• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twinkle toes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    Can anyone give me any information on why I would be issued an Indiana license one week, and the following week be denied a purchase? perplexed :dunno:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Can anyone give me any information on why I would be issued an Indiana license one week, and the following week be denied a purchase? perplexed :dunno:

A lot can happen in a week...

I have seen many stories of guys on INGO get denied for no known reason only to be approved immediately the next time.

Do you have a common name?
    Did you include your social?
    Ever been arrested?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Because the two processes aren't linked at all?

Any idea why you were denied? If you have a common name, and don't list your SSN, you could be denied (someone with the same name is a felon, for instance). All kinds of other reasons.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

LTCH is issued by Indiana. Form 4473, and the related background check is done at a national level.

Two different things can give different results. Are you sure you were denied and not just temporarily on hold?

twinkle toes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    I do have some arrests, but no convictions. Is there someone or somewhere that I should talk to about what they are specifically seeing? I contacted ATF with my case number, but they were very vague.

Sgt.Striker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    could be that the paperwork hasn't been processed on a federal level yet. id wait a week or two and try again. remember that the only thing the govt. does in a timely fashion is collect your money. other than that you are on their time. oh and you must have posted right at the same time i did, yea man if you have any felony cases pending or even misdemeanors that could be labeled "violent crimes" then you will be denied. but if they already issued you a license i would assume you passed the background check in Indy and you should be alrite as far as that goes. unless you picked up a new charge in the meantime.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are any of the cases still pending? If so, what are the charges? If not, how long ago were they closed? Do you have any restraining orders against you in another state?

twinkle toes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2012
    True that. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the following:

Exempt from the instant check are law enforcement officers; holders of an Indiana concealed carry license; and transactions between licensed firearms importers, collectors, firearms manufacturers or dealers. In some instances, a federal instant check is required.

NRA-ILA | Indiana

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    LTCH is issued by Indiana. Form 4473, and the related background check is done at a national level.

Two different things can give different results. Are you sure you were denied and not just temporarily on hold?
    bingo
    I do have some arrests, but no convictions. Is there someone or somewhere that I should talk to about what they are specifically seeing? I contacted ATF with my case number, but they were very vague.
    you need to file an appeal.. the gun store where you bought the gun should have the paperwork. You will need your NTN number given for this particular transaction, also obtained from the gun store. Until you file this, they will not release any info over the phone.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side

Exempt from the instant check are law enforcement officers; holders of an Indiana concealed carry license; and transactions between licensed firearms importers, collectors, firearms manufacturers or dealers. In some instances, a federal instant check is required.

NRA-ILA | Indiana
    negative.. Indiana does not do a thorough enough background check for the federal level to let us pass with a LTCH

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

NRA-ILA | Indiana

Interesting. :dunno:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Old info

Exempt from the instant check are law enforcement officers; holders of an Indiana concealed carry license;......................................

NRA-ILA | Indiana

This actually used to be the case but has been changed for years. It's true LEOs used to be able to buy guns without filling out the 4473. After I retired in 1993 my Lifetime LTCH allowed me to skip the background check. At one point, I had to renew that "Lifetime" permit because it was good for carrying but not good for buying without the check. Now, I believe everybody gets the background check!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

NRA-ILA | Indiana

I gots to get me one of them mythical concealed carry permits...

I do believe EVERYONE without a proper FFL has to fill out Form 4473 and have a NICS run in order to buy from an FFL01.

pleiades

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    apparently, there is another person in IN with my name that has something that raises red flags. I always use my SSN when buying a gun for this reason.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    IC 35-47-2.5-1
    Applicability; conflicts
    Sec. 1. (a) This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) Transactions between persons who are licensed as firearms importers or collectors or firearms manufacturers or dealers under 18 U.S.C. 923.
    (2) Purchases by or sales to a law enforcement officer or agent of the United States, the state, or a county or local government.
    (3) Indiana residents licensed to carry handguns under IC 35-47-2-3.
    (b) Notwithstanding any other provision of this chapter, the state shall participate in the NICS if federal funds are available to assist the state in participating in the NICS. If:
    (1) the state participates in the NICS; and
    (2) there is a conflict between:
    (A) a provision of this chapter; and
    (B) a procedure required under the NICS;
    the procedure required under the NICS prevails over the conflicting provision of this chapter.

IC 35-47-2.5-3
    Form 4473
    Sec. 3. A person purchasing a handgun from a dealer shall complete and sign Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives Form 4473

Basically, if we have an LTCH we are exempt, however, if IC conflicts with a NICS procedure, the NICS procedure prevails.

I'm an LEO, and I had to be called in for two recent purchases.

This is because of IC 35-47-2.5-3 (see above)

Last edited:

WWalker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2012
    It's generally a crap shoot for me getting the gun, sometimes I can get it right then and other times I have to wait, I got a VZ 58 off Gunbroker and had it sent to a LGS, at first they were going to delay it, but then it was ok'ed after the salesman at the LGS talked longer to them, he said he asked them if they would do a "deep check" on me and it came back ok

Top Bottom