• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I am heading to Glacier NP at the end of next week. Has any one been there before that may have some advice/tips? Maybe what trail is a must see? We plan on being out there 6-8 days and will be back country camping.

Thanks

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    The boat ride/hike behind the Many Glacier Hotel across Swiftcurrent Lake and Lake Josephine is worth it. When you come across the small bridge that says to only cross one at a time, send any companions first and prepare to laugh. It doesn't look like it, but it sways alot. The Going-to-the-Sun Road is also a must see. If you go along the south side of the park, you will find an area that's good for mountain goat viewing(iirc the road was named in honor of Teddy Roosovelt, but I could be wrong).

If they're in season when you're there, huckleberries are the big seasonal food there. I had a huckkeberry shake that was delicious.

Also, bring a camera.

Many Glacier Hotel by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Swiftcurrent Lake by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Iceberg-ptarmigan wall by Steven Berry, on Flickr

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I did 5 days back country hiking and camping with 3 friends about a decade ago. It's ALL worth seeing. I've been a lot of places and done a lot of things, but GNP is one of my favorite spots on earth.

Get in shape. You'll have tons of elevation changes on every hike, so in Indiana this is tough to train for unless you live in southern Indiana. We averaged 10 miles a day with around 50 pound packs and it was TOUGH. The last day we did 13 miles of which the last 6 or 7 were all up hill switchbacks. It nearly killed me.

The water is cold. Even in the summer. We bushwacked off trail to climb a waterfall and couldn't find the trail coming back. We ended up wading the stream varying from knee to chest deep to be able to get back to the lake where we camped. It was absolutely frigid.

Good luck and take pictures. You'll have a great experience.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    Just returned from there. The trip to Polebridge is worth it just for the bakery! The advice on being in shape is real. See some photos here... Glacier National Park 2012 - a set on Flickr

edit: Oh and get some bear spray when you arrive! We were there 6 days and saw two mama black bear, each with two cubs. Counter Assult is recommended brand.

How was the weather out there? I keep reading that the weather can change in an instant. Some places I have found say its in the 70-80s in the day time and then at night it drops to the 40-50s.

I like to think that I'm in shape, but I know that will change when I start walking up a mountain with a huge pack on my back.

Thanks for the advise, looking forward to going an getting lots of pictures.

OWGEM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    How was the weather out there? I keep reading that the weather can change in an instant. Some places I have found say its in the 70-80s in the day time and then at night it drops to the 40-50s.

I like to think that I'm in shape, but I know that will change when I start walking up a mountain with a huge pack on my back.

Thanks for the advise, looking forward to going an getting lots of pictures.

Weather was good. Actually warm during the day, 80's. Did get cool at night, 50's. But we stayed in the lodge and so were not up in the mountains at night. Got to be cooler there.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The Grinnell Glacier can be done as a day hike and is a gorgeous hike (12-13 miles round trip, ~2000' elevation gain). When I was up there last time I got a picture of something big and black sprinting across the ice, I thought it mightbe a black bear but when I showed it to one of the park rangers they said it was a wolverine! Way cool, it's rare to see them.

We also did the Sperry Glacier as a day-hike but it's 22 miles round trip with ~6000' elevation gain/loss.

There's LOTS to do in the park and the Going to the Sun road is worth the entire trip unto itself.

The full name is the Glacier-Waterton International Peace Park and is one of the few places you can walk into Canada without passing through customs.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I would agree with the Going-to -the-Sun Road. It is a memorable experience! We were unable to do all of the hiking we wanted to because of the heart problems that surfaced for my father while we were there. My advice would be to get a physical exam before going regardless of what shape you think you are in.

Kaardomos

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Milltown, Indiana
    Just returned from there. The trip to Polebridge is worth it just for the bakery! The advice on being in shape is real. See some photos here... Glacier National Park 2012 - a set on Flickr

edit: Oh and get some bear spray when you arrive! We were there 6 days and saw two mama black bear, each with two cubs. Counter Assult is recommended brand.

When I took the trip to Grinnel Lake in 2008 we heard a guided hike on another trail hollering and retreating back down the trail. Turns out they ran into a young grizzly on the trail. I did end up seeing a Grizzly on a mountainside(not close wnough for a good photo :() and a black bear along the road in the Swiftcurrent Valley. As I recall, the huckleberries were late that year which was affecting the bears' foraging too.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    GNP is on the list of places to go before I get too old to do the miles and elevation changes. No advice here, just some envy that you're going.

