• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Citing for Nerf guns? Not unless there was something else going on.

Years ago, I had something similar with some college kids and cap guns, except they were pointing them at other motorists. They were those silver revolvers and looked realistic. I explained that their toy guns could cause them to have an encounter with someone with a real gun, chewed their butts for a bit about being big boys and girls now who need to think about the consequences of their actions, and sent them on their way.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Citing for Nerf guns? Not unless there was something else going on.

Years ago, I had something similar with some college kids and cap guns, except they were pointing them at other motorists. They were those silver revolvers and looked realistic. I explained that their toy guns could cause them to have an encounter with someone with a real gun, chewed their butts for a bit about being big boys and girls now who need to think about the consequences of their actions, and sent them on their way.

+1

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I don't think citations were necessary(unless there's one for being stupid). Definitely a good butt chewing is needed. These idiots don't realize some people don't know they were "playing"? Stupid move.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Firearm paranoia! A "nerf gun" looks about as much like a regular firearm as a stick does. Unless there is much more to the story then what is published, the only "citations" should have been given to the "good citizens" that called the police in the first place for false informing.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Firearm paranoia! A "nerf gun" looks about as much like a regular firearm as a stick does. Unless there is much more to the story then what is published, the only "citations" should have been given to the "good citizens" that called the police in the first place for false informing.

+1 This BS is has gotten way too out of control.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I feel that there was nothing wrong with the youths playing nerf guns, even at night. I do not have a problem with the bystander/neighbor calling the cops for what they perceived to be a true threat.
    I do however have a problem with a citation being issued on the basis of public disturbance. By that rational any time LE is called for nearly any reason a citation can be issued? Even if it is my children out back popping balloons because the neighbors thought it was gunshots?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I feel that there was nothing wrong with the youths playing nerf guns, even at night. I do not have a problem with the bystander/neighbor calling the cops for what they perceived to be a true threat.
    I do however have a problem with a citation being issued on the basis of public disturbance. By that rational any time LE is called for nearly any reason a citation can be issued? Even if it is my children out back popping balloons because the neighbors thought it was gunshots?

I generally agree. Nothing in the article said anything about the students being penalized for "fake" guns. The OP's wording of the title including Gun Free Zones has nothing to do with the story but is misleading/inflammatory; This style of thread title seem to be becoming the norm here.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I generally agree. Nothing in the article said anything about the students being penalized for "fake" guns. The OP's wording of the title including Gun Free Zones has nothing to do with the story but is misleading/inflammatory; This style of thread title seem to be becoming the norm here.

I kindly disagree. The police arrived in force because it was a mwag call NEAR the local high school. IMO, the only reason the students got the disorderly conduct citations was that it was the only possible charge that might stick.

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    I agree. I'm sure the police were ticked off they had to react the way they did over some NERF guns. That probably led to the citations.

I can't really blame the person for calling. It was 10:00pm, dark, two cars pinning in another, kids rushing out and holding up a "gun". Depending on distance, angle, etc, who knows how hard it was to identify it as a NERF gun.

Top Bottom