• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    As Washington decides what to do about potential nuclear threats from North Korea and Iran, Newt Gingrich returned to Capitol Hill on Tuesday to point out what he called an equally grave danger: an electromagnetic pulse.
    Addressing members of the Electromagnetic Pulse Caucus, the former Republican House speaker from Georgia said the fallout from a high-altitude nuclear blast known as an EMP — which could damage or destroy American power grids and electronics — could deal society a deathblow.

Read more: Newt Gingrich warns EMP attack could end it all - Juana Summers - POLITICO.com

My question is , does he have anything to gain by bringing this up kinda like Al Gore with global warming .

Or does he actually " know " something we don't ?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That is a good question.

Then again, one of his nomination platforms was a mars base.

At the least, he is imaginative. But is he as informed as well?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Al Gore makes profit from his lie.

I think Gingrich is genuinely trying to warn people that... hey... this is something that is very possible, and would be devastating.

I think he's right, and I personally don't know what the gov is/isn't doing to prevent it from happening.

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    Other than devoting resources to hardening various electronics I would think the best solution would be for power companies, utilities, and other infrastructure related organizations to stockpile computer-built/designed parts in Faraday cages or hardened storage.

Heck, I wouldn't be shocked if some of them already had started.

Side note: microwaves (unplugged of course), make excellent Faraday cages for your personal electronics. A SpareOne emergency phone in a microwave might make you the only source of communications for a while.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    He makes a portion of the royalties from "one second after" but that wouldn't be enough to warrant him pushing something like that. He could be genuinely concerned too. Or maybe he owns stock or sits on the board of an equipment/services company that would make bank on the retrofit. (

Examples are Mr. Gore owning a HUGE stake in the leading 'carbon credit trading' company and the Florida gov owning a stake in the people they temporarily used for drug screenings. He could be owner/investor in 'hardened transformer Inc.'. Shrug...

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    I like ammo cans and or metal trash cans better than micro waves. Don't forget to attach a ground for the best protection ;).

cavakilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Yes in an EMP event cell phones and most everything electronic will be useless... One should consider a spare computer for your car in a Faraday cage. Old microwaves can be found in garbage for free... lol. just cut the cord so it can't be plugged in or it may defeat the purpose...

Other things may include a:
    back-up hard drive
    laptop
    thumbdrive
    anything with a microchip that you deem important

LeadPharmer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Toledo, OH
    I'm thinking if a EMP does hit, it's going to take out the cell towers and that phone is going to be a paper weight.

Most likely but you'll be in a better place if you can get to a working tower or "they" miraculously repair one.

It would be of more benefit to store some FRS/GMRS radios in there with their charger and a 12V adapter. That way if you've got a car battery, you've got comms.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes in an EMP event cell phones and most everything electronic will be useless... One should consider a spare computer for your car in a Faraday cage. Old microwaves can be found in garbage for free... lol. just cut the cord so it can't be plugged in or it may defeat the purpose...

Other things may include a:
    back-up hard drive
    laptop
    thumbdrive
    anything with a microchip that you deem important

Don't cut the cord. Use it as a ground.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Most likely but you'll be in a better place if you can get to a working tower or "they" miraculously repair one.

It would be of more benefit to store some FRS/GMRS radios in there with their charger and a 12V adapter. That way if you've got a car battery, you've got comms.

I'd store a 2m/70cm radio before I would store a cell or FRS/GMRS and know what Freq the EMA is using. If a tower would come back up, chances are almost everyones cell phones would be toast and the land line system the cell towers connect to would be fried.

Top Bottom