Tin Cup

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    Michiana
    I would agree with the Going-to -the-Sun Road. It is a memorable experience! We were unable to do all of the hiking we wanted to because of the heart problems that surfaced for my father while we were there. My advice would be to get a physical exam before going regardless of what shape you think you are in.

I just had a complete physical last year (more in dept than standard sports physical). I'm only 28 also. But the best part is that one of my friends going, she is a DR. So I think I'm in good hands if any problems come up.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I am heading to Glacier NP at the end of next week. Has any one been there before that may have some advice/tips? Maybe what trail is a must see? We plan on being out there 6-8 days and will be back country camping.

Thanks

Went there back in '07, but didn't do any camping or hiking. You will fall in love and not want to leave if you're like me. A co-worker goes every year. I can't give any info on hiking really. This was a feeler trip, and I would be the only one in our group that would want to hike. I do know:

#1: There is a trail "behind" the Logan Pass Visitor's Center. Part of the trail is just around some lakes, but I guess for hard core hiking types, this trail connects to a trail into the back country in this area.

#2: After our visit to Lake McDonald Lodge, we hit a pull-off within miles. While taking photos of a mountain peak, we noticed what looked like a cabin at the very top. This was I believe a fire look out tower. The ranger on the boat trip said that there are some shelters in the park for hikers, and it sounded like they are first come, first serve.

#3: I guess you are already a rugged hiker/camper? This area is so rural, I would recommend either buying a personal locator beacon or renting one. Plenty of folks take the signal mirrors, smoke canisters, etc., but they have no way to call for help to use those things later on. I would also have bear spray for everyone. If anyone is willing, a 4" barrel .44mag would be something to think about as well (don't forget, no knives or guns in Canada, and you can only have a handgun in the park if the state license/permit is recognized by Montana. Firearms are banned from structures though).

#4: If you plan on crossing into Canada, remember passports are now required for border crossings.

And finally, the ultimate Glacier Park info source:

Glacier National Park Chat • Index page

I hope to get back out to the area in the next couple of years. This time, I'm getting up at first light and getting some short trail hiking done. The wife can do her normal sleep-in thing!

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

Yes. In Sept., we were told that cooler fall weather had arrived early when we were in Rapid City. This was true for our entire N. Rocky Mountain trip. It will get cool as soon as the sun starts going down, and will be cold when you wake up in the morning. I think it was hitting upper 60s/low 70s when we went, but I was still OK wearing my long sleeve hoodie and shorts. I think it is more of a cooler 60s/70s.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    My wife and I were there in early September of 2009 and we loved it. We didn't do any long hikes just a lot of short day hikes, but we had a great time. I would definitely recommend driving the whole Going To The Sun Road. We did a Red Bus Tour while we were there that was kinda cool too, but if your main reason for going is hiking and camping I would say you could skip that and be fine. The weather in early September (Labor Dayish) was actually pretty chilly. It was in the upper 30's during the morning and warmed up to maybe 50's or 60's at the warmest part of the day. I would recommend bringing layers.

As far as places to see I would recommend Hidden Lake which can be accessed by a trail at Logan Pass. I think the best view of the lake is actually about 200-300 yards further down the trail from the "official" viewing platform.

MTHiddenLake1.jpg

Hidden Lake

MTNBgoats.jpg

Hidden Lake with Goats!

Other short hike that we both enjoyed was the hike to Baring Falls. That hike has you walking along one of the many lakes until you get into the woods which made it nice to get to see both types of landscapes.

MTBaringFallsTrail.jpg

Trail to Baring Falls

MTBaringfalls.jpg

Baring Falls

I would also say you should see the lodges in the park. They are very cool to see even if you just have lunch or dinner in them which is what we did.

I would say that overall the Many Glacier area was our favorite, but when we go back I would still try and hit all the different areas of the park.

MTManyglacier.jpg

Many Glacier

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If you are a morning person, I there is a parking area on the west side of St Mary's lake with a view to the east. It's a high vantage point, the view of the sunrise there is absolutely spectacular.

257robertsimp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Have been there twice on motorcycle. No real time to hike as we went to Yellowstone too. Limited access by road, but mountains more rugged than any further south in USA

Top Bottom