• ...and so much more!
  • tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hi everyone,

I tried concealed carry the other day and it was just plain self-conscious all the time. For one thing my arm kept brushing up against it (I use a hip holster) and I felt absolutely paranoid that someone would notice that the right side of my torso looked kinda squarish? Is there feedback you can provide? I don't wear tight shirts, but what do you guys do in terms of clothing? Thanks!

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    First I see its one of your first posts so :welcome:. Second maybe try a different spot. There are many ways to carry. I'm 5-10 125 lbs. I sometimes carry down the front part of my waist with the barrel going right down by.... well lets just say it works for me. Its kinda like the smart carry position. Next, don't worry if someone sees it it's your right. If you still cant get over people seeing it you have to think. Do you walk around looking at everyody's waist? If someone asks you can tell them the truth or say a meical reason. When you start carrying take it slow. I carry around the house to get use to it and OC for the first time last week to ZX in goshen and at the garage sale my om was having. Nobody gave me dirty looks but, ended up in conversation with another gun enthusiast. You just have to get use to it being there and not worry about it.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    :welcome:
    Most people will just think you have a blackberry or something. I wouldn't worry about what other people think...it is your right to carry and it is none of their business.
    If they do recognize you're carrying, most brush it off and think you are a LEO.

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I carry iwb about 4-5oclock. The key to carrying iwb is a good belt. Carrying at the 4-5 your arm rarely hits it.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies and welcomes! I have an OWB (Blade-tech), and carrying 3 o'clock was driving me nuts. I'll try the 4 and 5 that Mike suggested and see how it works out.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Welcome! Lots of good information here. I've got an IWB Blade Tech that I really like. You will get used to carrying. In my experience, most people don't notice and most people don't care.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Some variables:
    1. size of gun carried.
    2. holster.
    3. belt.
    4. position/place carried.
    5. the way you dress.
    6. build/body type.

Carrying around your house will help you get used to it and try out different options. If you have a spouse/close friend, they can provide valuable feedback.

You might check out this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._defense/31796-how_to_spot_someone_ccing.html

Some of it is psychological.

If you tell us what you're trying to carry and how you're trying to do it we may be of more help.

Last edited:

millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    It's just something you have to get used to. Most people are so unaware about everything much less what you are carrying on your hip.

Good belt and a good holster will go a long way.

tomc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you tell us what you're trying to carry and how you're trying to do it we may be of more help.

Good point. It's a Steyr M40A1. Dimensions are:

Weight: 27.02 oz (766g)
    Length: 7.20" (183 mm)
    Width: 1.18" (30 mm)

So far I've tried the 3 o'clock position and it's just downright awkward. I'll try 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock later today and see how that works out.

Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    I carry a full size 1911, with a IWB cheap-o "Uncle Mikes Sidekick" holster. When I got my permit I was self conscious about it, but after time, you get used to the idea of the gun being around. Pretty soon it's just like grabbing your cellphone before walking out the door.

As for you carrying comfort, I can't offer much advice there. I carry mine between the 3-4 o'clock position, but it is a IWB. I am comfortable like that.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    OWB is going to be a little more difficult to concel than IWB. With that being said, it's not impossible. Like the others have said, move it back to 4 or 5 o'clock, and don't worry about it. Usually I carry CC with the thought that, if it's seen, it doesn't really matter.

Blue River Guns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I carry a full size 1911, with a IWB cheap-o "Uncle Mikes Sidekick" holster. When I got my permit I was self conscious about it, but after time, you get used to the idea of the gun being around. Pretty soon it's just like grabbing your cellphone before walking out the door.

As for you carrying comfort, I can't offer much advice there. I carry mine between the 3-4 o'clock position, but it is a IWB. I am comfortable like that.

:welcome::+1: on the fact that eventually it is just like grabbing the cell phone and walking out the door. Personally, IWB or OC 3-4 o'clock position works fine and I really got used to that position and wouldn't have it any other way. Also, don't forget pocket type guns kel-tec P3AT works great with a desantis pocket holster. I never even think about people noticing that. Welcome to the group

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN

The funny thing is I have been on my way some places and will turn back around for my gun but I will leave my cell phone!

citizenvain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The only way to get used to is just wear it, and/but be very thoughtful as to where you are going to be during the course of the day as some places are absolute off limits. My "training" has been to carry around the house (I OC) unloaded, then loaded, and now I OC when ever I can during the course of my day. Still haven't gotten the guts to OC onto my client sites I visit, even the ones where I know the owners would not care so much (their staff would). And I'm still getting used to carrying mine. I'm in the loaded by not ready stage, meaning nothing is chambered yet. Yes, I know, I'm silly, but I'm going my own pace.

Unfortunately, my experience has been that most people I come in contact with do stare it (my glock 19 in a fobus holster). I delivered a payment to a vendor who is in the same building my office is and the whole 30 seconds or so that it took for me to walk him and tell him there were two checks in the evenlope for various services, he couldn't take his eyes off my glock. I said GLOCK. ;)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The more times that you carry the more comfortable you will become with carrying. Plus the nice thing about Indiana is that you do not have to carry concealed. We unlike some states have the choice of how we are allowed to carry. Some on here actually prefer OC (Open Carry). Just start carrying in and around your house and eventually you will be used to it. The only downside to being used to carrying is when you don't you will feel naked...

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    :welcome:
    Most people will just think you have a blackberry or something. I wouldn't worry about what other people think...it is your right to carry and it is none of their business.
    If they do recognize you're carrying, most brush it off and think you are a LEO.

Then they see my blackberry on my other hip!:):
    I agree though, most people arent gonna care. They probably think you are a LEO or something.

spark481

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Indy
    I just started CCing 2 wks ago when I got my permit. I started around the house while I was waiting for said permit, so I was already fairly comfortable. I havent got the ballz to OC yet, but I have actually caught some people eyeballing my waist and even heard someone say they thought I had a gun and hurry in another direction. I always pay attention to where is off limits( I.E. posted signs) but I catch the rebel in me wanting someone to confront me. MY RIGHT. MY CHOICE.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The more times that you carry the more comfortable you will become with carrying. Plus the nice thing about Indiana is that you do not have to carry concealed. We unlike some states have the choice of how we are allowed to carry. Some on here actually prefer OC (Open Carry). Just start carrying in and around your house and eventually you will be used to it. The only downside to being used to carrying is when you don't you will feel naked...

+1

When I started to carry, I felt like I was wearing a neon orange vest or something as glaringly obvious. I've been carrying for about 6 months now and feel lost without it. You get used to that hunk of steel on your hip.

BTW, I'm carrying a full size 1911, IWB between 3 and 4 oclock on a 5 foot 7, 185 lbs frame. The only change I made was to put my wallet in my other pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom