although one shot of the 20 gague at the skeet shootand the oldest (9) quit and teared up. She was not ready for the recoil and did not fully understand the difference in the guns. I highly recommend the Outdoor Experience to anyone who is interested in the outdoors but has limited experience. It is a free event! BTW My wife loved shooting skeet and we went back the next day just for the that.

Unfortunatly we live in the burbs and my kids are 'city' people afraid of bugs. I was thinking about buying a bb gun as a starting place to teach safety. The the kids could also plink in the backyard comfortably w/o driving to a range just to turn around 5 min later should it make her uncomfortable.

From reading other posts that sounds like bb gun is not such a good idea. Neither my wife or I have much experience with firearms something we're going to change real soon.

Willob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    I would try the BB gun or a small 22 rifle. With the 22 I would definately make sure that she has hearing protection. I raised 2 daughters and the noise when shooting seemed 2 scare them even when they were away from the shooting. When I got them interested I made sure they had the hearing protection for safety and also so they were not scared by the noise. Use fun targets even if it is clay birds that bust when they hit them.

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    FREE First Shots program 2nd Saturday of every month
    Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr.
    Lafayette, In. 47909
    765-838-0700 Closed Mon. & Tues.

I would have to agree. I volunteer to teach the NSSF First-Shots program at ABSI.
    It's totally free of charge, fun, and instructive.
    We've taught youngsters as young as 6 to shoot Cricket rifles, as well as Ruger Mark III's.

It's a great teaching program for beginners, and it's fun. Most every participant leaves with a HUGE grin on their face, and talk of returning to the range.;)

Sounds like a great program! What time does the class start on Saturday?

Top Bottom