• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do find the history of curse words fascinating. A combination of consonants and vowels, forming sounds that people find offensive.
    But only if they are told they are offensive. The worst to me is the ever increasing list of words you cannot call minorities even though many were their own creation and once they were demanding to be called that which now is verboten.

I imagine it went this way, there were slurs so they came up with a word that was descriptive but benign to the situation, they insisted they be called retarded, a word indicating being slower. But people can’t handle the truth and became offended so now folks are reluctant to even use the word in its normal meaning. Then we moved to handicapped, now that is a slur by some definitions.

The whole curse word thing makes me laugh. Words are just sounds unless you assign a meaning to that sound. If saying god d**** is bad when you hit your thumb with a hammer how is goll dang different? Instead of shut the f*** up, shut the front door, the intent is the same it just cursing in code.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    But only if they are told they are offensive. The worst to me is the ever increasing list of words you cannot call minorities even though many were their own creation and once they were demanding to be called that which now is verboten.

I imagine it went this way, there were slurs so they came up with a word that was descriptive but benign to the situation, they insisted they be called retarded, a word indicating being slower. But people can’t handle the truth and became offended so now folks are reluctant to even use the word in its normal meaning. Then we moved to handicapped, now that is a slur by some definitions.

The whole curse word thing makes me laugh. Words are just sounds unless you assign a meaning to that sound. If saying god d**** is bad when you hit your thumb with a hammer how is goll dang different? Instead of shut the f*** up, shut the front door, the intent is the same it just cursing in code.
    "The History of Swear Words" is a MUST SEE. Loved it

https://www.netflix.com/title/81305757#:~:text=Nicolas Cage hosts this proudly,most notorious English swear words.&text=DeRay Davis, Nikki Glaser, Joel,on the joy of swearing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anyhoo... Still catching up on Ghosts. I never got to see the original BBC version, but given my affinity for British humor (esp. Monty Python) I'm sure I would have liked it. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the remake. Going to get in another couple of episodes tonight. :)

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Anyhoo... Still catching up on Ghosts. I never got to see the original BBC version, but given my affinity for British humor (esp. Monty Python) I'm sure I would have liked it. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the remake. Going to get in another couple of episodes tonight. :)

I never found Monty Python funny at all. British humor is just not my thing, but I still need to give Ghost a try.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess we made it through everything there is to see. I thought they had more than one season, but apparently not. I hope they do another one!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I watched about 20 minutes of Mayor of Kingstown and hated it. I thought it looked good from the previews I had seen but it was not. Got tired of the f-bombs every other word. :noway:
    So the wife bailed after the first episode but I am liking it after it got started. Yep, lots of f-bombs for sure…

Top Bottom