• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Great that the OP got taken care of, but I'm still wondering:

1) what was wrong with the NFML mag that wouldn't allow it to function properly in a Gen3 pistol

and

2) why GM would be selling a 3-year old pistol with even older mags as "new"?
    I'd still stand by #1 being a spring issue, and #2 my guess would be Gander opened it up and stuck it in the case, and someone put it next to an older Glock and played around with them and things fit, so they got mixed up getting put back in the case. Still "new", but I'd bet "display"

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Shooter521 is probably one of THE best Glock armorers in our state, I've trusted his advice for several years now. You can find him at Bradis when he's not solving problems here on INGO for free.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Generally when a mag doesn't work, I throw it deep in woods or in the nearest river. It's not worth the time and/or effort to trouble shoot them. Many a person and experienced smith has put them self though many a sleepless nights trying to trouble shoot an issue that is seems to be mag related. If a mag doesn't work, get rid of it, and find a new one.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    The old mag got slipped in somehow, thats a fact, now you have another new mag and are good to go, thats what this INGO family is all about, and like family we hash things out here in the forums like family sitting around the dinner table each with his/her own opinion, but in the end we hopefullyget it all sorted out and like I said now your good to go. By the way two things here are two NDF old style G-17 mags on Gunbroker.com for $34 "Buy Now" GLOCK 17 - MAGAZINE - 17-RD. QNTY. (2) USED : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com, and yes shooter 521 is the schnizzzle when it comes to the plastic pistol of the Gods..........I need an excuse to drop by Braddis after work tomorrow and say Hi ? Hmmm thats it! I need to see his "Glock collection" !

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Since we have determined this is not a new mag is it possible someone took this apart and put it together wrong, spring backwards, replaced the follower with different model or something like that.

I have two mags like the one is question that I got in some trade or purchase and they feed fine for me in my Gen3. now someone added a +2 mag ext so could be a different sping but I doubt it.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Newbomb was cool about everything. Bottom line, I found someone with an older model willing to trade me a new model magazine for the old one that works in his gun. Once again the knowledge on INGO has saved the day, and Newbomb was good to deal with and I already had given him props via I trader. I'd recommend him to anyone.

This is exactly why I love this site so much. Peeps here get to the bottom of things quickly....

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    Generally when a mag doesn't work, I throw it deep in woods or in the nearest river. It's not worth the time and/or effort to trouble shoot them. Many a person and experienced smith has put them self though many a sleepless nights trying to trouble shoot an issue that is seems to be mag related. If a mag doesn't work, get rid of it, and find a new one.
    This is wisdom!:cool:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I'm the one who traded a new mag for his to help him out. I finally got a chance to look at the mag and believe I have figured out the issue.

I have a Gen1 G17 and the mags are a tad bit shorter than your newer mags, so I used mine to compare. I could load my identical mag but could not load this one. After close inspection. The baseplate on my mag is different then the one from the OP. Closer inspection showed the baseplate to be a 455 model on mine and a newer 3206 plate on his. Its kinda hard to see but my mag the 455 plate slopes in at the top to give you about an extra 1/8 inch to seat it in the magwell. The newer baseplates do not and thats just the amount its off by. I tested this by swapping the newer plate on my gen1 mag and it had the same problem.

So anyone have a 455 plate lying around? :D

OP mag on top. Mine on bottom.

ce4a99fb.jpg

Last edited:

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I got the mag baseplate in and noticed that when I tried taking the old plate off I couldn't get it off. I saw some nice shiny stuff on the plate and mag and just assumed it was oil or cleaning residue... Nope the baseplate was super glued on. A couple of soft squeezes with the robo grips and I couldn hear the glue pop as it released its hold on it.

96ccb325.jpg

So I put it back together and noticed the locking plate doesn't sit in the baseplate, that made since, as they changed those with the newer plate as well. Easy enough fix. However I thought the spring seemed short as well so to compare I took my Gen1 mag apart and sure enough. My Gen1 is on the left, the repair mag is on the right.
    40004c28.jpg

My guess is this is a G19 or even a G26 mag perhaps. Someone just pieced it together is my guess from the parts bin.

So I've had enough of this mag, just swapping out the baseplate, locking plate, spring and a new follower and she'll be good as new.

Top Bottom