• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • octalman

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    In the event of gifting a long gun to a relative in another state, are there legal hoops to jump through?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Must be transferred via an FFL.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

...A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides...

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I believe it must go through FFL for permanent transfer, but you can loan it as long as you like for hunting, target shooting, etc. I loaned a gun to a family member years ago, I'll get it back in 20 years or so when they are done with it.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Must be transferred via an FFL.

100% this. I wanted to gift my Ohio brother a rifle & did lots of online research. I ended up just going to Cabelas when he came out to visit and just gave him money for a new one.

It's really freaking stupid...I could give you, a person who I've never met a gun, but I couldn't give it to my brother because he's a 5 hour drive east on the toll road.

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    What happens when someone moves to another state. Can they sell guns previously purchased in another state within the state they are now liviing? It gets confusing!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    What happens when someone moves to another state. Can they sell guns previously purchased in another state within the state they are now liviing? It gets confusing!

Why wouldn't they be able to sell a gun within their state of residence? :dunno:

45acp223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    SE IN.
    Ok, maybe I wasn't clear. Let me re-phrase the question. Down the road we may move South. If and when that happens, can I sell FTF any firearms I originally purchased in IN. in the new State I reside in (providing that State allows FTF sales), or would I need to have an FFL transfer it to the new owner, since it was originally purchased by me in IN.?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ok, maybe I wasn't clear. Let me re-phrase the question. Down the road we may move South. If and when that happens, can I sell FTF any firearms I originally purchased in IN. in the new State I reside in (providing that State allows FTF sales), or would I need to have an FFL transfer it to the new owner, since it was originally purchased by me in IN.?

Original purchase location doesn't matter as long as the gun is legal , both parties are legal, and the state allows FTF sales.

-J-

Top Bottom