• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    OK so the dilemma isn't with the actual pistol itself but rather my wife. Im looking to get a ruger sr1911 and leave my g17 at the house for my wife to use for hd. Only problem is with the slide closed she cannot chamber a round (shoulder problems). If I was to change out the recoil spring to a lighter one would that help or cause function problems? Other than that she shots the pistol like a champ!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Chamber a round? Just keep a round chambered.

My mother can rack the slide easily, by just holding the slide with one hand, and pushing on the grip of the gun with the other.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Rest rear sights on a table with the muzzle facing the floor. Push down on the grip, pull back away from table. Round is chambered using body weight almost exclusively.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Man everyone already said what I was going to say... Your wife should be good to go with your 17!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I agree with others who suggest you just leave it loaded and chambered in a holster. You don't want her fumbling around in a stressful situation trying to rack the slide, especially if she can't practice until she can do it with her eyes closed, or with one hand.

If she is going to handle the gun, she should practice until she learns how to properly manipulate it.

[video=youtube_share;kbayNc6D9HY]http://youtu.be/kbayNc6D9HY[/video]

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I keep all my handguns loaded with one in the chamber.... under stress you don't want to have to wonder if you racked the slide.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Also, I would forget about getting a Ruger, and get a Glock 19 instead. You already have a Glock 17 for the house, get a G19 because you can share magazines.

Plus, your wife an shoot your G17 "like a champ", which means she could shoot your EDC G19 as well too.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Well, in real life you would just rack the slide and loose 1 round at worst... But I understand this is INGO, and we need to overthink everything.

Why would you do that? Should I expect my wife to know how to operate the weapon?

Isn't it a lot simpler to just load it +1 so all anyone has to do is pull the trigger?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Also, I would forget about getting a Ruger, and get a Glock 19 instead. You already have a Glock 17 for the house, get a G19 because you can share magazines.

Plus, your wife an shoot your G17 "like a champ", which means she could shoot your EDC G19 as well too.

Wrong! The correct answer is to buy the wife a Glock 19, leave the Glock 17 at home AND buy a Ruger SR1911.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    To answer your question, No it won't cause any feeding issues. Stock recoil spring is 17lbs, i ran a 15 lb spring in mine for several years worth of matches and practice and never had any problems. A good friend of mine ran a 13lb spring in his, also no issues. Ive heard of guys using recoil springs as light as 11lbs, though I haven't tried it personally. You will want to buy a new guide rod to install the spring on, then loctite the cap screw and you should be fine. Id try shooting it a few hundred rounds, but I doubt you will have a problem. I agree its best to keep the chamber hot, but its foolish to leave the lady with a gun she can't operate if she had to.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I suggest that in order for her to effectively use any weapon in a self defense situation she has to be very comfortable with the weapon to start with, there is techniques that she can use to rack the slide but in my opinion there is a lot more about using a weapon other than just racking the slide. I suggest maybe to take a class or two and go from there.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Man this guy is smart!

bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    Thanks for the replies. Right now she has the mossberg at the house and she says that sh will never have to shoot it cause when someone sees a crazy woman with a gun they will leave immediately. I probably get the g19 instead and down the road maybe a 45. I just really wanted to try a 1911 and don't know if I would disturbing my hide to something along the lines as a high standard or ria. Thanks again

Top Bottom