• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You live, then you die, whatever kind of weather occurs during that span cannot be controlled, so I don't believe anything I hear from any source. All I know is, when I'm dead, it won't matter to me who was telling the truth. I'm sick of this hot weather right now, and in six months, I'll be sick of the cold weather, sooooo......

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Wow, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

Haven't heard that since I took some environmental courses at IU Bloomington in the mid/late 1970's.
    When we were preparing for global cooling and the soon coming ice age...

I hear it a lot, as in "We need donations from alumni like you."

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Wow, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

Haven't heard that since I took some environmental courses at IU Bloomington in the mid/late 1970's.
    When we were preparing for global cooling and the soon coming ice age...

I try very hard to be a good student. Even when the prof is being an idiot, I usually didn't engage them.

I had a SPEA prof once try to tell the class that it was too bad we couldn't launch the ozone from polluted cities like LA up into the upper atmosphere to replace the lost ozone up there. She took great offense when I said that it didn't work like that and then tried to browbeat me down with some nonsense. When I told her she was wrong she then basically said "well if you're so smart then why don't you tell us how it works" which is a tactic that often works with know-it-all students to shut them up.

Unfortunately for her, at that point in my life I'd been doing adult education for almost a decade so I was not afraid to get up in front of a class, and I was very thoroughly versed with that aspect of atmospheric science. So I did. I spent ten minutes explaining to the class the mechanisms of ozone production and recycling in the upper atmosphere, including diagrams on the board and some suggested further reading for folks interested in the topic. I got applause from the class, and she never let me speak again and rarely made eye contact the rest of the semester.

The time I told another SPEA professor that he had an incomplete understanding of how hydrogen as an energy source (it's not a source, it's a delivery mechanism) went over similarly well.

Policy wonks very rarely have anything more than a superficial understanding of science and engineering and it's pretty dumb for them to try to argue beyond policy.

Top Bottom