• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    Yesterday I bought a G17 that came with two magazines. I noticed one of the magazines was a little shorter than than the other. The shorter one is tall enough to activate the slide-lock mechanism but not tall enough to chamber a round. It is a 17 round magazine.

I am wondering if maybe it's a G19 magazine? It is stamped with the Glock logo.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    It doesn't seem to be extended. It's marked for seventeen rounds. The little ridge on the side of the mags is on the opposite side on the shorter one. I can't give pics right now I'm working.

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    Me too, hence why I asked if the mag was a 15rd marked mag or not. but the 19 mag wouldnt lock into the mag catch, let alone the slide lock. Makes me think its a 19 mag since it isnt chamberign the round. Glock had a few months of shipping wrong mags in the guns when they went to the new non sealed labels on the boxes

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    WOW, you got me on that one. Positive note at least new Glock factory mags are cheap and easy to find. Was it used??? Maybe just old, worn down and out factory mags?? Not dropping free would make me think they are old school non full metal lined mags. Easy to tell if you cant see a silver thin metal liner on the back and 2 sides of the mag. Wish i could be of more help for you

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    It seats and drops free and locks the slide back. It is less then an inch shorter, just a couple centimeters. Enough to be noticeable but still lock the slide. I'll take pics when I get off work.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    First question: are they both factory Glock magazines?
    Second: did you buy the gun new or used?
    Third: if used, has the gun been modified or "tricked out" in any way?

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    They both came with the gun, I bought the gun in a new in box unfired condition from a member here. The gun fit the bill, still had the copper grease on the rails. Both magazines have Glock stamps.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    They both came with the gun, I bought the gun in a new in box unfired condition from a member here. The gun fit the bill, still had the copper grease on the rails. Both magazines have Glock stamps.

That's wierd, then. I suggest calling Glock in Smyrna (Atlanta) and talk with a tech. They have always been very helpful when I have sought help.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Do the followers on the magazines have the same number? If you look at the baseplate is there a hole that isn't filled in either of the magazines? When loading the magazine, is there the same amount of pressure needed in both to push down on the follower and spring? Do you have only these two magazines or do you have a few others to run through the gun?

I'm suspecting the spring is weak, or that one of the magazines got switched around and you either have an old one and new one (which can happen any number of places in the supply chain). With it being so new (is there a manufacture date on the label?), I'm sure Glock will help make it right. If you can with the mags empty, open the chamber and the slide release locks the slide back you should be able to see it's ability to seat properly. If the magazines are both factory 9mm designed for use on the 17 and 34 the variation will be below the grip not at the top of the magazine. If you can see them both seat properly when empty, try downloading the mags by one or two rounds to break in the new springs, or load them full and let them sit for a week, if the spring is too stiff I've seen people having difficulty getting the mag to seat properly, but usually that means it falling back out or not getting the click. Magazines are the most common point of failure across semi autos, I'd suggest keeping an eye out for sales on factory Glock magazines and always keep a few extras, I've found excellent deals on LE trade ins that I supplement with factory new magazines, and I always number them so I can point the trouble magazine the way you managed to here.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    The one that works is stamped 9mm towards the top and the other doesn't have anything in the same spot. All the numbers are slighty lower. Yet the number on the baseplate is the same, 3206. I think it is a poorly made cheap knock off made out of spec.

Top Bottom